ACCA or CIMA?

turbo_sammie
turbo_sammie Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor โญ
Which is better? Please enlighten me.

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    They are two pretty different qualifications, and it's normally personal preference.

ACCA is more for preparing accounts in practice and CIMA is more management accounting etc.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    They are two pretty different qualifications, and it's normally personal preference.

ACCA is more for preparing accounts in practice and CIMA is more management accounting etc.

May i also add large organisations tend to want CIMA
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    well im doing ACCA...but rather do CIMA......would it be any good if i did ACCA then CIMA or would i be wasting my time doing CIMA ?
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Do they take the same amount of time to complete?
  • mark130273
    depends on what exceptins you might have?
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    If you've completed AAT
  • mark130273
    think there is only about 6 months between them.....but it depends on how much you wish to study as most people will take two papers every six months but you can just do one paper every six months but then that will double the time of the course?
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰

There is a difference, but it's easy to overstate how great the difference is. ACCA does go out of its way to present itself as a generalist, qualification with a broad scope. CIMA is almost entirely for accountants working in commerce and industry (but also public sector organisations), rather than in an accounting practice or for audit.
    well im doing ACCA...but rather do CIMA......would it be any good if i did ACCA then CIMA or would i be wasting my time doing CIMA ?

I can't see the value in doing both.
  • mark130273
    cool.....as one of my clients he is willing to pay for me to go through ACCA but then his thoughts is to put me into doing a MBA !!!and another one was to do ATT !!! gee wizz by the time im finished learning it will take my 20 minutes to write my name with all those initials after it !!
  • turbo_sammie
    turbo_sammie Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor โญ
    So what influences your decision as to whether you study ACCA or CIMA? I'm just trying to work out what I want to do at the end of my AAT qualification but I'm getting confused by people saying "ACCA is better" "no, CIMA is better" without stating the reasons why!!!
  • mark130273
    it all depends on what you are willing go into after you have studied, as if you are willing to going into a practice to do peoples accounts then the ACCA would be more suited but if you want to go and do advisment to big firms on accounts and management of accounts then CIMA is a better course for yu, so overall it depends on which way you wish to go after you have passed the chartered course. Not saying that CIMA is no good in a practice but 99% of practices would prefer ACCA over CIMA !
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    ACCA and CIMA are the tip of iceburg. Don't forget CIPFA, ICAEW (ACA) and ICAS (CA).

Chartered Accountancy is alphabet soup. It's a bit of a joke really.

Visit each institutes' website. Look at the syllabi, career case studies and requirements (such as training contracts in the case of ICAEW and ICAS) then choose which one you look the look of most.
  • mark130273
    too true therei s more than just to two fo them ........
Privacy Policy