Debenture

jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Can anyone explain exactly what this is. I have googled it but cant find an easy explanation of this.

Comments

• columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    OK,

This is taken from my book-keeping notes, hope it is okay to retype them on here!

Debentures - Also known as Loan Stock or Loan Capital

A debenture is a loan made to the business and will be repaid at a future date. It is different from an ordinary share which will normally never be repaid.

Interest is paid at the rate quoted and must be paid whether the company makes a profit or not. They are classed as business expenses (ie P&L) and again differ from dividends paid on shares which are paid out of profits (after net profit has been calculated) and might not be paid at all.

Debentures are issued as;

Redeemable Debentures;

A company can borrow money by issuing debentures at a published rate of interest and stating the period for which they wish to borrow the money. Usually 2 dates are quoted eg 2009-2015 which shows the date of issue and the date of repayment.

Irredeemable Debentures;

No future date when the loan is redeemed is anticipated although they would be due for repayment in the event that the company went into liquidation.

Secured Debentures;

These may be issued on the basis that the lenders have a legal right that, subject to certain situations they can take control of certain assets and sell them to recover their loan. These may also be known as mortgage debentures.

Unsecured Debentures;

These have no charge over the assets of the company. They are also know as simple debentures.
  • jewels.p
    OK,

This is taken from my book-keeping notes, hope it is okay to retype them on here!

Debentures - Also known as Loan Stock or Loan Capital

A debenture is a loan made to the business and will be repaid at a future date. It is different from an ordinary share which will normally never be repaid.

Interest is paid at the rate quoted and must be paid whether the company makes a profit or not. They are classed as business expenses (ie P&L) and again differ from dividends paid on shares which are paid out of profits (after net profit has been calculated) and might not be paid at all.

Debentures are issued as;

Redeemable Debentures;

A company can borrow money by issuing debentures at a published rate of interest and stating the period for which they wish to borrow the money. Usually 2 dates are quoted eg 2009-2015 which shows the date of issue and the date of repayment.

Irredeemable Debentures;

No future date when the loan is redeemed is anticipated although they would be due for repayment in the event that the company went into liquidation.

Secured Debentures;

These may be issued on the basis that the lenders have a legal right that, subject to certain situations they can take control of certain assets and sell them to recover their loan. These may also be known as mortgage debentures.

Unsecured Debentures;

These have no charge over the assets of the company. They are also know as simple debentures.

Thanks for that. So can the loan be from an outside party or is it a Loan from an Owner or Partner of the business?
  • columbia
    Hey I quoted verbatim, you don't expect me to understand it do you???!!!!!

Seriously though, I think the loan can be from anybody, although I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    How much detail do you want?

A debenture is a long-term loan. (ie non-current liability)

More specifically, a debenture is a document which creates or acknowledges a debt. It is a loan secured upon the assets of the company (rather than the assets of the shareholders or not being secured at all).

eep... the last three posts above arrived while I was deciding how much to write!
  • columbia
    Sorry Bookworm, I worried someone might also post whilst I was typing!!!
  • jewels.p
    Hey I quoted verbatim, you don't expect me to understand it do you???!!!!!

Seriously though, I think the loan can be from anybody, although I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!

:laugh: Thanks for your help. I am doing Unit 15 and am attempting a Cash Budget with "8% Debentures" and wasnt sure what it was. It wouldave been easier if they'd just put "Loan":laugh:
  • jewels.p
    How much detail do you want?

A debenture is a long-term loan. (ie non-current liability)

More specifically, a debenture is a document which creates or acknowledges a debt. It is a loan secured upon the assets of the company (rather than the assets of the shareholders or not being secured at all).

eep... the last three posts above arrived while I was deciding how much to write!

• jewels.p
    So all in all is it just another word for a Long Term Loan?
  • columbia
    Yeah!
Privacy Policy