What salary can I expect on qualification ?

The Deadman
The Deadman Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
I just finished technician year but currently unemployed. What salary can I expect for Temp work or permanent jobs ?

Comments

• Ian
    Ian Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor ⭐
    I just finished technician year but currently unemployed. What salary can I expect for Temp work or permanent jobs ?

To be honest I think that in this climate you should take anything that is offered to you. However there does seem to be a lot of jobs in finance at the moment. I would have thought of the top of my head that you can expect something like £26k.
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    I'm AAT qualified and on £13k if that's a better marker...
  • The Deadman
    AdamR wrote: »

You are joking right ? I did this qualification for a job enhancement and would certainly expect to earn above that amount unless there are hidden benefits ???
  • AdamR
    Nope, no benefits and I'm deadly serious. I have three years experience, and my tasks now include processing payroll, completing tax returns and auditing (I work in practice).

Don't set your hopes to high as you will be disappointed. The chartered qualifications are where the money lies; you will need an awful lot of years under your belt to be earning big bucks with just AAT.

Good luck:thumbup1:
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    In local council expect £18-24000.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You are joking right ? I did this qualification for a job enhancement and would certainly expect to earn above that amount unless there are hidden benefits ???

What experience do you have to offer?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️

Adam yiks do you work full time? ive worked in practise 4 years do have a large work load and am not qualified but that stinks mate
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I agree with the point Adam makes but his salary still seems low with this considered.

I'm full AAT, 23 years old (:thumbdown:), 4 years experience in practice, £23k + ACA contract.
  • The Deadman
    What experience do you have to offer?

My experience consists of purchase ledger job for 2 years then as a production team assistant on bbc dr who for 2 years before I got unceremoniously interviewed for my own job and shown the door. I was told I did not have enough experience to become an assistant production accountant. Whatever. I did freelance petty cash expenses, coding, vat seperation of expenses, ran reports on excel and did P46 tax returns. Then I've been doing temp jobs as as assistant accountant developing and preparing budget models, projections, journals and even developed macros for visual basic programming printing to print documents from spreadsheets similiar to a payroll. Done that for over a year now. So yeah now unemployed and looking for work. My last wage was £12.50 per hour. Thats why I ask what salary can I expect.
  • jay cutler
    jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    I earn £12.50 per hour at the moment. but given it's a recession i think there's a lot of overqualified people who wuold be willing to take accounts assistant job right now. Thats the market. You don't have a choice unless your uncle spoilt you when you were young.:001_smile: Good luck finding work.
  • Laura Cameron
    Laura Cameron Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Salary

I have just finished my level 3 and i earn more than 13k per year.

I am a finance assistant, doinf payroll adn basic finance duties. My work are supporting me through tech level and have been told my salary would rise to around 20 k mark at least.

I think in this climate it really will be different with each job its jsut about finding whats best at the moment.

I think if you are AAT qualified i would hope for more than 13k :O x
  • AdamR
    Yeh I know, rub it in lol!:lol:

I am paid badly but I really enjoy my job so it's not all bad. As mentioned, I own a flat and a car so I scrape by. If the global situation hadn't been as it was when I completed AAT last year, I would have asked for a substantial raise.

It's still an improvement on my first job where I was on £5,200pa for a 37.5 hour week less 3 hours on a Monday for AAT (which cost my employers nothing).

So moving on up!:001_smile:
  • AdamR
    Oh and I live in the backwater that is Lincolnshire. No salary surveys apply here!
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Ive recently applied for a trainee auditor position. Just waiting on a call back (please, please, please). At the moment im not in too much of a rush. I work on a production line (exciting....oh yeah...), boring as f**k, but getting paid around £13.50 per hour. Yes that is shift work. Im trying to get into the finance department, but have been told that it "is extremely difficult to go from hourly paid staff to salary" - what a cheek !! They have only got there self to blame if they lose this sweet piece of financial genius !!

I think at the moment one of the best things to do is aim for voluntary work to bolster the cv !! Get through this recession (What is the final date by the way ?) and then you can stand out a bit...

:thumbup1:
  • Ell1e
    Ell1e Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yeh I know, rub it in lol!:lol:

I am paid badly but I really enjoy my job so it's not all bad. As mentioned, I own a flat and a car so I scrape by. If the global situation hadn't been as it was when I completed AAT last year, I would have asked for a substantial raise.

It's still an improvement on my first job where I was on £5,200pa for a 37.5 hour week less 3 hours on a Monday for AAT (which cost my employers nothing).

So moving on up!:001_smile:

Isnt that far below minimum wage. 5200/52=per week for doing 34.5 hrs work (taking into account the 3 hours of AAT study) .. its less than £3 an hour!
    Or have I misread something here?
  • AdamR
    It was but I was on an apprenticeship at the time so minimum wage didn't apply. I never did any work though so it all balanced out!:laugh:

(I was only 16 at the time as well).
  • David0097
    David0097 Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
    I am just moving onto Technician Stage in Sep, have a degree in Business Management from a good uni and only earning £13250. I was told from a Partner last week to expect 16k once qualified which will be next year.

(Can't believe I gave up a 25k job in marketing to start again in Accountancy) lol.

I didn't reaslise when I applied for the job last year that I could have started as an ACA trainee, and now, with the economy the way it is, there are no vacancies for ACA trainees.

:mad2:
  • mahdi87
    mahdi87 Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i just had my last exams for tech and i am on £6/ hour in north london but dont get me worng i learnin loads of things but i will change ASAP if i get another job!
Privacy Policy