1 year degree courses

richardw
richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have found on the AAT site, that there are 2 universities where it may be possible to do a degree in one year, after AAT:
Northumbria & Napier

Im due to finish my AAT with the last exams June 2009.
As theres nowhere to progress to where i currently work, & with the current financial/employment problems:

is it worth taking a year out, from Sep 2009, to get a degree in accounting?

wouldnt be any problems with funding it
highest qualifications i have so far are a-levels

Comments

• ambitious
    ambitious Banned User Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    After reading your post can you not study CIMA or ACCA further ? I think ACCA even do a degree in accounting from Oxford Brookes for a year. You might want to look at that. Its your choice. Personally however I would go on and just get CIMA or ACCA if not at your current employer then maybe be patient with them or find another place to go further. I did a maths degree and like you I'm in my technician year due to finish in Jun 09. But I cannot go further without a permanent job so I will end it there until I find a permanent job. But I never felt my degree gave me the edge in interviews I needed. A degree in accounting of course is a different story and you might get more exemptions with that when doing ACCA or CIMA. In any case good luck with whatever decision you make.
  • Adam
    Adam Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    I've done the Northumbria Degree and I must admit I really really enjoyed it! Its a lot different from the AAT, you receive lessons, but there is a lot of personal study.

Is it worth it?

Well that depends on where you live, me, a northerner, up here there really isn't many opportunities for people with degrees, so when I finished sixth form i started an AAT apprenticeship. Only after i finished that did i go to Northumbria, wanted the challenge (none of my fiends got a first, but I did :cool2:).

Depends on loads of things really, what you want to do career wise is important to.

If you wish send me a PM

All the best
  • Norris
    Norris Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    I did the Northumbria degree that Adam is talking about (graduated 2008). It was good, and not all that difficult, but yes you have to do a fair bit of studying in your own time. Think we had mainly short-ish assignments in semester 1 and mainly exams in semester 2 plus dissertation (or 'Project', as martin calls it).

I would say, in hindsight, that if you have the full AAT it's better to move straight on to the ACCA, ACA, or CIMA if you can because you don't absolutely NEED a degree to work in Accountancy, unless of course there's a particular job you want that requires it. And Uni is fun - plenty of time for social activities...

considering the current job market, getting a BA Hons could be a wise move, though it doesn't give any exemptions from the above mentioned professional qualifications.

Application process is currently in full swing through UCAS.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    richardw wrote: »
    I have found on the AAT site, that there are 2 universities where it may be possible to do a degree in one year, after AAT:
    Northumbria & Napier

Im due to finish my AAT with the last exams June 2009.
    As theres nowhere to progress to where i currently work, & with the current financial/employment problems:

is it worth taking a year out, from Sep 2009, to get a degree in accounting?

wouldnt be any problems with funding it
    highest qualifications i have so far are a-levels

I also read about this some time ago, its the foundation degree isnt it? i was a little tempted but from what i understand a lot of practises prefere either of CIMA ACCA ACA ICAEW ect..
  • Norris
    Norris Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    The one at Northumbria is not a foundation degree. It's a full BA Hons in one year, providing you meet the entry requirements you go straight to the final year of the degree. Northumbria actually has a range of one year degrees, known as 'top-up degrees'. Check out their website: http://www.newcastlebusinessschool.co.uk/
  • I am not quite sure on one year. My local university said that they would give me exemption from the first year of a BSc (Hons) degree which leaves me to complete the final two years.

It is also worth noting that after the two years, you can gain exemption from three of the CIMA managerial level exams, depending on what discipline you take for the degree. If you take the other three CIMA managerial level exams while you are doing your degree then at the end of the degree, you will have the managerial level cleared. This would normally take a CIMA student 18 months to do but you have done it in 24 and gained an undergraduate degree. :thumbup:
Privacy Policy