64-8 and online authorisation

Options
Dottie
Dottie Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

Is it necessary to complete both the online authorisation and submit a paper 64-8?

I thought the whole idea was to speed things up and cut down on the paperwork.

Have been dealing with a client's PAYE with online authorisation since last April. I needed to speak to someone at HMRC today and they would not deal with me until I had faxed through the 64-8. Extremely frustrating first thing on a Monday morning!

Thanks

Dottie

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Dottie wrote: »
    Hi

Is it necessary to complete both the online authorisation and submit a paper 64-8?

I thought the whole idea was to speed things up and cut down on the paperwork.

Have been dealing with a client's PAYE with online authorisation since last April. I needed to speak to someone at HMRC today and they would not deal with me until I had faxed through the 64-8. Extremely frustrating first thing on a Monday morning!

Thanks

Dottie

they will accept a fax? your lucky
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Have you got authorisation for them to talk to you, or just to file online (FBI) - the two are very different :confused1:

Claudia
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I used to only get online authorisation but I've had so many problems that we now get both done, I was once told by the Revenue that you still need to submit both but I don't believe that is correct.

I always get online authorisation but keep a 64-8 in the file to fax through if necessary.
  • monkeypuzzle47
    monkeypuzzle47 Registered Posts: 134 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Personally have never used paper 64-8 and never have had a problem. Online authorisation is sufficient.
    And paper 64-8s are not required as it is exactly the same thing.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I end up having to fax them when I need to talk about a client and their authorisation has dropped off the system! I know i'm not the only one who's had this as there's a whole thread on accounting web about it
Privacy Policy