Good shows to see?

LondonMatt
LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
It's my mum's birthday soon, and I was thinking about getting her tickets to a musical or a live show - she loves them. Anyone recommend a good one?

I don't have a clue about musicals...

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It's my mum's birthday soon, and I was thinking about getting her tickets to a musical or a live show - she loves them. Anyone recommend a good one?

I don't have a clue about musicals...

where abouts would you be going?
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    nope.............none of them are any good..........

not my cup of tea....
  • turbo_sammie
    turbo_sammie Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor โญ
    I saw Jersey Boys about 6 months ago and it was really good. I took my boyfriends mum (she's 64) so if you're mum's in that age range then she's bound to love it. Or maybe go for We Will Rock You. Everyone I know agrees that it's the best show they've ever seen.
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A-Vic - Anywhere in London

Jersey Boys sounds good, but I'm not sure she hasn't seen it already...I have to have a think
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I saw Hairspray when my cousin, Melbourne Anne, came over on holiday. Nicholas Ball was brilliant and now I think Brian Connolly is going to take over.

I liked it, and whats more there is a brilliant fish and chip shop quite close for those after theatre refreshments.

Check out c2c-online.co.uk for 2 for 1 offers. I think Stomp are included, and I fancy that show.

(Er as we are related in a cybernetic way, I think you should take me too. I wont be much trouble, and I hardly dribble now.....well only a bit)
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Well, other than the Rocky Horror Show (seen it around about 90 times live) I recently saw The Naked Truth.

It was very funny as well as being very moving. The theatre had a mix of ages (although mainly female), but it was really entertaining.

If I describe it here you'll probably think no way, (although it does have Abi Titmuss pole dancing in it) but google it as it gets a great review wherever it goes.

Oops, looks like it's not touring at the moment. Best get your fishnets out and see Rocky Horror instead!
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Well, other than the Rocky Horror Show (seen it around about 90 times live) I recently saw The Naked Truth.

It was very funny as well as being very moving. The theatre had a mix of ages (although mainly female), but it was really entertaining.

If I describe it here you'll probably think no way, (although it does have Abi Titmuss pole dancing in it) but google it as it gets a great review wherever it goes.

Oops, looks like it's not touring at the moment. Best get your fishnets out and see Rocky Horror instead!

I wanna see Rocky horror. Bet that's excellent!!

My girlfrined took me to see we will rock you and she wasn't even a fan of queen, she absolutely loved it ! Highly recommended...

Dirty dancing was good (and that's comin' from a bloke.lol)

You've just missed out on the blue man group (so did I...damn it) check 'em out on youtube !!

Also check out Wicked . The story of the wicked witch in the wizard of Oz.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hey Matt

Heres a link for whats on at the momment:-

http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/londontheatre/whatson/index.htm

The choices i would go to is either wicked or billy elliot was ment to go see wicked myself last year but was taken ill the reviews have been brill for it, but am off to watch we will rock you on saturday so i will let you know what its like.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Avenue Q looks like fun to me. As a big Sondheim fan, A Little Night Music would have been my first choice but that closes this week.

I'd rather cut my ears off with a pair of rusty scissors than sit through an evening of Queen songs.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Well, it might be old but it's still good so how about "Phantom..." if she hasn't already seen it (and even if she has, well worth seeing again)? A classic story that everyone knows with a legendary musical score and excellent special effects. Nearly twenty years since I first saw it, JFC.
  • nakeyj
    nakeyj Registered Posts: 23 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Taking my girlfriend to see The Lion King on Friday, hope it's good!! Anyone seen it?
  • Beautiful_bobo
    Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi I have seen the lion king three times and I thought it was wonderful. I woulkd definately see it again.

Hope you have a good time.
  • Pigpen
    Pigpen Registered Posts: 331 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Lion King is amazing (saw it on broadway )

Saw Oliver in May which was really good but there is a new fagin now )no longer Rowan Atkinson)
  • Chris023
    Chris023 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor โญ
    If you have the time a good cheap way of seeing some shows is to purchase day tickets.

Some theatres in London will sell the whole front row for ยฃ25 on the day of the performance.

Only thing is this will mean queing outside the theatre early and you are limited to two tickets per person.

As far as I know shows which currently do this are:

Grease
    Hairspray
    Sister Act
    Wicked
    Billy Elliot

Its a gd feeling when you turn around in your seat and the person behind you has paid ยฃ60+ quid for their seat
Privacy Policy