Newbie!! - Info

Options
kellyriddell
kellyriddell Registered Posts: 84 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello all, my name is Kelly ans as you can gather from the title I am completely new to this!! I am internally transfering within my company to a trainee accountant and will be starting my AAT qualifications shortly. Does anyone have any advice on what I need to get before I attend classes (do I need a scientific calculator etc) - and also how long to people study throughout the week? Just so I can gear myself for what is coming up, I am really looking forward to starting and want to make sure I am well prepared!

Thanks for looking

Kelly
Β«1

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi Kelly welcome to the forums

You only need a very basic calculator, one that can + - / and* and maybe %
    I'd get some folders or files to keep your notes in for each unit
    Other than that just your usual note pad, pens, pencils, ruler etc.

How often do you go to college to study? I only went once every 3-4 weeks so I was doing more hours at home than most other people, but if you're going once a week you'll probably find you need to do around 2 hours of studying at home per week.

If accountancy is completely new to you then it can be a bit intimidating when you first start, but if you have any problems speak to your tutor or come to the forums, most of us are friendly! Are you starting at foundation level?

Good luck with your studies :thumbup1:
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Well I shall be taking a book keeping course and then straight into intermediate, and shall be studying a full day Saturday every week.

So what level are you at? Are you still studying?
  • Gem7321
    Options
    I finished AAT a little while ago now, when I've finished maternity leave I'll start studying either ACCA or ACA.

I think you're better off starting at intermediate if you can, foundation takes a long time for whats involved and you cover it all again at intermediate anyway! you should be fine with your bookkeeping course, it'll give you a sound knowledge of double entry ready for intermediate.
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Brilliant thats what i plan to do.....next 7 years of studying! Have you had your baby yet? Just noticed your piccie is a ultrasound! How on earth are you going to fit it all in?!
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Nope still got another 4 weeks to go!

I'll get a lot of support and help from my other half and my parents. I'm hoping that I'll be able to go back to work 4 days a week then I can spend a day at home studying! I won't really be able to go to college so I'll have to do distance learning if work will let me. I'm trying not to worry about it too much yet, I'm hoping everything will just fall into place!
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Im sure it will....its good that you have got a lot of support around you...my work is being fantastic and have an amazing support network, and my partners being very suportive about it all. We live with his mother as she is tetrapleagic so as well as studying and working full time we are also carers....so I know what you mean about it all falling into place!! Everything will work out....positive thinking and all!!

Do you know whether your having a boy or a girl?
  • Gem7321
    Options
    This sounds like a good opportunity for you, I hope you enjoy it!

It's gonna be a surprise, I wanted to know but my other half didn't so he won!
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Hahaha! So where abouts do you work then? Is the company helping you through your qualification?
  • Gem7321
    Options
    I work in practice in Exeter. Because of my age my AAT was fully funded so work only had to pay for my membership and exam fees and stuff. They are very supportive of further-studying but I don't think they've ever been in the situation where the trainee has got a baby, so I hope they will be just as supportive to me!

Do you work in practice or industry?
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Well I work for a company called Saint-Gobain (Worldwide Construction Company) and was succesful in an application to move to accounts which I start on 3rd August. Theyre paying for everything for me and once I have completed these 3 years they are willing to continue for the extra 4 years so I will be a fully qulified accountant!! I see this as being a huge oppurtunity for me and I wont let them down!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Welcome to the forums!

Firstly - Congrats Gem.. and never realised you were only 19!

Secondly - if money isn't an issue i would say do Foundation.. it really helps knowing your Drs and Crs before moving on to FRA as there is a lot more to learn in FRA if accountancy is new to you..

That's my 2ps worth :)
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Well I work for a company called Saint-Gobain (Worldwide Construction Company) and was succesful in an application to move to accounts which I start on 3rd August. Theyre paying for everything for me and once I have completed these 3 years they are willing to continue for the extra 4 years so I will be a fully qulified accountant!! I see this as being a huge oppurtunity for me and I wont let them down!

welcome to the forum. this forum will help you very much to pass all your exams and skill tests......if you need to know anything on here even if its not about account you can still ask and someone will come up with a answer or solution........

i only started on here after about 6 months of studying and didnt think much of it at first but now im hooked(how sad) ......good bunch of people and some have a good sense of humour mentioning no names(bl****h):laugh:
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Welcome....everyone on here is really helpful and its the first place i come to for help...good luck with your studies :001_smile:
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    you will have to bare with me with all of the abreviations -Drs Crs FRA?

I work in administration at the moment but process a lot of invoices and deal with credits and debits on a daily basis closely with finance....do you think that this will be of any benefit to me? Hold me in good sted?!
  • AK002
    Options
    Drs = Debits Crs = Credits.

Ah didn't realise you had done previous accounts work.

have a look for the foundation exam. If you can complete that then you should be in good sted to start Intermediate.

You sound very much like how i started tho' started in admin and then helped out finance then moved onto accounts!
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Yeah pretty much what Im doing!! I know the basic basics but Im a bit unsure as to how someones actions can have a knock on effect in sales ledger etc...im taking the double entry book keeping course first and then going into intermediate so hopefully that should give me a good foundation knowledge?
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Another quick one - Is all the reading material provided adequate or is it advisable to do some outside reading as well? :confused1:
  • AK002
    Options
    All should be adequate tbh.

haven't looked back but are you going to to day release? Night course or distance learning? What college?
  • mark130273
    Options
    3-4 hours a week ....revising .. thats all !
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Im not sure what is classed as but it will be (as far as I am aware) every Saturday, and then 2 day release from work when I have exams - Ill be studying with Kaplan at the center in Nottingham.

I need to be in a class room situation every once in a while!!
  • mark130273
    Options
    sounds lik a good deal you got there as I only got one day a week and had to do the rest at home by myself....good luck !
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Yeah I think its definately a good set up for me though doesn't take away any nerves and self pressure I put onto myself lol!!! One of my main problems is I worry too much....the job i start in august i have no qualifications for or anything so they obviously have seen potential in me though that puts more pressure on me.....can you see the circle forming lol!! Any tips on relaxation and de stress lol
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Very sorry to hear you'll be in Nottingham.
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    What makes you say that? I had a choice of Leicester / Nottingham / and Birmingham but Birm is a bit far out for me and I live inbetween Leaicester and Nottingham!
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    Add on to my previous post (Its been a long day!) Is anybody on here studying in Nottingham or is it just me?!
  • mark130273
    Options
    Yeah I think its definately a good set up for me though doesn't take away any nerves and self pressure I put onto myself lol!!! One of my main problems is I worry too much....the job i start in august i have no qualifications for or anything so they obviously have seen potential in me though that puts more pressure on me.....can you see the circle forming lol!! Any tips on relaxation and de stress lol

relaxation........plenty of beer !:lol:
  • kellyriddell
    Options
    I very rarely drink! Does this mean in 3 years time ill be attending aa meetings?!?!?!?!
  • AK002
    Options
    Yes.

AAT in the morning, AA in the afternoon lol :)!

You'll be fine :D!
  • Luflux
    Luflux Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Firstly lol at AK002.

Kelly I bypassed Foundation level and did a book keeping course and found it to be a better route than starting at lvl2. Can't remember off the top of my head who i did the Bookeeping course with now but at the end of the year we were learning the principles of Debits and Credits and were working in the back tables of Sage rather than the automated system. This helped alot when progressing to Level 3 AAT and i ended up with another qualification on its own.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    as far as revising i know we were told to match the class room on hours of study so i did over 5 hours in the week but id avise before december exam you put in a lot there isnt much time to revise for the FRA
Privacy Policy