Business use costs

TAB
TAB Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
I have a new client who did her own tax returns for 2007 & 2008. HMCE didnt take her loss from 2007 into 2008 so Im looking to amend the 2008 return but when i looked back at her loss from 2007 it mainly came from the building costs of her conservatory. She is a personal trainer and has kitted out the conservatory as a gym for her clients. She is currently calculating business hours per week for me but it is approx. 10 hours a week. The only private items within the conservatory are a washing machine & a dryer. Im undecided as to allow the costs through or put in a high use of home charge adjusted to the business use per week.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I would not allow the cost of building the conservatory but would certainly claim a high use of home.
  • TAB
    Thanks for your reply Groundy.
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I agree with Groundy. If you allow the Conservatory costs, there are going to be tax implications if & when she sells the house.
  • TAB
    Good point Farmergiles. Thanks for your input.
  • Hasan.Ahmet
    Hasan.Ahmet Registered Posts: 87 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hmce

No more HMCE please! It's been HMRC for a while now.
    Slip of the tongue no doubt.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Why were any of the building costs in her P&L anyway? Surely it is a capital item?
  • Hasan.Ahmet
    Hasan.Ahmet Registered Posts: 87 Regular contributor ⭐
    Business Use Costs

Agree with Dean. But at the same time I would also approach the subject of claiming capital costs on the main residence when used for business for the reason of capital gains issues.
    Simple principle for revenue or capital is whether there is enhancement and or improvement for the latter or repairs and or maintenance for the former.
  • TAB
    Dean the costs were included in the P&L because my client did her first two returns on her own before she sought my help.
Privacy Policy