ur qualifications b4 aat

wolfe
wolfe Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
hi everyone. just curious when did u guys start aat? after getting a bachelors degree or after college ?or diploma ...?? i started aat after my A levels. interested in ur response . thanks in advance

Comments

• Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I started after my A levels - 26 years after!
  • jay cutler
    jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor โญ
    I started AAT 3 years after getting a 2:1 in BSc (Hons) maths. Could not get onto a graduate scheme which are quite misleading for the majority who don't get onto them. Glad to have a degree and AAT (Well almost Aug 17th for that!) under my belt though.
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I started after leaving school at 16 with 12 GCSEs. Knew what I wanted to do at 13 so didn't see the point in staying on at school!:laugh: Found a job instead.

Provides a good stepping stone to a chartered qualification - I'm currently studying ACA and I'm only just 20.
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I started after withdrawing from uni... so (2 years) after A-levels really.
  • Ian
    Ian Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor โญ
    AdamR wrote: ยป
    I started after leaving school at 16 with 12 GCSEs. Knew what I wanted to do at 13 so didn't see the point in staying on at school!:laugh: Found a job instead.

Provides a good stepping stone to a chartered qualification - I'm currently studying ACA and I'm only just 20.

ACA at 20! wow...
  • alicemaylara
    alicemaylara Registered Posts: 259 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Did Countryside management from 16-18, went to australia didnt no what to do, came back and my dad told me to be an accountant (he is one) and here I am, 20 and in a decent job! Fathers know best!
    Happy Fathers Day!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Decided to retrain in accounts having watched the decline of major UK manufacturing in around 2004.

And I know I may be in a minority here, but I wish the OP wouldn't use text speak in their posts. It's frankly quite ridiculous on a website such as this and gives off an aura of immaturity even if it's not true.
  • Bookworm55
    and i know i may be in a minority here, but i wish the op wouldn't use text speak in their posts.

QFT

That's not really any better, is it?
  • Ian
    Ian Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor โญ
    I left school in 2002 and worked with my dads friend as a plumber earning ยฃ125 a week. I then put my foot through someones ceiling. I decided that I needed a new career. My dad told me to be an accountant and so here I am!
  • Flipflop
    Flipflop Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor โญ
    I worked in an insurance office, dabbled with the accounts, had first child at 30 and didn't return to work, second child at 32, went to college in eves to keep brain alive doing sage, started passing exams, started aat, had another baby at 35, just finished last exams, not sure what going to do with qualifications yet?? Started as a hobby :lol: Might do hairdressing next ha ha :lol::lol::lol:
  • alicemaylara
    Ian wrote: ยป
    I then put my foot through someones ceiling.

My friend did that, sued his boss and went to Australia on the compensation pay out :laugh:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Thanks for attempting to point out the difference bookworm but OP is a commonly accepted internet abreviation rather than 'text speak' such as ur or b4...

I'll credit you with the intelligence of knowing the difference so instead just assume you wanted to troll me a little, especially with the QFT.
  • Bookworm55
    Maybe I was being just a little bit trollish.

I was mainly directing "That's not really any better, is it?" at myself for using QFT rather than at your use of OP though.
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    i started after deciding to take a year off work...i have my teaching qualifications and was a lecturer for a college for 7 years but got bored of it...also did charity work and have nvq in that...also have a diploma in Native American Indian Teachings...along with gcse and basic skill qualifications...never went to university, but if i get along ok with technician this year i want to do cima at university or maybe acca....ive never wanted to go to university before but am quite excited by it now...lol
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I left school at 16 to become a pharmacy technician which had good prospects at the time. Pharmacy in the NHS rather fell apart and I decided to move on.

I now run my own practice at 24 and can spend great time with my family.:thumbup:
    Regards,

Burg
  • alicemaylara
    burg wrote: ยป
    I now run my own practice at 24 and can spend great time with my family.
    :thumbup: *claps*
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I started after leaving school at 16

Same, but work aren't letting me continue my studies, apparently they "can't afford it" otherwise I'd be 22 and chartered :crying:
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

Whats the rush :ohmy:

I did A levels and business degree straight after school. Waited another 10 year before doing AAT and then ACCA.

