Accounting Standards Refresher Course

Steve Collings
Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi All,

In addition to the revision days that I am going to be doing in September, October and November I am running an IFRS Accounting Standards Refresher course on Saturday 26 September 2009 in Manchester City Centre (venue to be confirmed). The cost of the course will be £25 per delegate and will cover the core areas of accounting standards (particularly those assessable at DFS) and the principles of consolidation. The day is not designed to be a study day or a revision day as courses will only have just kicked off after the results release, but is intended to be an "accelerator" course for your studies.

The course is scheduled to start at 10am and run until 3pm with a couple of breaks thrown in.

If you are interested in attending then please email me at:

steve.collings@accountancystudents.co.uk

The class size will be capped at 10 people so it will be much a case of first come first served.

Best wishes
steve

Comments

• Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Will this help with Units 8&9. Are you doing any revision days for those two units in Sept, Oct or Nov?
  • Steve Collings
    Hi Esme,

Does unit 8 & 9 refer to FRA??? Apologies but I am not too familiar with the syllabus in FRA as where AAT is concerned I tend to concentrate more on DFS. I am not absolutely certain how heavily accounting standards feature in FRA though it will be relevant as the two papers do overlap to a certain degree.

In terms of the course on the 26th September, this will primarily look at a number of IFRS/IAS across the whole extant. I will pick out some of the core aspects and as such the day is designed to help students who are studying DFS/other corporate reporting papers across the various professional bodies to trim down their studying and get more of a focus - hence why it is so soon after the results release. Dealings with past students indicate that a lot of students tend to get bogged down in studying accounting standards - this is course is designed to help minimise students workload and help them get better techniques in dealing with FR papers at the start of their studies which will then give them more time for revision, which will then get them through the paper (or at least help them get through). That's the idea at least!

Kind regards

Steve
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Steve,

Units 8 & 9 are PEV and PCR, so no I don't think this would be relevant.

I am starting DFS in Feb with the exam in June, will you be holding another one of these courses early next year or will this be the only one before the June exams?
  • Steve Collings
    Hi Esme,

Sandy Hood is PEV/PCR expert and he will be running some courses for those types of papers. His dates usually go up around the results release time.

My courses will be being run every year so I will no doubt see you on a DFS course next year!

Best wishes

Steve
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Steve

This sounds interesting and will need something like this if I fail DFS.

Also I have an interview with a firm of accountants. Will this course be designed for practical purposes.
    Glynis
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Steve

Are you going to be running any IFRS/IAS courses in or around London, and would they be suitable for MIPs?

Thanks

Speegs
  • Steve Collings
    Glynis wrote: »
    Steve

This sounds interesting and will need something like this if I fail DFS.

Also I have an interview with a firm of accountants. Will this course be designed for practical purposes.
    Glynis

It would all depend on what type of clients you are potentially going to be dealing with. If you are dealing with small/medium companies then the UK are going to be reporting under the current GAAP (FRS/UITFS/SSAP) for the time being. If you are going to be dealing with Aim-listed and PLC's then I suppose it would be relevant as they are duty bound to report under IFRS.

Steve
  • Steve Collings
    speegs wrote: »
    Hi Steve

Are you going to be running any IFRS/IAS courses in or around London, and would they be suitable for MIPs?

Thanks

Speegs

The IASB have now issued the standard for the SME sector to switch to IFRS, but I am planning on some courses (either organised by myself or as a speaker at AAT CPD masterclasses) on the impact IFRS has (or will have) on smaller companies.

The IASB only issued the standard last Thursday and the UK's Accounting Standards Board are meeting with them next Wednesday to finalise the details for the SME sector in the UK to switch over. I will then organise some seminars specifically for this issue.

Best wishes

Steve
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor 🐘
    Echoing speegs, London please! Steve
  • Steve Collings
    reddwarf wrote: »
    Echoing speegs, London please! Steve

I will look at London around mid to late October.:thumbup1:

Kind regards

Steve
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    FAO steve

Steve

Can you explain exactly what "GAAP" means please.

Glynis
  • Steve Collings
    Glynis wrote: »
    Steve

Can you explain exactly what "GAAP" means please.

Glynis

Generally Accepted Accounting Practice.

Surely you must have come across this phrase in your DFS studies - it's splashed almost everywhere in every financial reporting paper!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Seems a good course..

Not fancy coming up to Bonny Scotland :001_tt2:
  • Steve Collings
    Well.....you never know!

Kind regards
    Steve
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    The IASB have now issued the standard for the SME sector to switch to IFRS, but I am planning on some courses (either organised by myself or as a speaker at AAT CPD masterclasses) on the impact IFRS has (or will have) on smaller companies.

The IASB only issued the standard last Thursday and the UK's Accounting Standards Board are meeting with them next Wednesday to finalise the details for the SME sector in the UK to switch over. I will then organise some seminars specifically for this issue.

Best wishes

Steve

Thanks Steve. I wait with baited breath.

Speegs:thumbup:
Privacy Policy