Is it possible to get into a big 4 accountancy firm if your qualified ?

The Deadman
The Deadman Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
Is it ? There's no indication that AAT qualifieds can get in. Only A-levels (To studdy AAT then ACA at a big 4) and graduates (Direct ACA study) seem to do it. Please tell me I'm wrong though.

Comments

• Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I won't say its impossible. There's nothing stopping you applying.

Do you want to work for a Big4 firm particularly? Any reason? I know a few mid-tier firms take on AAT members for ACA training. Also, Grant Thornton is looking particularly large and successful lately.

But recruitment is down at the moment.
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Like clockwork, I chime in on a big four thread.

The vast majority of their trainees are grads as you say. But you can bet there will be the odd AAT'er lurking in the shadows. It's definitely worth a shot.

I'd like to approach the big four firms after I've done my ACA as an exp. hire.

Bookworm the appeal of the big four is market value and exit opportunities that are utterly unrivalled anywhere in this profession of ours.
  • The Deadman
    I have to ask but is age a big factor ? I'm 29 next month. But I'm guessing my days of accounting glory are long gone.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    What? Its not premiership football. Are you after an ego boost?
  • Sonny_L
    You can be chartered by 31 or 32. Only 6 or 7 years older than the typical newly qualified CA. I'd stay optimistic.
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Bookworm the appeal of the big four is market value and exit opportunities that are utterly unrivalled anywhere in this profession of ours.

Maybe. I don't really see the appeal though. I've spoken to recruiters from Big Four firms and I'm not convinced they have anything to offer me.

I'm also not that convinced about them being much better than other top-ten firms: Grant Thornton, Baker Tilly, BDO Stoy Hayward, Smith and Williamson etc.
    I have to ask but is age a big factor ? I'm 29 next month. But I'm guessing my days of accounting glory are long gone.

As much as we aren't supposed to (unfairly) discriminate on the basis of age, it's a risk. It's more a function of your age relative to your experience and qualification level. A recruiter may not believe an older candidate would willingly work for as low a salary as a younger one, for instance.
  • Ell1e
    Ell1e Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    I have asked the big 4 aswell as many other firms whether they give the AAT merit towards the graduate opportunities positions. Some have been very helpful and suggested that they do give concession and others have been not so helpful.

One of the big 4 suggested I tried the experienced pathway of careers.. so I did... and I have just had my 2nd interview this morning for a job.

They are willing to take on AAT members and talking to people within the company a lot of them don't like the whole graduate process and feel that AAT members are not suited towards that area if they have some experience.

It is worth a try.. if I dont get the job, I have had experience of the interview.
  • Sonny_L
    ^^^ Nice one, good luck. Would you be getting ACA training from them?
  • Ell1e
    Ell1e Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Sonny_L wrote: »
    ^^^ Nice one, good luck. Would you be getting ACA training from them?

No I'll be getting CTA training as its a VAT job.
  • The Deadman
    Paul24 wrote: »
    What? Its not premiership football. Are you after an ego boost?

That is all true. I am indeed an egotistical Maniac. I wish to rule over lesser - I mean JUNIOR - team members (The young, unskilled, inexperienced and unqualified). :laugh:
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    well i would love to work for them personally but not as an ego trip (honest lol) but for the diversity of the work they do (mainly KPMG) who knows but i will try one day :001_smile:
  • Paul24
    That is all true. I am indeed an egotistical Maniac. I wish to rule over lesser - I mean JUNIOR - team members (The young, unskilled, inexperienced and unqualified). :laugh:

:laugh:
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You do realise that managing people (or ruling over lesser members) is like herding cats The Deadman?
  • A-Vic

But in the meantime be a good boy and stick the kettal on :lol:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Many of the best managers earn it on merit and experience, some of the worst ones on qualifications alone. Look down on other people and they'll never look up to you by return.
  • The Deadman
    A-Vic wrote: »

Indeed I enjoy making a good coffee for *myself*. I'm sure lesser team members are more than capable unless they are *inexperienced*, unqualified and incapable of doing so. A man of my talents - AAT qualified - only deserves the best. Premium rate pay for temp roles or a 25k salary with rule over lesser unskilled - I mean "JUNIOR" - members. :lol:
  • Paul24
    Well Ill pull rank as a PQ CIMA accountant then - shine my shoes pleb!
  • The Deadman
    Well Ill pull rank as a PQ CIMA accountant then - shine my shoes pleb!

