Unit 10 - how big an organisation?

square-peg
square-peg Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
I was going to do the unit 10 simulation, as I'm not working, but I was wondering how big (for example how many staff, or does it matter if it's a small childcare type organisation) the organisation needs to be to really successfully do a project on it, and which people think I'd be best doing. The option I'm considering is a small business (childcare) that I look after the computers for, and only has 3 or 4 members of staff, as well as several trustees. Needless to say the turnover is very low. Also, the business is fairly new so has no previous years books to go over. Do you think I'd be better sticking to the simulation? Any advice from those that have done unit 10 already and especially from tutors much appreciated!
Cheers
square-peg

Comments

• mahdi87
    mahdi87 Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    it should be ok ...go for it
  • Flipflop
    Flipflop Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    I did it on my husbands business, he is a self employed electrican with the occasional contractor, and it was fine.:thumbup:
  • square-peg
    still have questions

thanks for your replies - I've been wondering what to do as on reading further the info on Unit 10 says

"If you are not currently working in an accounting role you can use experiences of other accounting systems that you have worked with in the last two years.
    These can include:
    β€’ previous employment
    β€’ work placement
    β€’ voluntary organisations

As I mentioned, the organisation I was considering was one I help out with their computers - I don't have 'experience of their accounting system'. I can certainly find out about it, but I don't know if that's enough and whether I'm better sticking to the simulation. :confused1:
  • Flipflop
    Flipflop Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    You might be better doing the simulation.
  • alicemaylara
    alicemaylara Registered Posts: 259 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    My college always suggests a sim, much easier :thumbup1:
  • square-peg
    thanks guys. I might go ahead with the simulation then. thanks for your help
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Thanks for this question Square-peg, 'cos I'm in a similar situation - I'm working in accounts but moving into the audit dept this week, so I think i'll do the simulation also.
  • square-peg
    Hi Andypandy. I don't know about you, but I'm finding it flippin' hard to know where to start! I just don't know what topic to tackle, and so where to begin! I've pretty much decided on the simulation now, but I haven't a clue where to begin - it feels really overwhelming! I keep sitting down with my unit 10 book (I'm a distance learner) and starting to read it, and then thinking I should start the report as I go through the book, but having no idea where to begin! I hope it'll become clearer as I get further through the book!! :confused1:
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Don't worry, nearly everybody feels this way with unit 10. Once you start you'll think 4000 words aren't enough.
    There was a very good post on here last year - try doing a search. I think Blobbyh resurrected it, it may be possible to do advanced search on his posts.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Just starting my notes on UNIT 10 going to attemp this without college (am nuts lol) can anyone recommend a book or have i ISBN code for it for me please.

Thanks

Vic
  • square-peg
    Hi Jan,
    it's not the word count that worries me, as I know 4000 words isn't actually that much once you know what you're writing about - it's finding what to write about!
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    Just starting my notes on UNIT 10 going to attemp this without college (am nuts lol) can anyone recommend a book or have i ISBN code for it for me please.

Thanks

Vic

Pearson books have a book on how to write dissertations & project reports on ther bookshop for Β£9. I saw it advertised on Premier Training forums, which they were recommending for students to use for unit 10. I don't know what the book is like though.

Here is the link for it. http://vig.pearsoned.co.uk/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0273713582-FEA,00.html

This seems to be a generalised book, rather than about unit 10 exactly. As other than the usual culprits from Osborne and BPP, i'm not aware of any other books, that are written just for the project.

Hopefully there are.
  • square-peg
    BPP have a unit 10 book, which I am using. I don't know how it compares to other books but I've found the other units BPP books fine. http://www.amazon.co.uk/AAT-Managing-Combined-Revision-Companion/dp/0751728969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245674201&sr=8-1 - I don't think it's got the right picture on Amazon, but it seems to be the right book.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Happy now - we can all muddle along together!
  • bambilicious
    bambilicious Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    Report Guidance

Hi All,

I'm not sure if any of you still need help but I got a rather good document which describes the layout and what should be in this report. I'm just starting this project as I am doing Technician next year, but If any of you still want help then email me:

[email protected]

I can email you back the document I have, very simple but it is helping me figure things out. :thumbup1:
Privacy Policy