Theres no getting round needing both experience and qualifications to get to the top, so had to go back to school, again...
  • DOTTY
    DOTTY Registered Posts: 22 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi

I left school twenty odd years ago a f in maths and a d in english............got married 19 years ago, had a couple kids now 18 and 15, never had a carrer just waitressed, cleaned and worked in a clothes shop for a while, then 7 years ago got a job as a receptionist told them i couldn't use a computer but they gave me the job anyway and a book teach yourself windows 97. After a few months the acounts department kept hurling stuff at me and said please can you help, i then found that was my vocation i really enjoyed it, when an opening came up after 2 years they promoted me, i then said i know i do all your stuff but i don't really get what i am doing so they said go to college if you want, i did city and guilds bookkeeping and acounting, then from there this........ and now three years later have done it (results permitting). got another promotion to assistant accountant in January, so it just goes to show you can start this with any backround. (all i would say is i wish i had better maths skills, sometimes the lack of these has made it hard)
    :001_rolleyes:
  • Kecak
    Kecak Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor โญ
    I finished my degree in Biochemical Engineering many years ago, decided very early on that I didn't want anything to do with the field as it bored me to tears..My current job involves speaking to accountants/bookkeepers every day and I've decided to join them :)
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    well when i left school i went and got my nvq level II in electronics ? helped me like a wet hankie??
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    After leaving school 25 years ago, i did 3 years day release doing BTEC in Business and Finance, which included double entry bookkeeping. I left that job soon after, then for my next job, i was doing some bookkeeping and purchase ledger, but i didn't want to do any further accounts qualifications, as i seem to think that was for those who were doing management accounts and were working all hours of the day and night, which did not appeal to me at the time. A couple of years ago, i was made redundant and to help improve my chances, i started funding myself to do the AAT, starting at the begining as it was sometime since i did proper studying and to help refresh my knowledge. Now with a job a few months after looking and on the second half of the Advance certificate.
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    PGM wrote: ยป
    Whats the rush :ohmy:

I did A levels and business degree straight after school. Waited another 10 year before doing AAT and then ACCA.

Theres no getting round needing both experience and qualifications to get to the top, so had to go back to school, again...

Why hang around? As I said, I've known what I wanted to do for seven years so surely I was better getting a job, being chartered and having money at 22 as opposed to going down the university route, having loads of debt and not be chartered until I'm 25?

I own a house, a car and I'm completely independent. And I have far more experience with the basics (ie balancing a bank account) that graduates just can't do!

(No offence intended to any graduates and I don't mean to start a shouting match with you, I'm only supporting my argument! I appreciate my way isn't the norm and it certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.)
  • Bookworm55
    (No offence intended to any graduates and I don't mean to start a shouting match with you, I'm only supporting my arguement! I appreciate my way isn't the norm and it certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.)

I don't disagree with you. I wish I'd gone into the workplace at 18 (ie after A-levels).
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Why hang around? As I said, I've known what I wanted to do for seven years so surely I was better getting a job, being chartered and having money at 22 as opposed to going down the university route, having loads of debt and not be chartered until I'm 25?

I own a house, a car and I'm completely independent. And I have far more experience with the basics (ie balancing a bank account) that graduates just can't do!

(No offence intended to any graduates and I don't mean to start a shouting match with you, I'm only supporting my arguement! I appreciate my way isn't the norm and it certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.)

I don't blame you, sounds like a good plan to me!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Left school at 15 no qualifactions and started work in a factory that week.

Went to college 5 years ago did Access to HE programme 5 GCSE's and 3 A-Levels in 18 months - small 3 week admin course started work in practise and stumbled into AAT on an open day.

(what i always wanted to do by the way)
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    left school with the average gcse passes - joined the army, 2 kids and 15 years later now nearly finished AAT.

i still am not sure what i want to do when i grow up :)

Tracy
Privacy Policy