David Nix Practice Exam Unit 5

jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi,

Can anyone help me please. I have just started the David Nix Practice Exam and am on Task 1 and stuck already!:thumbdown:

It asks you to calculate Total Sales for the year ended 31/5/04.

Cash is banked at end of the day except a float of £100 kept in the till. During the year cash payments were made from the till before banking:
General Expenses - £2150
Wages - £1900

£89750 is showing in the Bank Account as being transferred from Cash Account

I got £93700 but am unsure!:001_unsure:

Help!

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Draw up a cash account

Don't forget the float is an opening and closing balance. (based on your wording of the question)

The items mentioned are all paid out of cash so sales is the balancing figure.

P.S. you are close!
    Regards,

Burg
  • jewels.p
    Hi,

Yeah I had drawn up a Cash Account but put £89750 as the opening balance instead of the £100 duh!

So now my Sales Figure is £93800 Am I right now?

Thanks for your help

Julie:001_smile:
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Yeah you are right, well done.

Didn't want to just give you the answer.

Best of luck with the rest of the studies!
    Regards,

Burg
  • jewels.p
    I cant believe this I am now on Task 1.2 and stuck!:blushing:

It asks you to calculate the gross profit for the year ended 31 May 2004.

How can I do this without total purchases, closing stock etc. They are to be calculated in later tasks!

I thought Gross Profit was calculated as Sales - Costs of Sales.

Only two questions in and I am struggling this is not a good sign!:thumbdown:
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Jewels,

On the other information given, the proft margin on sales is 1/3rd or 33%. This is taken from the sales figure to give the gross profit.

Regards

Mike.
  • jewels.p
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for that. If that had been in the exam I would have been totally wrong as never come across that before but now you tell me it's easy to see thats how to calculate it. First TWO questions and had problems with both. Feeling totally thick today! :blushing:

Think I'll give up on this today and carry on tomorrow maybe my brain will be switched on then.

Thanks again for your help

Regards

• mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Don't worry, i am sure that you are doing excellent. I didn't do this one myself, only the first paper. I gave up on this one, i went to the previous papers on the website instead. Most of these questions are covered in chapter 12 or 13 in the workbook, have another look at that again before having another go at the paper. I was struggling in getting used to all the different formulas etc, when i was learning the topic.

Let us know if you need any more help.

Regards

Mike.
  • Sally
    Sally Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi there

I have also just done this Practice Exam 2 (David Nix)Task 1.1 and had sales at 93900. As it was the first year of trading would he have an opening balance on the cash account? I thought i was doing ok and now im really confused again?? Have you seen the answer to this question?
  • jewels.p
    Hi Sally,

I havent seen the answers and like you had £93900 first but think the £93800figure is correct as the £100 was probably put in the till when the business started (I could be wrong though)

I am only on Task 4 and have been stuck on every task so far!:thumbdown: Not a good sign.

Can anyone tell me if £5874 is the correct answer for the closing stock figure as I had an answer of -12766 before and even I know that wouldnt be right!:laugh:

• Sally
    Hi Julie

I have Task 1.4 - closing stock as 6120 although i am not very confident and am off to check all my answers now. I think we are being given the answers to all five practice exams tomorrow so will let you know the answer
    if i get it. Everytime i think i have grasped something another consideration pops up and im back to square one again!!
  • Sally
    Hi Julie

have just changed my sales figure to 93800 and now get a closing stock figure of 6187?! (GP 31267, cost of sales 62533 & purchases 68720)

Im dreading June exams!!!!!!
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I would keep your sales figure as 93,900 as there would not have been an opening balance if it was his first year of trading.

Keeping it at this figure also makes the answers to the questions that follow, 'round' numbers.

When I did FRA, I read the examiners comments that in the exams you will always have nice round numbers for answers, this helps you spot that you are going wrong somewhere!! I'm not sure if this is still the case.
  • jewels.p
    Richard wrote: »
    I would keep your sales figure as 93,900 as there would not have been an opening balance if it was his first year of trading.

Keeping it at this figure also makes the answers to the questions that follow, 'round' numbers.

When I did FRA, I read the examiners comments that in the exams you will always have nice round numbers for answers, this helps you spot that you are going wrong somewhere!! I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Oh No just read this and now stuck all over again. On Task 2.2 when doing the P & L Account I got the Net Profit as £39,990 but thought at the time it was more likely to be £40,000 so I checked and checked my figures but couldnt find the £10 difference anywhere so I left it at £39,990:crying:
  • jewels.p
    Sally wrote: »
    Hi Julie

have just changed my sales figure to 93800 and now get a closing stock figure of 6187?! (GP 31267, cost of sales 62533 & purchases 68720)

Im dreading June exams!!!!!!

If you've changed your Sales Figure to 93800 where do you get the GP as 31267 from? I calculated it as 93800 x 33% = 30954!:laugh:

Way hay we both got the same figure for Purchases (We must be doing something right:thumbup1:)

My cost of sales figure came from Sales - 93800 less GP - 30954 = 62846

Let me know when you get the answers! I am dreading the exams as well! I was laughing when I read your message but wont be laughing in June!

• Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    jewels.p wrote: »
    If you've changed your Sales Figure to 93800 where do you get the GP as 31267 from? I calculated it as 93800 x 33% = 30954!:laugh:

Way hay we both got the same figure for Purchases (We must be doing something right:thumbup1:)

My cost of sales figure came from Sales - 93800 less GP - 30954 = 62846

Let me know when you get the answers! I am dreading the exams as well! I was laughing when I read your message but wont be laughing in June!

A sales figure of 93,900 would give you a gross profit of £31,300 (93,900 / 3) - be careful of using 33%, as this isn't an exact third.
  • Sally
    Hi Julie

We were given the answers today - Sales are 93900 (no opening cash balance). I did mention the '£100 in the till theory' and was told that that would be the case in practice but not to assume anything in the exams - go with what we are told. The Closing stock is 6120 .

Good luck!
  • jewels.p
    Sally wrote: »
    Hi Julie

We were given the answers today - Sales are 93900 (no opening cash balance). I did mention the '£100 in the till theory' and was told that that would be the case in practice but not to assume anything in the exams - go with what we are told. The Closing stock is 6120 .

Good luck!

Sorry Sally you had 6120 in the first place I mustave just totally confused you with my calculations!:001_wub:
  • meibaker
    meibaker Registered Posts: 481 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    jewels.p wrote: »
    Oh No just read this and now stuck all over again. On Task 2.2 when doing the P & L Account I got the Net Profit as £39,990 but thought at the time it was more likely to be £40,000 so I checked and checked my figures but couldnt find the £10 difference anywhere so I left it at £39,990:crying:

mine net profit is 48,793. what closing stock figure did you use in your P&L a/c? i use the trial balance figure, not sure need to adjusted or not.
  • jewels.p
    meibaker wrote: »
    mine net profit is 48,793. what closing stock figure did you use in your P&L a/c? i use the trial balance figure, not sure need to adjusted or not.

I used Closing Stock figure of 55580 as you need to adjust figures before doing your P & L

• mapry
    mapry Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    hi

am trying to do that exam it seems to be a good one can someone plz send me a link I can't seem to get the infor but the answers are there wierd!!!
Privacy Policy