Wootton Bassett

farmergiles
farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I don't know which side of the fence you stand, whether you support the war in Afghanistan or not, but I defy anyone to watch the news last night and not feel, at least, a lump in their throat when these brave young soldiers were given a heroes welcome by the people of Wootton Bassett.
As an ex-serviceman, I may not agree with the war they are fighting but I will back them to the hilt for doing their job to the best of their ability and giving the ultimate sacrifice. God bless them all and rest in peace.

Comments

• PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Taskey passed me details of a facebook group to show support to those people at Wooton Basset.

I think a lot of people forget when they are banging on about which side they are on in the campagins about Afgahnistan and Iraq that those soldiers out there on the ground are risking their lives everyday and we should support them even if we don't support the decision makers who send them to these places.

One of my cousins in the US infantry is just back after a year out there and missed so much of his kids growing and changing. All those men and women out there are all missing precious time with their families.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    too be true i think this thing in afghanistan is totally wrong and the worst thing that i have found is that no-one has mentioned that mr obarma in the good old US of A said last week that Britain is the easiest and biggest target for terrorism !
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    I know exactly what you mean FG, I was teary eyed and good on the people of Wooton Bassett for showing their support for the soldiers and their families, although obviously it would be preferable if they didn't have to to do it.
  • mark130273
    i never seen it .so cant comment on how bad it looked and how tearful it would of been but one thing i do know.....it is costing this country of ours BILLIONS !!! now would it be better to spend this money on hospitals, vaccine for swine flu, banking crisis ??surely there is many more other/better things to spend this money on ?
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    There may well be better things to spend the money on and the war may not be a good idea but that doesn't detract from the fact that 8 soldiers came home in coffins yesterday, fighting for this country whether the cause they have been sent for is right or not.
  • mark130273
    that is too true and it is not their fault in any way.......
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    being over here with the forces, it hits a lot harder. we see the wives and kids (and of course hubbies and kids) of the guys and girls out there.

i was in my office one day last week when it was announced another soldier had lost his life. all the military in my office went silent immediately. it was eerie. as i work in their accomodation before they go on tour we have to ask them to pack up their rooms. it is an awful moment when they realise why you are asking them to do that. but it is a wonderful feeling when the ones you know return.

I know every one can say "it's their job - what do they expect". but they could do their job so much better if the govenernment spent their money on things like mmmmmm body protection. you would not believe that soldiers are sent out there with a flak jacket - but it has no body armour within the jacket - they may aswell be wearing an illumious cycling vest for the good it does.

i passed on the group in facebook as it is a very close subject for me.

i do support the troops where ever they are and i do support any town that makes our lads and lasses the highlight of their day. some days it will be sad, but some days when the whole regiment returns from the tour and they are able to walk through the towns in their uniforms it is a fantastic sight.

sorry for the long rant but they guys and girls need as much support as we can give them.

Tracy
  • reddevil68
    reddevil68 Registered Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    I agree completely, whether you agree with the war and the reasons for it it's hugely important to support the boys and girls who are doing their jobs in very difficult circumstances. My hubby's RAF and got back from afghan yesterday morning and I know I'm one of the lucky ones.
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hey Reddevil,

Your hubby just got back and your here on the chat site.... Go make up for lost time!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Trace

ps, on a serious note my thoughts go out to all the brave lads and ladesses serving our country. My brother is ex para, and I know he used to buy loads of his own essential items when he went on tour as they were so ill equipped in the basics.
  • reddevil68
    reddevil68 Registered Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    We made the most of it all day yesterday, and again 2day!! God I love my kids are all in school now:001_tt2::001_tt2:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    So you got those shelves put up then?

:tongue_smilie:
  • mark130273
    CJC wrote: Β»
    So you got those shelves put up then?

:tongue_smilie:

how do you know i have got some shelves to put up ????
  • X5wrangler
    X5wrangler Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I have lots of friends in the Forces and I watch the news every time a repatriation happens. I unabashedly bawled my eyes out from start to finish when I saw those 8 cars.
  • mark130273
    they put there lifes on the line for us and we should all be sograteful to them all !
Privacy Policy