Cheapest Method / Skills Tests / Simmulations

BenAllen
BenAllen Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
Hi i understand that the cheapest way to go through the AAT qualification is by being an external student buying the books and booking the exams through AAT. However dont you need to be registered with a learning provider to do the skill tests/Simmulations? and if all the learning providers only offer you there package courses your paying for the books anyway? So this is mainly to the people who have done the course as external students how did you take your skill tests with out haveing to pay a rediculous amount for the course packages?

Kind Regards
Ben

Comments

• moorfield
    moorfield Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    BenAllen wrote: »
    Hi i understand that the cheapest way to go through the AAT qualification is by being an external student buying the books and booking the exams through AAT. However dont you need to be registered with a learning provider to do the skill tests/Simmulations? and if all the learning providers only offer you there package courses your paying for the books anyway? So this is mainly to the people who have done the course as external students how did you take your skill tests with out haveing to pay a rediculous amount for the course packages?

Kind Regards
    Ben

Hi I have just come on here to ask a similar question. Is there any means by which I can work through the AAT Diploma exams myself without signing up for distance learning packages / courses at circa £800-£1000 a pop? I have enough experience of basic accounting gained from previous (IT) jobs to feel confident that I can do AAT with minimal support, perhaps just buying the texts myself off Amazon / Ebay etc. Perhaps I should put this question to AAT directly also.
  • Going to college 2 nights a week (6 hrs) costs around £600 per year in my area. You should look into it as I find taught tuition better than distance.

It is also worth remembering that the AAT qualification is free to those who are unemployed when registering at a college. For two years I was unemployed at the time of registering. I managed to get a job shortly afterwards but that was purely coincidence. You still have to pay for the exams though and AAT membership. :thumbup1:
  • EmmaW
    EmmaW Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    For the exam based modules, you can buy second hand study text on ebay/amazon.the aat forum books for sale section etc (or even borrow books from the library) and enter the exams direct. I think that I spent about £20 buying two books for the ECR module for the December exams and obviously the exam fee on top.
    Unfortunately you do have to go to a learning provider for the simulation modules, you can buy them seperately for about £150 ish (they do vary) - I use Kaplan - but this is the cheapest way that I have found to study.
    Em:001_smile:
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Its only free foundation year not the second year
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    The second year is free at college if you are under 25 and do not hold an nvq level 3 or equivalent. Hope this helps some of you (but sadly not me!! :sad:)

Hope you manage to find somewhere suitable!! :thumbup:
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    I got all three years free after starting a job at an accountancy practice at 16. The college even paid my membership fees each year until I qualified!
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    My local colege does all three levels full time (16 hours) for justa n administration fee of £10

The other alternative is an apprenticeship if you qualify.
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    My local colege does all three levels full time (16 hours) for justa n administration fee of £10

The other alternative is an apprenticeship if you qualify.

Is there an age limit on that though? Most colleges offer free full time courses if your under 24, but charge for part time. Bit of a bummer really :thumbdown:
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    no I am over 40 and got my 3 years for free
Privacy Policy