Questions & Answers on Unit 10

Shar-ley
Shar-ley Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐

Hi

I thought I would start a new thread for all of us that are struggling with Unit 10.

I have just completed Intermediate and want to get started on this Unit 10 report but don't have any ideas on where to start off!

I thought we could help each other on this Unit through this thread!

So first question... Where is the best place to start???

Shar-ley
:confused1:
Β«1

Comments

• AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    As suggested by another regular earlier, creating a "help" thread with lots of useful information on it would be a good start. However, please use the tools available on the AAT website - there are four useful documents here that I came accross in two mouse clicks from the AAT homepage.

And to answer your question with a Sound of Music - the very beginning, of course!

Good luck!:thumbup1:
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Right ive chosen a topic to cover ive found a mentor we have discussed the topic ive decided to use and they think its a great idea, the thing thats troubling me is the lay out (mapping) part
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Here is a link from the old website, that gives a general idea on the layout of the report.

http://www.accountingtechnician.co.uk/atonline/learning_zone/display/store690/item21168/
  • A-Vic
    mikes wrote: Β»
    Here is a link from the old website, that gives a general idea on the layout of the report.

http://www.accountingtechnician.co.uk/atonline/learning_zone/display/store690/item21168/

Thanks mikes

Its more this numbering 1.1 1.2 2.1 2.2 ect
  • mikes
    I think this is more for each paragraph, in each chapter. So chapter 1 paragraph 1 would be 1.1, then sub paragraph 1 would be 1.1.1 and so on. It does sound confusing. I would leave this to the end, as you would keep changing the order of paragraphs as you go on and having to renumber everything as you go on, will get annoying. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.
  • A-Vic
    Your right am just going to make a start on my draft and worry about the lay out later cheers :thumbup1:
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    Your right am just going to make a start on my draft and worry about the lay out later cheers :thumbup1:

leaving it late there hunny bunch !:laugh:
  • A-Vic
    leaving it late there hunny bunch !:laugh:

Am only advanced certificate dont start deploma till september so getting a jump start
  • Ian
    Ian Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor ⭐
    Am only advanced certificate dont start deploma till september so getting a jump start

I am going to do the same. Still do not know where to start though
  • Big Bird
    Big Bird Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    You can buy study books for unit 10 Osbourne do one, and it has sample projects in. Unit 10 is really not that bad when you get into it. Leave the mapping till last, when your draft has been approved by your tutor, then map it, Just one idea which a few students dis and I wish I had done, was to do the project in a table with a narrow margin on the left so you can type in your mapping, as I had to write mine in.

Its not that bad honest:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
  • Shar-ley
    I now know which subject i'm doing and i'm going to start by doing my companys back ground. Think I will invest in a Unit 10 book though just for ideas on how to set out the project.

:001_smile:
  • Pinkjo
    Pinkjo Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    What kind of subject is good enough? I'm thinking of doing credit control system, as I want to base it on my job - we're a small company and I do all the accounts - and that is the area of weakness so to speak - no real procedures in place. Do you think that would be a good idea?
  • mikes
    I would think so. Any topic that is accounts related, where you can identify a weakness and have suggestions for improvements, would count. It would help you, if it was on an area that you are familar with, as the ideas and words would come easier to you.
  • Pinkjo
    Pinkjo Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks - have also emailed my tutor, she has said it's a good idea :thumbup1: So I've done 14 words, 3986 to go :lol:
  • mark130273

well done then for starting now. i went in college on thursday just to get my portfolio signed off ...so finished everything and just waiting for the 4 "Y" in august and my tutor asked what should be done sifferently this year. and the first thing i said to him was to start the project in september to give everyone a chance to complete it ?
  • A-Vic
    well done then for starting now. i went in college on thursday just to get my portfolio signed off ...so finished everything and just waiting for the 4 "Y" in august and my tutor asked what should be done sifferently this year. and the first thing i said to him was to start the project in september to give everyone a chance to complete it ?

