Salary after AAT

GGG
GGG Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
Hi All,

Does anyone have any idea what salary you can expect after completing AAT. Lets say with 4 years experience in finance department and AAT qualification? Just want to know what to expect and so not to put my expectations too high.

Comments

• Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Depending where you are I would guess based on my previous experience at 18 - 20k
  • It depends really. You might be looking at £16 - 25k.
  • GGG
    GGG Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Really? I am based in London, doing level 4 AAT and thought I was underpaid. I thought you gen get 25k without doubt after finishing the whole course.
    That's a disappointment. Is it really worth it then? I am not sure.
  • There are usually 2 choices after AAT. The most common is that you use the AAT as a stepping stone on to a CCAB qualification. Failing that, you register as an AAT MIP and go self employed.

Sitting on the AAT qualification and doing nothing with it is just pointless. You won’t see a big pay rise if you choose to do nothing with it.
  • jay cutler
    jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    I think the main purpose of the AAT qualification is to get people qualified for roles they could not otherwise apply for. I'm in this situation but come Aug when I predict I will be qulified I will want to study further but hope the AAT qualification will let employers consider me for budgeting roles or something higher level. Otherwise how do you satisfy the work experience requirements for ACCA or CIMA ? End of the day I want to prepare trial balances or management accounts, not just behave as a crash dummy inputting, photocopying and filing invoices and other accounting documents.

I'm not yet qualified but I do earn £12.50 per hour as a temp. So what I expect when I'm qualified I have no idea.
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    GGG wrote: »

Of course it is. Completing AAT course sets you up for more responsibility within the workplace. It doesn't mean you can challenge the company accountant for their role, but it does mean you have a sound understanding of how it all works.

Knowing what salaray to expect at the moment is difficult - not many are employing and those that are doing so will offer the minimum they can. I have seen on the tinterweb that AAT qualifieds earn as little as £14k. Now it's up to you as a person to say something if you feel undervalued, but it's AAT not CIMA or another more advanced qualification.

On most recruitment agencies, you will see advertisements for part qualified CIMA studiers coming in at anywhere between 17 - 22k with the odd exception where you may be offered 20 - 24/5k based on experience. I can only speak for the north west and not London, I understand Londoners get an extra £3k "inner-city-working-bonus"? but don't quote me on that.
    Don Juan wrote:
    It depends really. You might be looking at £16 - 25k.

That's a pretty wide berth!
    GGG wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea what salary you can expect after completing AAT. Lets say with 4 years experience in finance department and AAT qualification? Just want to know what to expect and so not to put my expectations too high.

I had 3 years experience when I started the AAT course, I didn't finish the course through boredom, at the time I was on 17k in North West.
    I now have 6 years experience, still no AAT I doubt I ever will and i'm at the top end of Don Juan's estimate.
    It's hard to estimate in the current market what the rates are, you'd just have to search for AAT vacancies and work out an average and go from there. With 4 years exp though and AAT qual, I wouldn't take less than 17k Northern or £20-21k London.

Good Luck
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    Buff wrote: »
    AAT qualifieds earn as little as £14k.
    Good Luck

£13k:crying:
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    4 years in an accountany practise handle everything from payroll vat contractors new client procedures started full accounts from first reciept to sending out abb accounts one exam at advanced certificate to do and only on 13K
  • AdamR wrote: »
    £13k:crying:

:lol:
  • Gianni
    Gianni Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    In terms of the North West I've had recruitment agencies on offering staff who are AAT studiers (technician level) at £14k. This seemed extremely low to me but may be a sign of the times at the moment. I think the problem is with times tough more qualified candidates are taking any jobs and thus it will squeeze AAT students out a little.
  • Gianni wrote: »
    In terms of the North West I've had recruitment agencies on offering staff who are AAT studiers (technician level) at £14k. This seemed extremely low to me but may be a sign of the times at the moment. I think the problem is with times tough more qualified candidates are taking any jobs and thus it will squeeze AAT students out a little.

Very true. :thumbdown:
  • po1988
    po1988 Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    hello, i was wondering this as well as i live in lincoln in Lincolnshire (east midlands) and am currenty in the last year of AAT. I thought i am being underpaid too as i feel i can now do the majority of work that fully qualified accounttants do, with some help of course. I get paid 12k at the mo and was wondering if people thought this seemed reasonable for my area. Iv been working full time in an accounts practise for 1 and half years.

Thanks
  • I live in Hull and that is what people in practice get paid here too. It's ridiculous to be honest...you are completely exploited. Fair enough they pay for your AAT but it only costs £600 a year at Hull College.
  • po1988
    yep, when it comes to futher accounting qualifications, i can understand cause the fees are massive for these like acca. But i am hoping somehow maybe my pay will at least reach 15k when qualified, cause its a full qualification really, and to try buy things these days like to get a mortgage, unless you got two incomes or your on loads its near impossible.
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    you dont get if you dont ask! im with a small business and im only just completing AAT intermediate and Level 2 Payroll. When i started with the company i was on 12k but i wasn't doing much accounts but then i started the AAT course and was soon doing the sales ledger. After completing foundation i believed this deserved a pay rise, so i asked and got. When i started doing sales ledger it was more responsibility so i asked for a pay rise, and got! I started the payroll course because they said in the near future they wanted me to do the company payroll, which isnt hard as it only employs approx 20 staff. So i made it clear i expected a pay rise on completion of the course!

