Bookkeeping Courses

LosRojos
LosRojos Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
I'm going to be cheeky and have my first post on here asking for advice.

I'm just coming to the end of my AAT qualification and want to find some clients to do bookkeeping for. The problem is that in my current job I've never done anything like this before and the things I've covered in AAT don't give me confidence enough to start off on my own.

I'm looking to do a qualification that will give me the knowledge needed to be able to do this so really need some advice of any bookkeeping courses that anyone can recommend.

I'm doing my AAT at BPP and although this type course is on their website there isn't anywhere near me that I can actually do it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated on how I can progress.

Thanks

LR

Comments

• sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    I've just sent off my first paper for ICB book keeping. I bought the book from Kaplans and self studied it, to be honest it wasn't much more than the Foundation level AAT. If I'd known that I wouldn;t have bought another book as it was posting to T accounts and then preparing a trial balance.I need to wait for the results back to sit paper 2 so fingers crossed on that.

Their website is www.book-keepers.org if you want any more information let me know and I'll help if I can.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    I've just sent off my first paper for ICB book keeping. I bought the book from Kaplans and self studied it, to be honest it wasn't much more than the Foundation level AAT. If I'd known that I wouldn;t have bought another book as it was posting to T accounts and then preparing a trial balance.I need to wait for the results back to sit paper 2 so fingers crossed on that.

Their website is www.book-keepers.org if you want any more information let me know and I'll help if I can.
    After having done AAT I would recommend starting at Level 2 on ICB
  • sarahwilson
    In hindsight I wish I had done that but I was wanting to make sure I had a good understanding of the basics, which obviously when the paper came I already did have. Hey ho another lesson learned!!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    This has always puzzled me - the AAT qualification covers all the bookkeeping functions, and indeed is advanced enough to enable members to become accountants.
    So why would folk do a bookkeeping qualification after AAT, which is more advanced?

I'm curious.
  • sarahwilson
    I haven't finished AAT yet and a few friends have asked me about doing their books so I just wanted to be covered to do it. Its not expensive to do so I just thought what the heck, I wouldn't have done it if I'd finished AAT though.
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi,

Just a quick point. I was studying the ICB course at level 3 alongside the AAT last year. However because I have done the AAT course over a few years I was told I would have to sit the ICB levels 1, 2 and 3 exams as my AAT foundation was achieved in 2005 and the Intermediate in 2007. The institute said my qualification was too old to give me any exemptions.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    columbia wrote: Β»
    Hi,

Just a quick point. I was studying the ICB course at level 3 alongside the AAT last year. However because I have done the AAT course over a few years I was told I would have to sit the ICB levels 1, 2 and 3 exams as my AAT foundation was achieved in 2005 and the Intermediate in 2007. The institute said my qualification was too old to give me any exemptions.
    I only had to sit an examination to get my membership by examination. Now officially MICB CB.Cert PM Dip
  • sarahwilson
    Crikey get you Pam, you'll need a business card a foot long by the time you've done!!
  • helen2207
    helen2207 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    bookkeeping
    LosRojos wrote: Β»
    I'm going to be cheeky and have my first post on here asking for advice.

I'm just coming to the end of my AAT qualification and want to find some clients to do bookkeeping for. The problem is that in my current job I've never done anything like this before and the things I've covered in AAT don't give me confidence enough to start off on my own.

I'm looking to do a qualification that will give me the knowledge needed to be able to do this so really need some advice of any bookkeeping courses that anyone can recommend.

I'm doing my AAT at BPP and although this type course is on their website there isn't anywhere near me that I can actually do it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated on how I can progress.

Thanks

LR

Before you find some clients you need to make sure what you are going into, there are a lots involve with bookkeeping, you'll need to learn sales ledger, purchase ledger, vat, credit control, invoicing, bank reconciliation, credit notes etc, misc expenditures and basically balancing your day to day book.

I hope this helps

helen
Privacy Policy