Well done you

So whats the plan now? (acca cima) Hows job hunt going??
  • jkc
    jkc Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I dont work in accounts but the voluntary placement I have asked me to look at customer service charges (is the customer and the company getting a good value) and recommend improvements I could find this service excellent which would be a pat on the back for the company, I havent met with the managers yet so know little about the service, Its a big project Im wondering if I can remotely relate it to unit 10, but finding it difficult what does every one think. but I think I already know the answer to my own question and will end up doing a sim.
    thanks
  • A-Vic
    jkc wrote: Β»
    I dont work in accounts but the voluntary placement I have asked me to look at customer service charges (is the customer and the company getting a good value) and recommend improvements I could find this service excellent which would be a pat on the back for the company, I havent met with the managers yet so know little about the service, Its a big project Im wondering if I can remotely relate it to unit 10, but finding it difficult what does every one think. but I think I already know the answer to my own question and will end up doing a sim.
    thanks

I dont know i think you could use this as the cost evaluation would be good and show the effects ect, i work at an accountancy but am basing my unit ten project on the admin side (i hope i can do this)
  • mark130273
    Well done you

So whats the plan now? (acca cima) Hows job hunt going??

well the plan is for ACCA but found it really hard to get a public training course near liverpool ....the nearest one is in mmu !!
  • fpettifer
    fpettifer Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    ask for the case study and write about that, will save you loads of time.

wish i had!
  • A-Vic
    Discussed with my mentor without telling me what to write i have an idea how to tackle this now
  • Shar-ley
    lol.
  • mark130273
    Discussed with my mentor without telling me what to write i have an idea how to tackle this now

will try and read your project sometime soon .....didnt get too it last night as was watching murray !!!
  • mi|kshake
    mi|kshake Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi,

I have a question, though I am now a bit late with this considering how far on I am with my project but...

Does your recommendation always have to be that your chosen accounting system should be replaced? I've highlighted issues with the system I've chosen but have recommended that the system stays in place. It's just I noticed the wording on the AAT website is something like "pick a system, find a problem with it and recommend a solution". In my case there isn't much of a solution - we're keeping that accounting package lol.

mi|kshake~
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Couldn't you recommend that it is replaced and then in your conclusion say your recommendation was rejected? Or can you recommend any other way in which the accounting system could be improved?
  • A-Vic
    will try and read your project sometime soon .....didnt get too it last night as was watching murray !!!

Its only plan but changed it again lol
  • safrica
    safrica Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi,

have just started on my project but have one question : I understand the 2 sections (10.1 & 10.2) have to be combined on the report or do you write a section on 10.1 (managing people) and the other on 10.2 (identify weakness and recommend solution etc...) ???:confused1:
    thanks for help !
  • Norris
    Norris Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    referencing unit 10

Hi
    What is the policy regarding references in the Unit 10 Project? Is it necessary to reference every resource used or just the quotes (if there are any)? For example, if I read a text book for general hints and guidance but didn't actually quote anything from it would I need to list it in the reference section? - I have read many things to try to get some clues about unit 10, but can't remember what half of them are....

What style of referencing should be used? For example, in my BA Hons degree we had to use the Harvard style - where a page of references set out in a particular way is included as an appendix.

And what is the final, final date to hand in this Project? (I can never get a straight answer from my Tutor. He just says 'whenever you've finished')

thanks to anyone who can help.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Norris

When I did my project I did not reference books purely read to get general hints.

As for the reference presentation I simply had a section called reference and made a list.

The deadline is as your tutor said. Whenever you get it finished. Some people need longer than others. I did my project in just four weeks, some of my other friends took up to a year. It is entirely up to you.

Thanks

Speegs
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Does anyone in NW or N London need a mentor.

Calling all project 10 lovies.

If you need a mentor and are in the North or North West London area. I am available. Just shout!

I don't need payment. I just want to help.

Speegs :thumbup:
Privacy Policy