What Next????

r4chy
r4chy Registered Posts: 30 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to do next...I have just finished (and hopefully passed lol) AAT Intermediate, and am wondering whether I should go back to college and do Technician Level, or whether to go straight on to ACCA. I have GCSE's and A-Levels so even without the full AAT qualification I meet the minimum entry requirements for ACCA, originally I was intending to do the full AAT qualification before moving on but we have just been informed by college that the Learning and Skills Council is intending to pull funding for AAT Technician, which is going to significantly increase the cost next year, and as I am self funding this is quite a big issue, also the quality of teaching over the last two years has left a lot to be desired, so I am inclined to think that I might just be better off leaving my AAT studies at Intermediate and starting the ACCA qualification. I have struggled to find any information though as to whether I would be entitled to any ACCA exemptions due to my current (or impending lol)AAT qualifications - NVQ's 2&3. There is also very little information as to exactly what exemptions Level 4 would give me so if anybody could shed any light on this for me so I have enough information to make the right decision I would be eternally grateful!!!

Thanks in advance
Rach:001_smile:

Comments

• Kinga1989
    Kinga1989 Registered Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    Hi,
    you wouldn't get any exemptions from acca at this stage. if you finish technician level you get first 3 knowledge modules exempted from. (not a lot i know). I would definetely not advice you leaving AAT now. ACCA might take 3 years for you to complete or it might take a lot longer even if you cant pass the last exam. AAT is a great qualification to have and also it will give you a really great preparation for acca.
    If you are struggling with money, maybe look for some other college like kaplan where you can study from home and pay only for books and still get support from teacher.
    it is up to you what you wanna do but leaving aat at this stage is not a clever thing to do as after 1 year you will have hopefully great qualification in ur hand meaning better opportunities for jobs and great way to start off acca :)
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hey,

From what i have heard its worth finishing your AAT. Apart from exemptions, its a great qualification to have.

http://www.premiertraining.co.uk/courses/aat_diploma/aat_diploma_stage.shtml

Check out ^^that link for information on Premier training Diploma stage.

It works out at £599 for the whole diploma level (For the foundation i paid off in 4 installments - INTEREST FREE)

Just think, one mroe year and thats the AAT done !! Sounds much better than AAT - Intermediate (Half way through course and stopped...lol.)

Anyways, i thought id offer what i know,also and give me a shout if you need any help.

:thumbup:
  • r4chy
    Still undecided....

I understand what you are both saying, and appreciate you both taking the time to read my ramble and give me your views, it just seems a bit of a waste of time to spend the next year doing six exams plus project etc when i reckon if i started straight away and got my head down i could have the first 3-4 acca exams done by december, i am lucky enough to have a job as an assistant accountant and am getting quite a lot of practical experience through that, the salary is fairly (well very) poor, but i think the prospects are good if i stick it out for a bit.......hmmm which way to turn.....:001_unsure::001_unsure:
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I would recommend finishing AAT.

Should something happen and you do not complete ACCA you will still have a complete qualification to fall back on.

Also as I have stated before, when studying ACCA I found the AAT students were the best prepared and had a head start. This was mainly due to the technician level.

I have seen uni students get to professional level without knowing double entry (and having to learn it at that level to understand the corporate reporting papers) and others struggling with the management accounting papers which AAT students didn't due to what is covered in the 2 costing type papers.

Why isn't your work helping to fund you?
  • r4chy wrote: »
    Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to do next...I have just finished (and hopefully passed lol) AAT Intermediate, and am wondering whether I should go back to college and do Technician Level, or whether to go straight on to ACCA. I have GCSE's and A-Levels so even without the full AAT qualification I meet the minimum entry requirements for ACCA, originally I was intending to do the full AAT qualification before moving on but we have just been informed by college that the Learning and Skills Council is intending to pull funding for AAT Technician, which is going to significantly increase the cost next year, and as I am self funding this is quite a big issue, also the quality of teaching over the last two years has left a lot to be desired, so I am inclined to think that I might just be better off leaving my AAT studies at Intermediate and starting the ACCA qualification. I have struggled to find any information though as to whether I would be entitled to any ACCA exemptions due to my current (or impending lol)AAT qualifications - NVQ's 2&3. There is also very little information as to exactly what exemptions Level 4 would give me so if anybody could shed any light on this for me so I have enough information to make the right decision I would be eternally grateful!!!

Thanks in advance
    Rach:001_smile:

How about an NVQ in pig farming. That's the obvious progression route after AAT surely? :lol:
  • r4chy
    An NVQ in pig farming....hmmm tempting.....:001_tt2:
Privacy Policy