Literacy and Numeracy

CJC
CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
The latest edition of PQ Magazine lead with the comments of AAT Cliff Floyd regarding the poor levels of literacy and numeracy among students...
He stressed that students had to know how many grams are in a kilogram. The same goes for square centimetres as well, said Floyd.
Hmmm. Now, I'm not one who thinks students should be given every thing on a plate, but it does seem a bit hard to be expected to know how many square centimetres there are in a kilogram.
ยซ1

Comments

• AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I think it's 1000 if it's water... Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Oh no, 1000 cubic centimetres!

(I was right first time!:blushing:)
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    1kg of water, at a pressure of 1 Atmosphere and temperature of 298 Kelvin has a volume of 1 litre (approximately). Which is a thousand cubic centimetres.

If memory serves, a litre used to be defined as the volume of 1kg of water at a particular temperature and pressure (1atm and 298K being 'standard', so it might have been them). Or was it the other way around (a kilogram is the mass of a litre of water)?

I did like the article, especially the tagline about having to be able to add up. Really? I'd never have thought that would be useful for accountants.

I am very glad we don't have to count in imperial weights any more. I'm sure there's a perfectly valid reason why there are sixteen ounces to a pound, fourteen pounds to a stone, eight stone to a hundredweight and twenty hundredweights to a ton, but metric is just easier.

One thousand grams is a kilogram, one thousand kilograms is a ton. Easy.

Now how many grams in a second?
  • AdamR
    298k being room temperature I presume? I knew a kilo was a litre; put 1000cc, changed to 100 and then changed mind back again!:laugh:
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    1kg of water, at a pressure of 1 Atmosphere and temperature of 298 Kelvin has a volume of 1 litre (approximately). Which is a thousand cubic centimetres.

If memory serves, a litre used to be defined as the volume of 1kg of water at a particular temperature and pressure (1atm and 298K being 'standard', so it might have been them).

Ok hands up if you feel really dumb now \o/
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Me...

Bookworm and Adam should be relegated to their science/maths/waffle thread and only allowed to return if they promise to speak English again...
  • AdamR
    Bookworm and Adam should be relegated to their science/maths/waffle thread and only allowed to return if they promise to speak English again...

Where we can look down on you lessor mortals?:001_tt2:

Oh sorry, I forgot Deadman had left the building!:laugh:
  • ema192
    ema192 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Me...

I agree! did i bypass this is school ? or is it my youthfullness ?? ha i wish!
  • AdamR
    Now how many grams in a second?

(23.4832148^4)/Pi

I think...
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    ah that brings back memories of time gone by and past exam papers.

who remembers THAT thread?

I do believe Blobby put a link on a while back, funny times

Tracy
  • Bookworm55

I'll be good. ish.

298 Kelvin is just under 25 degrees Celsius.
    And yes, I am a science/maths nerd.
    Do I know relevant or useful things? Sometimes...
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I bet you can make a lovely cup of tea !!
  • Bookworm55
    I bet you can make a lovely cup of tea !!

I can make a lovely cup of tea. One of the things I have learned in my scientific days is an innate sense of just when a reaction/pot is properly brewed :001_smile:

I joke, but I also keep a cafetiere and teapot on my desk/office/kitchen.
  • A-Vic
    AdamR wrote: ยป
    Where we can look down on you lessor mortals?:001_tt2:

Oh sorry, I forgot Deadman had left the building!:laugh:

Dont you start with that :lol:
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i wood lick to say that me englash neads soom wark but me marths is spot onn !!!

:confused1:
  • taskey
    i wood lick to say that me englash neads soom wark but me marths is spot onn !!!

:confused1:

:laugh::lol::laugh::lol:
  • mark130273
    you like that one then taskey !
  • taskey
    you do make me laugh
    :)
  • mark130273
    well at least it shows that all accountants aint boring ?
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Is that a question or a statement?
  • mark130273
    fact i think ?
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    you're not a confident chap are you Mark - you seem to invite agreeing responses from all your posts by ending with "?".

You may be good at maths, but how are you at maths without a calculator... do you like to take it away for a few days to see if you can still mentally work out complex sums?

4838_107393272937_628552937_2884661_1694945_n.jpg
  • A-Vic
    Buff wrote: ยป
    you're not a confident chap are you Mark - you seem to invite agreeing responses from all your posts by ending with "?".

You may be good at maths, but how are you at maths without a calculator... do you like to take it away for a few days to see if you can still mentally work out complex sums?

4838_107393272937_628552937_2884661_1694945_n.jpg

ewwww trig one subject in maths i could never get - e+y = i havnt a bloody clue
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It's not trig it's pythagoras!

And it's 5cm :001_smile: but now I'm going to look like a complete moron if I'm wrong...
  • A-Vic
    It's not trig it's pythagoras!

And it's 5cm :001_smile: but now I'm going to look like a complete moron if I'm wrong...

Lol smartie pants

How you doing gem?
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'm flipping terrified, I've got cm's on the brain at the moment. Had a 34 week growth scan today and the baby's head circumference is 334.8cm and estimated weight is 5lb8. I'm giving birth to a pumpkin!

How are you? I bet you're glad exams are over for a bit!
  • CJC
    That's not trig (which I was not much good on myself) just your basic Pythagoras โ€“ the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides so xยฒ = yยฒ +zยฒ or x =โˆš(yยฒ +zยฒ )

PS Don't you hate it when people nip in and say the same thing while you're in the process of typing. Still, great minds think alike, eh Gem?
  • A-Vic
    I'm flipping terrified, I've got cm's on the brain at the moment. Had a 34 week growth scan today and the baby's head circumference is 334.8cm and estimated weight is 5lb8. I'm giving birth to a pumpkin!

Yiks big bub there.

Really glad there over, bring on Deploma :001_smile:
  • CJC
    And they (well men) say women are the weaker sex :ohmy:
  • taskey
    omg 334.8 cm circumference - YIKES - that cannot be right

how far along are you now?

Tracy
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who has noticed that Gem's baby is going to have the biggest head on earth! and indeed possible the universe EVER!

With a circumference of 3.348 METERS!?

:lol::lol::lol:

You're a star Gem x
Privacy Policy