Hey you lot. Need some advice.

steveJ
steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
Im 25 and currently working for Ford Motor Company on the moving line as an operator (putting parts on engines in a factory)

Obviously, studying the AAT i want to become an accountant , so i have been searching for jobs and today i finally got a call back for an interview tomorrow.

The job is as an accounts assistant in a property lettings agency.

My problem is thus:

Where i am currently working - boring, mind numbing and shift work, but Excellent pay at Β£400 per week.

But this new job would be Β£17000 per year (roughly Β£260 per week) working in the tenant control department.

Job description-

My client is looking for an enthusiastic candidate who has a healthy interest in accounts. It is a busy role within the Tenant Control Department.

Duties include:-

Enter Rental Receipts from Postal payments, Bank Statements, Counter payments
Monitor Housing Benefit payments and correspond where necessary when required
Bank Reconciliations
Rent Registrations, Applications and Appeals
Correspondence in respect of new tenancies and vacations notices in particular

What would you lot do ?

Stay with the boring, but good paid job until further educated or just go for it and get into the accounting environment/experience ??

:thumbup1:
:thumbdown:
???

Comments

• columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

My advice is simple if you can afford the pay cut and get offered the job then go for it as it is a way into an accounts related position which could either lead to a promotion within the company, or give you valuable experience to take with you to another job.

So many people manage to get the qualification but have no experience, so I would suggest that the sooner you get into an accounts position the better.

However, only you can truly answer this question. I wouldn't want you to sell yourself short, but I also wouldn't want you to miss out on an opportunity.

All the very best with your decision, and if you go for the job then good luck with the interview :thumbup:

All the best

Tracy
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    well if your training to go into accounts the best thing is to take the pay cut to get your foot in the door ....
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Yep that's what I thought. I have worked out my outgoings and can afford the paycut.

I would ultimately love to work for one of the big 4 - what kind of qualifications and experience would they usually be looking for ? ACCA, CIMA ? 3 - 4 years experience ? Just so I know what to aim for...

Also any advice for the interview ?
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    As a non graduate, your best bet is to approach them as experienced hire after you have completed your ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualification. By which time you will have 4 or 5 years experience. Many CIMA qualified individuals work in consultancy roles at the big four, however ACA or ACCA are generally accepted as the main practice based qualifications.

Competition is strong. But the market value of big four on your CV is second to no-one in this profession, as you probably know.
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Sorry to sound a bit naiive but who are the 'big 4'? I've seent them mentioned on these forums a few times.
  • Sonny_L
    The four largest accountancy practices in the world.

1. Price Waterhouse Coopers
    2. Deloitte
    3. KPMG
    4. Ernst & Young

They have a great reputation, those accountants who make it as FTSE directors or land front office roles in investment banks seem to ALWAYS have a big four background.
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Ok thanks Sonny, I take it that these all have practices in London?
  • Sonny_L
    Yeah, no doubt.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Esme wrote: Β»
    Ok thanks Sonny, I take it that these all have practices in London?

I know KPMG do as my partners sister works with them (started by doing AAT)
  • Sonny_L
    All of the big four have offices in London. There's nothing good the rest of the country has that the good old big smoke doesn't.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Sonny_L wrote: Β»
    All of the big four have offices in London. There's nothing good the rest of the country has that the good old big smoke doesn't.

Well am just sat waiting for my invite down by alan sugar (sir) but till then not very tempted to move down :lol:
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I agree with whats been said already, if you can afford the pay cut, then take the job. Nothing beats real life work experience in my opinion and you'll need as much of it as you can get before you can demand more money.

I think if you can't afford it, you'll seriously need to consider saving money up so you can one day afford to take the pay cut as you are unlikely to get a job for Β£400 a week right now - or even once you are fully qualified AAT. You'll need the experience, so go for the role, imho
  • SeanyBoy
    SeanyBoy Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘

Lets face it if you are a large company you are not likely to set up in a place like Manchester... or even worse... Liverpool.... (football related insult only guys!)
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    There's nothing good the rest of the country has that the good old big smoke doesn't.

I hear those t'up north are still quite good at wife beating…..?

Tis a forgotten art….

:001_tongue:
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    SeanyBoy wrote: Β»
    Lets face it if you are a large company you are not likely to set up in a place like Manchester... or even worse... Liverpool.... (football related insult only guys!)
    Ernst & Young used to have an office in Glasgow, don't know if they still do? So did KPMG.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I worked at EY for 2 years (for my sins!) and yes, they had offices all over the country, including glasgow. My team processsed tax returns for the north & i think that included the Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham & Hull offices.
    For the record, the pay was rubbish! It was only when I got a distinction in the ATT exams that I got a payrise from Β£11 to Β£14k. I didn't stick around to see whether it might improve...
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    I hit her once...........but she got me back. Darn.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Cullen wrote: Β»
    EH!!
  • SeanyBoy
    SeanyBoy Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Cullen wrote: Β»

I heard she gave a right beating..
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Took me a month to recover.
Privacy Policy