Adivse for a work based course in compters?

A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I have a jounor at work who started and completed certificate level of AAT but has now decided she definitley does not want to move up to next level.

But i would like her to brush up on computer skills excel, word ect... now i completed clait myself and think it is a good course but not really accountancy focused.

Anyone have any ideas on a course other than AAT she can do to help with work?

Comments

• mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    There's the ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence), which covers the main windows applications, such as excel, word, powerpoint. This is a mainstream recognised qualification, which companies value and they also have a new advance level. Most training centres do this course, or they could register and learn and do the exams themselves.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    mikes wrote: Β»
    There's the ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence), which covers the main windows applications, such as excel, word, powerpoint. This is a mainstream recognised qualification, which companies value and they also have a new advance level. Most training centres do this course, or they could register and learn and do the exams themselves.

oo i remember this course i did the IBT11 instead but if definiatley a good ideda thanks mikes :thumbup1:
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    mikes wrote: Β»

I agree the ECDL seems to be the most popular one for people brushing up on their computer skills. I have found a lot of people have this qualification on their C.V these days.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    i agree the ecdl course sounds good for anyone who not great on microsoft ?

but why the hell is it DRIVING ? youve got no pedals not steering wheel ?

so heres a slightly off topic question what has a computor and a car got in common(for them to use driving licence ?)
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Yeah I would agree. I'm studying the ECDL from hoe and it definately helps brush up on some skills. Well worth doing.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    how much has that cost you?stevej. if you dont mind me asking ?
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ

so heres a slightly off topic question what has a computor and a car got in common(for them to use driving licence ?)

They both drive you round the bend?
  • steveJ

You obviously haven't seen the nintendo wii version! Lol

I paid about Β£10 for an interactive cdrom on ebay!

It takes around 50 hours of study to complete
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    steveJ wrote: Β»
    It takes around 50 hours of study to complete

Are you kidding? I studied each unit for an hour then took the tests :huh:

My college offered the course alongside the AAT so I did it as extra and it was definitely worth doing.
  • steveJ
    What units are they ?
    And what does the exam include ?
  • ema192
    ema192 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/bc/bcs7p1.html

This might help, I did the ecdl years ago when i left school in a college nearby i think i got paid to do the course aswell.
    It gives a good insight into the basics on a pc, brush up on excel etc.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    steveJ wrote: Β»
    What units are they ?
    And what does the exam include ?

There were 7 altogether

Using the computer
    Managing files
    Word processing
    Spreadsheets
    Databases
    Presentation
    Information and communication

The first 2, and ICT were written tests I think, and the others were like simulations, you were given a scenario and some data and you had to create a spreadsheet, presentation etc.

But I did mine over 3 years ago so it might have changed!
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Gem7321 wrote: Β»
    Are you kidding? I studied each unit for an hour then took the tests :huh:
    Sounds about right to me. ECDL is really basic stuff.

A few years ago I wanted to do the Advanced ECDL,mostly for the piece of paper, but the local college that offered as home study (the very excellent Truro College where I did my AAT only offered it as a classroom based course) said I had to do the basic ECDL first (this is despite me having used Word for more than 10 years, being being well up with Excel and being able to write complex SQL queries in my sleep). I gave up pretty quickly, partly because it was so boring and partly because they wouldn't let me do all the exams at once which would have entailed three afternoons off work.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    CJC wrote: Β»
    able to write complex SQL queries in my sleep

Who cant do that?
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Paul24 wrote: Β»
    Who cant do that?
    Quite a few years ago I had a temp job developing database reports. Three months of doing pretty much nothing else than writing queries, never again!
Privacy Policy