If you think you're being underpaid, ask for a pay rise! The worst they can say is no, and if they do say no then at least you know where you stand in the company!
  • po1988
    yer, i might do that when i see what pay rise i get on completion of AAT. Where do you live tho?
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    north west, forgot to mention that! make sure they know you expect a pay rise. Personally i'd ask for one after your exams in June, presuming you pass of course!! Good luck :-)
  • Gianni
    Gianni Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    Rachey sounds demanding!

To be fair I agree, I've never got a payrise without asking. Before you ask it's always wise to compare yourself to current market rates and jobs available. I've often asked for payrises by walking in and saying "I've looked on the open market and I think I'm worth x, what do you think?".
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Really? I am based in London, doing level 4 AAT and thought I was underpaid. I thought you gen get 25k without doubt after finishing the whole course.

oh yeah, in London you definately get between £22k and £25k, have a look on Reed website....

I'm between that salaries and I started Technician two months ago.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi All,

I think its harder to put a price on aat than something like acca.

Really depends what you're doing in the finance department?!

If its a clerk then around £15k+ If you've moved up to some sort of accounts preperation or management decision making then its be heading to £25k...
  • Londina
    PGM wrote: »
    If its a clerk then around £15k+ If you've moved up to some sort of accounts preperation or management decision making then its be heading to £25k...

mmm a clerk @ £15k?!?! not in London!!! the starting salaries are usually around £17/18K in any office job

As I said, have a look in Reed, examples:

Accounts Assistant
    Location London, South East England
    Salary £21,000 - £24,000 per annum, inc benefits
    Sector Accountancy - Accounts Assistant
    Date 31 Mar

Accounts Assistant / Assistant Accountant
    Location Central London, London
    Salary £21,000 - £23,000 per annum, negotiable
    Date 30 Mar

Accounts Assistant - AAT Qualified
    Location London, Central London
    Salary £20,000 - £22,000 per annum
    Sector Accountancy - Assistant Accountant
    Date 31 Mar
  • PGM
    Londina wrote: »
    mmm a clerk @ £15k?!?! not in London!!! the starting salaries are usually around £17/18K in any office job

As I said, have a look in Reed, examples:

Accounts Assistant
    Location London, South East England
    Salary £21,000 - £24,000 per annum, inc benefits
    Date 31 Mar

Accounts Assistant / Assistant Accountant
    Location Central London, London
    Salary £21,000 - £23,000 per annum, negotiable
    Date 30 Mar

Accounts Assistant - AAT Qualified
    Location London, Central London
    Salary £20,000 - £22,000 per annum
    Sector Accountancy - Assistant Accountant
    Date 31 Mar

True, London you would expect to be that much more. Although I'd expect accounts assistant to be a step up from clerk.
  • Londina
    exactly, that's why a clerk gets £16-17K and an accounts assistant £18-20K
  • PGM
    Londina wrote: »
    exactly, that's why a clerk gets £16-17K and an accounts assistant £18-20K

Yes I agree! Still not sure exactly how much more the aat is worth, although it will make moving up in the company easier!
  • reereegirl
    reereegirl Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Salary after AAT

I've never posted before, so bear with me!

I'm in the Northwest and I passed the Technician exams last June. I had no experience at all of working in finance and was lucky enough to land a job as an ACCA trainee at a large mid-tier firm. My starting wage was £18k and this goes up as I pass exams. (first sitting this June!).

I thought that was a decent starting wage but now after reading some of the posts I'm feeling a little undervalued!
  • mahdi87
    mahdi87 Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    £12/h my first job no experience watsoever.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    hey reereee girl.....that not abad starting wage...

18k in north west with no experience ?

wish i seen that one ?
  • samiur
    samiur Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi , I have been workign as a bookkeepr since last six year . I started for level 3 Diploma of AAT last year. I was exempted from level 2 because of having previous bookkeepig experience. Now i am currently getting £22.5k per year under 37 hours full time contract. I am doing level 3. In addtion to , i did IAB SAGE computerised Accounting course 2 years ago. AAT has recently recongnise my last six years experience. After finishing my AAT level 4 , I will get MAAT status and look for salary at least £26k. do you have any opinion about my expectation whether it is reasonable.

Please help me to understand. samiur
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    Don Juan wrote: »

:lol:

Wow this is a bit harsh, everywhere and every company is different, I run a company with my dad, carried on AAT from my previous job but moved back and I am on less than this, difference is most days I love my job!
Privacy Policy