Bookkeeping Client

jilt
jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I have a client who I provide bookkeeping services for. Every month I have the same problems, trying to balance journals to post the sales from his 3 off licences. There are either insufficient bankings or the amount transferred to petty cash does not agree with the receipts given etc etc

Also have problems reconciling his main supplier's account. Payments are taken weekly by DD and it is often very difficult to allocate these payments as I don't have the info regarding which invoices they are clearing.

This client pays a pittance for this monthly service which takes far longer each month than anticipated mainly because I quoted my fees based on the info provided by the client. ie receiving a detailed report from which to post his sales - yes I do get a report but the info on it is inaccurate and I end up gathering info from various sources then try to get the journals to balance.
And how difficult would you expect it to be posting supplier payments?

Well after boring the pants off you all, who's responsibilty would you say it is to get info from suppliers in order to match payents to invoices etc. Am I being unreasonable in asking him to get this information or should I put my dummy back in and get on with it?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    I'd ask him to get it and if he cannot or will not thats your in to up the fee, as the work is obviously taking longer than you thought due to him being economical with the truth.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    jilt wrote: Β»
    This client pays a pittance for this monthly service which takes far longer each month than anticipated mainly because I quoted my fees based on the info provided by the client. ie receiving a detailed report from which to post his sales - yes I do get a report but the info on it is inaccurate

Tell him to get accurate info or revise your quote significantly upward. Simple as.
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Bookkeeping

Hi Jilt

It does seem as though this client is taking advantage of I assume a fixed monthly fee, by providing inaccurate or incomplete data. For all except one of my bookkeeping clients I charge on an hourly basis. Although each month doesn't differ by much it does allow for those occasions where things aren't in such good order.

Try to explain to your client that your fee quote was based on the information provided at your first meeting and that is not what is being delivered. Hopefully he will realise that you are doing a good job and does need you.

If your client doesn't respect you or the need for complete and accurate records, wherever possible, then you might be better off without him.
Privacy Policy