Cineworld Unlimited card

Bookworm55
Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I know it's off-topic, but... I go the pictures quite often (at least twice a month) and next month I'll be moving to a town with a Cineworld. I live in Norwich, which doesn't. Cineworld have a scheme there where you get unlimited film viewings for £13.50 a month, if you sign up for at least a year. Has anyone signed up to this? Is it worth it?

I'd only have to go five times in two months to save money. But that does necessitate their being at least thirty films on a year that I want to see. Maybe I'll have to broaden my horizons.

Comments

• mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    you could always do a 3000-4000 word project doing a SWOT analysis and CBA and ABC on which would be better and then hand it in for your unit 10 project !!! hahahahahahah

or you could just see if you can go 3 times a month ?

up to you......but i know myself that some months their isnt a film at all that would be worth seeing ?
  • Bookworm55
    I could do a sophisticated cost-benefit analysis, including the opportunity costs implied by forgoing other leisure activities to see more movies. But then, once I have signed up, the cost of the ticket is a sunk cost and therefore irrelevant for decision making ;-)

There'd be nothing stopping me going three or more times in a week, especially if it takes me a while to get a job after graduation.

I'm already an AAT full member; the unit 10 project was the most utterly awful part. Some of the odder tax concepts might have been more difficult- the Share Pool and Basis Periods/Overlap Profits for Sole traders spring to mind- but the project was the worst.
    up to you......but i know myself that some months their isnt a film at all that would be worth seeing ?

That would be the risk. My nearest would be Harlow, which has only two films I would like to see (plus two I have already seen and one maybe).

Looking at the current listings for Stevenage (just under half an hour's drive away) though, there are five films I would like to see, four more that I would see if I didn't have to pay any more, three that I have seen and three that I wouldn't see even if you paid me. This includes all the films at Harlow. Which is a pretty impressive haul.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    lol........well it depends on how broad a film view you have.......i know i wouldnt watch love type, true life, war, animated,

so not really much choise that i would go and see. ...
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Don't forget to include the costs of popcorn/drink of your increased cinema going. It could work out more expensive in the long run.:huh:
  • Bookworm55
    Don't forget to include the costs of popcorn/drink of your increased cinema going.

Plus, it's a little too far to walk comfortably there and back every time (almost three miles), so there are petrol costs too!
    i know i wouldnt watch love type, true life, war, animated,

Films I have watched this year (in no particular order, including DVD); Dan in Real Life, Coraline, 21 Grams, Princess Mononoke, Monsters vs Aliens, Australia, I Love You Man, Goodfellas, Enron the Smartest Guys in the Room, The Birds, 27 Dresses, Sideways, The Big Lebowski, Iron Man, Spaceballs, Anchorman, Spirited Away, In Bruges, 2001 a Space Odyssey, Instinct, Caché, Pan's Labyrinth, Yes Man, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Laputa Castle in the Sky, The Departed, Batman Forever, Apocalypse Now, Short Cuts, The Ring (US), Brokeback Mountain, Havoc, The Jacket...

Ok, I'll stop now. I watch too many films as it is...
  • ema192
    ema192 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Bookworm55 wrote: »

Ok, I'll stop now. I watch too many films as it is...

You can never watch too many films!!!
    I think its a good deal if you are going to go quite regulary the cinema is so expensive these days i wanted to take my daughter to see coroline and it was 16.00 for the two of us madness!! ok rant over......
  • Chris023
    Chris023 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hey

I have had one of these cards for about 15 months or so. I signed up when the price was 11.99 a month :)

My local cineworld is about a 15 min drive for me and I see at least 3 films a month. A few of my friends have this card too & we have been know to have cinema afternoons. Where we will watch 2 - 3 films in a row!

I think you need to see at least 2 a month to 'break even'

You end up seeing films that you would not normally see as if they are rubbish you can just walk out!
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Letchworth is not very far from Stevenage and their cinema is much smaller - 4 screens, but if you go anytime before 5pm on Friday it is only £3.95. And I must admit I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for drinks and popcorn and smuggle my own snacks in!

Has anyone seen Drag me to Hell and if so is it any good?
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Veering off topic...

I know diddly-squat about cinemas in the Stevenage area but back in the day spent many a happily drunken evening in The Lytton Arms in Old Knebworth.
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    That looks a very nice place to spend a drunken evening.
  • neen
    neen Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    I used to have one, and as someone else said, you do find yourself going to see films you wouldn't normally watch. Having said that, quite often when I did that, it was the ones I wasn't planning on watching that I really enjoyed!

I would say, if you can afford it, go for it! I'd sign up for one again if I had anyone to go with!
Privacy Policy