Scared and Confused :-(

turbo_sammie
turbo_sammie Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello everyone,

I have recently begun to study towards the AAT Diploma at foundation level, and I am FREAKED!! I have been in employment for 7-8 years, but have no experience in accounts or finance. I figured the AAT Diploma was a good starting point to get into my chosen field (no-one wants to hire people with no qualifications these days), but after reading the first 8 chapters and attempting a short test, I am fully convinced that I will never be able to grasp this. Did anyone else ever feel like this? Is there anyone out there that is starting this Diploma with absolutely no idea what they are doing?

Comments

• mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    stick with it !!!! if you dont know anything about accounting procedures then learning about dr and cr is really hard.........but once this is mastered then a lot of thing will fall into place......

and this forum does help a lot !
  • turbo_sammie
    Yeah, the whole dr and cr thing used up alot of brain energy, but I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I just worry that it seems so difficult now, and I'm still right at the beginning! I wonder if I was being too optimistic thinking that completing the foundation stage with no work experience was possible?
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Yeah, the whole dr and cr thing used up alot of brain energy, but I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I just worry that it seems so difficult now, and I'm still right at the beginning! I wonder if I was being too optimistic thinking that completing the foundation stage with no work experience was possible?

I did it as a fast track and had no experience what so ever...your'e not goin to get it straight away...thats why your'e learning mate. Would be a bit boring if you did, but it will come and when it does it will be more gratifying....

:thumbup:
  • turbo_sammie
    Very true. Did you complete the full Diploma?
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I think i was fortunate enough to start working in accounts before I actually started my AAT. So i had got most of the problems with Drs & Crs out of the way before starting :), stick with it though, it does get easier :tongue_smilie:
  • rachy1975
    Very true. Did you complete the full Diploma?

No, im taking the NVQ route. I did the fast track foundation and intermediate (18 weeks for each level), i have no experience what so ever. I was a lecturer for seven years and then a relief manager in the south west for a nationwide charity...im starting technician in september (exams results pending...) and still have no experience..but then i also dont expect to go out and get a job paying lots straight away either...but i have just got a job in a cash office, not exactly accounts but its a start for someone with no experience and everything takes time.
    Everyone on here is absolutely brilliant and if you are ever stuck just ask and some one will explain it in terms that will make it click for you....:001_smile:
  • turbo_sammie
    Am I understanding this correctly? You managed to complete the foundation and intermediate levels within 36 weeks?! Christ, I've only managed to do the first 8 chapters and I started in April!! I think it's about time I cracked on with this..... :huh:
  • rachy1975
    Am I understanding this correctly? You managed to complete the foundation and intermediate levels within 36 weeks?! Christ, I've only managed to do the first 8 chapters and I started in April!! I think it's about time I cracked on with this..... :huh:

Yes BUT...i attended college 3 days a week, dont work, have a teenage son who can fend for himself, so i had all the time to study for it. If i worked had a younger family i would not of done it fast track, i would of struggled to fit it in. Also we all learn at different speeds and take some things on quicker than others and others slower...You will be fine.. :001_smile:

and like i said, everyone on here are really really helpful.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Sammie,

None of us were born accountants and we all had to start off with the debits and credits brain fry thing. Jeez, I remember doing my first Foundation sim in November 2004 on Purchase Ledger Control Accounts and worrying for a whole week thinking I was never gonna go anywhere with this accounting thing.

And here I am nearly five years later... I was right!

Just kidding... We all go through the same doubts but like a 5,000 piece jigsaw, once it has your commitment and attention, it will all fit into place eventually, one piece at a time.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Getting your head around double entry from scratch is probably the hardest part of the whole AAT thing. I failed the sim I did but managed to get through everything else with no major hiccoughs. Stick at it and it will all click eventually.
  • darrelle1
    darrelle1 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Hi i have taken my final skill test for the foundation level ,it was 1 day aweek at collage for 36 week .i beleave i passed just waiting for the aat to say it.just keep doing your best you'll get there i have 4 young kid and a wife
  • kellyriddell
    kellyriddell Registered Posts: 84 Regular contributor ⭐
    Im yet to start all of this worry and agst is making me nervous lol!
  • jen
    jen Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Pearls

I was quite confused with the whole debit credit thing at first until my tutor told us to just remember PEARLS-
    Purchases, Expenses, Assets, Revenue, Liabilities, Sales.
    The first 3 are always debits and the last 3 are aways credits.
    Remeber that and you cant really go wrong.:001_smile:
  • mark130273
    PEARLS........wow that takes me back .......trying to rememebr which is which and what side ......

it just seemed so hard at the start....... and now look finished my final exam and i still havent got a clue on which side it should go on !!!lol

but for anyone whos startng the AAT course.....think of it like your first driving lesson....how did we learn ??
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    mark130273 wrote: »
    finished my final exam and i still havent got a clue on which side it should go on !!!

Remind me never to let you do my accounts!
  • flower
    flower Registered Posts: 160 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Yes I agree with everyone else. Stick with it. I had trouble getting my head around Dr and Cr but found the E Learning on this site very helpful.
  • mark130273
    Gem7321 wrote: »
    Remind me never to let you do my accounts!

gem you know i only kidding........cause i know.......enter it on sage and they do it all !!!:tongue_smilie:
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Don't worry - you'll get loads of support on here.x
Privacy Policy