No but your welcome to shine mine ....Mr PQ CIMA Accountant ??? Well CIMA is inferior to ACCA with the heavy restriction on what you can learn and by the sounds of it all you learned about is shoes.:lol:
  • Paul24
    Well CIMA is inferior to ACCA with the heavy restriction on what you can learn

:001_smile:
  • The Deadman

Since I'm AAT qualified and your not maybe you could shine my shoes "pleb":laugh:
  • A-Vic
    Since I'm AAT qualified and your not maybe you could shine my shoes "pleb":laugh:

But seeing as it took you 4 hours to reply maybe i'll make my own you obviously like to take your time to think :lol:

Plus you better buy some nice new shoes anyway with all that pacing up and down trying your hardest to get a good come back, they must have worn down some what. :lol:
  • The Deadman
    But seeing as it took you 4 hours to reply maybe i'll make my own you obviously like to take your time to think :lol:

Plus you better buy some nice new shoes anyway with all that pacing up and down trying your hardest to get a good come back, they must have worn down some what. :lol:

Yes well I can't be the established AAT forum resident as you are. Guess I don't have time for it. Maybe your time could be better spent working on your Unit 10 instead of thinking of your best "comeback". You could be qualifed (??) sooner than you think if you wanted. Well I heard FRA,ECR were a nightmare this year so good luck:laugh:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Deadman, taking into account your apparent obsession with trying to break into the management of others, my first impressions are we wouldn't even know where to start. I wouldn't want you as a manager where I am since I could see a revolt happening amongst the "lessers" quite quickly.

Please don't take these as complements since they're not meant to be, but you lack humility, control and knowing where to draw the line between mild mannered humour and outright mockery. Where others may lack your youth or apparent achievements, they more than make up for it with life skills and experience.

Good luck in your future managerial career - you'll need it.
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    No but your welcome to shine mine ....Mr PQ CIMA Accountant ??? Well CIMA is inferior to ACCA with the heavy restriction on what you can learn and by the sounds of it all you learned about is shoes.:lol:

Well as the ICAEW is meant to have the biggest snobbery value of them all, as a PQ ACA you can shine my shoes!:thumbup1:
  • The Deadman
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Deadman, taking into account your apparent obsession with trying to break into the management of others, my first impressions are we wouldn't even know where to start. I wouldn't want you as a manager where I am since I could see a revolt happening amongst the "lessers" quite quickly.

Please don't take these as complements since they're not meant to be, but you lack humility, control and knowing where to draw the line between mild mannered humour and outright mockery. Where others may lack your youth or apparent achievements, they more than make up for it with life skills and experience.

Good luck in your future managerial career - you'll need it.

Actually I will take those as complements. Thanks:laugh: I enjoyed reading the confrontation you had with the student angcr who sat the FRA exams. Keep up your "magnificent" posts.:laugh:
  • The Deadman
    AdamR wrote: »
    Well as the ICAEW is meant to have the biggest snobbery value of them all, as a PQ ACA you can shine my shoes!:thumbup1:

I'm afraid with your salary you'd have to shine mine. But don't worry you can get A-vic or any other AAT unqualified candidate to do this for you.:laugh:
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    So on that basis, Sir Fred Goodwin should have his shoes shined by every RBS customer, even though he almost destroyed the bank?

I like that logic!:confused1:
  • The Deadman
    Well what can I say I guess I will apply for the big4. Thanks for the goodluck Mr blobby. Thanks everyone for the encouraging replies.
  • Paul24
    My colleague used to work for one of the Big 4 firms. She is laughing her head off at your posts.

She doesnt think you will last a minute.

She is one of the most efficient accountants I have met, very good at her job, and very good at passing on knowledge to her staff.

Im sure she is wrong about you though.

All the best.
  • The Deadman
    My colleague used to work for one of the Big 4 firms. She is laughing her head off at your posts.

She doesnt think you will last a minute.

She is one of the most efficient accountants I have met, very good at her job, and very good at passing on knowledge to her staff.

Im sure she is wrong about you though.

All the best.

Well thats where I would corporate speak for interviews. I'm not suprised her reply. Glad I made her laugh, I suppose it takes her away from filing and photocopying for a bit. But thanks for the best wishes.
Privacy Policy