Vertical Blinds or Nets?

Yazi
Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi

Had new double glazing fitted and old nets are to be thrown away.
Would you get the Vertical blinds or nets?

Front of the house needs privacy so what do you think?

Thanks
Yas
ยซ1

Comments

• PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Personally I don't like vertical blinds in a house, think they make it look too much like an office.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I dont think nets should be used, very old fashioned.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    got to be verticals all the way !!!
  • PAMDILL
    Paul24 wrote: ยป
    I dont think nets should be used, very old fashioned.
    I don't use anything but if I did it would be nets, but that is from someone who lives in a town which used to have over 20 lace, net and curtain factories. Now there is none.

You could use venetian blinds but they are a pain the butt to clean.

Some net curtains are nice and the good thing is they are a lot easier to clean than any blinds, take them don stick them in the washing machine and then back up at the window. You get lots of nice patterned ones and the bonus is you don't feel like you are still sitting in an office.
  • Toffeemadblue
    Toffeemadblue Registered Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Absolutely Pamdill, we have nets everywhere but the Kitchen and they so much better than blinds especially on the cleaning front. Also the light quality is much nicer
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'm happy enough with my blinds,though admittedly they're a pain to clean. And they're not really that officey.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    CJC wrote: ยป
    I'm happy enough with my blinds,though admittedly they're a pain to clean. And they're not really that officey.

CJ

How do you clean your vertical blinds? I have those and I need to clean them, some one told me that I can put them in the washing machine rolled up in a pillow case?

Does that sound right.......................Thank you

Di
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Personally it depends on what goes on in your road. If you have neighbours that you like to spy on, it has got to be nets. There's nothing so natural as a net curtain twitching ever so slightly as you walk by to make you feel at home.
  • Diannew
    Cullen wrote: ยป
    Personally it depends on what goes on in your road. If you have neighbours that you like to spy on, it has got to be nets. There's nothing so natural as a net curtain twitching ever so slightly as you walk by to make you feel at home.

OOOh you must have very exciting's going on in your road...if you are a curtain twitcher:lol::lol:
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Blinds and black out ones there brill
  • Paul24
    CJ

How do you clean your vertical blinds? I have those and I need to clean them, some one told me that I can put them in the washing machine rolled up in a pillow case?

Di

I always knew this forum was rock and roll through and through :cool2:
  • CJC
    CJ

Di
    Umm..thinks back to the last time I actually cleaned them... mostly I just give them a bit of a wipe down but when they need a proper cleaning I hand wash them in the bath. Not totally sure I'd trust them in the washing machine โ€“ a quick google came up with this which might help.

God, I'm so domesticated these days :001_unsure:
  • Diannew
    I always knew this forum was rock and roll through and through :cool2:

Excuse me Paul...from he who added that he thought Nets where very old fashioned:lol::lol:
  • Diannew
    CJC wrote: ยป
    Umm..thinks back to the last time I actually cleaned them... mostly I just give them a bit of a wipe down but when they need a proper cleaning I hand wash them in the bath. Not totally sure I'd trust them in the washing machine โ€“ a quick google came up with this which might help.

God, I'm so domesticated these days :001_unsure:

Thank you!!! maybe we should start our own Domestic AAT tip forum.:lol::lol:
  • Paul24
    I was only saying, that the only people I can think of who have them still are my grandparents :-)
  • PAMDILL
    I was only saying, that the only people I can think of who have them still are my grandparents :-)
    When I first moved to the town I stay in the council kept receiving applications for my house as the locals thought it was still empty because we did not have net curtains up on the windows.
  • Paul24
    Oh. How bizzare
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Open hanging blinds look like bars from the outside. Now they might suit seanyboy but personally I'd sooner have nets, look more natural and you can't beat a good twitch...lol
  • Diannew
    Open hanging blinds look like bars from the outside. Now they might suit seanyboy but personally I'd sooner have nets, look more natural and you can't beat a good twitch...lol

All depends on the way you have them hanging..........slightly on an angle makes all the difference to the look!!:lol::lol:
  • Paul24

FG - why are you worried what it looks like from the outside?
  • farmergiles
    FG - why are you worried what it looks like from the outside?

I don't want people thinking I'm sat behind bars:lol::lol:
  • farmergiles
    All depends on the way you have them hanging..........slightly on an angle makes all the difference to the look!!:lol::lol:

I think that goes without saying, it has always made a diference, the way they hang:lol::lol:
  • Diannew
    I don't want people thinking I'm sat behind bars:lol::lol:

Time for your bread and water FG:lol::lol:
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I have horizontal blinds, i think they look more modern than curtains, I think it comes down to taste and what type of house it is and how its decorated. And also if you put the blinds at a certain angle you can nose out the window without anyone seeing you lol
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I have horizontal blinds, i think they look more modern than curtains, I think it comes down to taste and what type of house it is and how its decorated. And also if you put the blinds at a certain angle you can nose out the window without anyone seeing you lol

I don't think they can see me anyway!
  • farmergiles
    Time for your bread and water FG:lol::lol:

Can you ease these chains first, I cannae reach the tin plate wi' the crusts on:lol::lol:
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Thanks for all the input......

Read one reply and think blinds, read another one and think nets.

I am favouring the Blinds - I think, as I love being in the office......!!!

Yas
  • CJC
    Can you ease these chains first, I cannae reach the tin plate wi' the crusts on:lol::lol:
    Where do you think you are, a holiday camp or something?
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    NETS TO GO !!!

Blinds are the modern look. If ya dont want the vertical type go for horizontal !! If the windows too wide go for two sets together. Much better looking and easy to keep clean.

Bonus advice:

Use mirrors and light colours on walls to make rooms look bigger

Use flat screen t.v to save loads of room

(Im giving away all my property development secrets - Please dont tell anyone !)

Anyways get the blinds and give your place that modern look.

:thumbup:
  • farmergiles
    steveJ wrote: ยป
    NETS TO GO !!!

Blinds are the modern look. If ya dont want the vertical type go for horizontal !! If the windows too wide go for two sets together. Much better looking and easy to keep clean.

Bonus advice:

Use mirrors and light colours on walls to make rooms look bigger

Use flat screen t.v to save loads of room

(Im giving away all my property development secrets - Please dont tell anyone !)

Anyways get the blinds and give your place that modern look.

:thumbup:

Have you been advising MP's :lol::lol:
Privacy Policy