Self assessment tax forms

fatandforty
fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor šŸ˜
Although my husband is employed by his company and on PAYE for some reason we have always been sent self assessment tax forms. I have been far too efficient this year and already completed and sent them off. I completely forgot he gets paid and taxed for being treasurer of a local social club. How important is it that I let them know about this seeing as the tax has already been paid? Should I phone them or just leave it? It is only Ā£500 net

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    If you've sent it in then I would write in and let them know, if you've done it online then I think you can amend online.

It is important to let them know any error. We had a client who missed off some bank interest (received net, so already taxed) because he didn't think it would matter if he didn't tell us. That started an investigation where they unearthed a load of undeclared income!!

The best thing to do is make it as accurate as possible and amend the return now.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor šŸ˜
    If you've sent it in then I would write in and let them know, if you've done it online then I think you can amend online.

It is important to let them know any error. We had a client who missed off some bank interest (received net, so already taxed) because he didn't think it would matter if he didn't tell us. That started an investigation where they unearthed a load of undeclared income!!

The best thing to do is make it as accurate as possible and amend the return now.
    If you get the self assessment form back quick enough and they note he is employed on PAYE and not a director they sometimes end up stopping sending you the form.

I have had that happen with my husband and an aunt who I used to fill the forms in for, now I hope this year it might work with me, that is if bank get their finger out and send out tax cert quickly.

Seems to be that once they get you in the system for self assessment it takes a while to get you back out.
Privacy Policy