Tips on not looking desparate at interview please!

Options
columbia
columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi

Any advice on helping me to bag the job I have an interview for tomorrow please would be great!

I was made redundant at the end of April. I need part time work to fit around the children. I have had interviews and got to the last couple of candidates. I lost out on 3 because I have no CIS experience.

I was offered a 2nd interview for one last week, then told it was changing to a full time post. I heard back from another one at the weekend which had changed from a 9.30 -1.30 a day job to 9-5.30 (which I cannot do).

I have 25 hours (a month) self-employed work at the moment, but need to earn much more. The interview is for a job that is very local, with child friendly hours and I could do it standing on my head!!

I am getting anxious, and probably seem a bit desparate now (I am sure they will sense it). What tips can you guys give to help me to get the job?

And what do you say when they ask you for your weaknesses - I don't want to say something pathetic!!!

Cheers guys I know you can help! :thumbup1:

Trace

Comments

• farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    columbia wrote: Β»
    Hi

Any advice on helping me to bag the job I have an interview for tomorrow please would be great!

I was made redundant at the end of April. I need part time work to fit around the children. I have had interviews and got to the last couple of candidates. I lost out on 3 because I have no CIS experience.

I was offered a 2nd interview for one last week, then told it was changing to a full time post. I heard back from another one at the weekend which had changed from a 9.30 -1.30 a day job to 9-5.30 (which I cannot do).

I have 25 hours (a month) self-employed work at the moment, but need to earn much more. The interview is for a job that is very local, with child friendly hours and I could do it standing on my head!!

I am getting anxious, and probably seem a bit desparate now (I am sure they will sense it). What tips can you guys give to help me to get the job?

And what do you say when they ask you for your weaknesses - I don't want to say something pathetic!!!

Cheers guys I know you can help! :thumbup1:

Trace

You only have 1 weakness, you don't know as much about CIS as you would like. And that shouldn't be considered a weakness, more a challenge.
    You need to go in with a positive attitude, they need you as much, if not more, than you need them.
    Don't forget that an interview is a two way process. You need to interview them to see if you really do want to work for them.
    Do your research, online if you can, and prepare a list of questions to take with you. Let them see that you have that list and tick things off as they cover them. If they don't answer all your questions, then you can ask at the end of the interview.
    Because they can't see your work they will go on their impressions at the interview. Be Positive, be prepared and be confident.
    Good luck tomorrow and I'm sure everyone on here will be rooting for you.:thumbup1:

Kind regards
    Peter
  • columbia
    Options
    Thanks FG!!! :thumbup1:

You always give sound advice!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    yes, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Tracy
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Very best of luck Columbia, we're rooting for you.
  • columbia
    Options
    Cheers Guys

Fingers crossed I'll survive this one! I'm on holiday from Friday so hoping to get a good news phone call whilst we're away!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Good news Tracy!

Pretty much what the others have written on here but I'd just add to try and use the same language as the interviewer where you can. At the interview for my current job last year, I half deliberately/half accidentally spoke quite colloquially then apologised for it, saying it was a 'weakness' of mine as I'm a northerner living in the south! The interviewer laughed, said it was okay it and this kinda broke the ice as he then spoke informally by return. We got on like a house on fire (what exactly does that mean, btw?) from that point on.

Best wishes and fingers crossed for tomorrow!
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Good luck :thumbup:
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow.

Agree with FG,
    You only have 1 weakness, you don't know as much about CIS as you would like. And that shouldn't be considered a weakness, more a challenge.
    - always try to turn a "weakness" round, so they see that you don't see it as a problem, just something you are able to overcome.

Try to relax - and SMILE - let your personality shine through. My present employer said I got the job over another candidate because they thought I would fit into the office better!

Hope you have good news soon.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Good luck Tracy. I hope all goes well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Steve
  • columbia
    Options
    Cheers Guys!!!

Gonna have an early night now so I don't look like a haggard wreck tomorrow!!!

I'll let you know how it went.......

ps Thanks Robert and Jan for the extra advice I will bear it all in mind! I will also slow my talking down a bit as I am a terrible chatter box and I talk very quickly!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Good luck :)
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Fingers crossed for you tracy let us know how you got on :001_smile:
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Best of luck from me as well. Hope it goes well and you get good news soon.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Sending positive vibes your way for today
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Good Luck:001_wub:
  • columbia
    Options
    Cheers Guys

Well I've had the interview. Seemed to go well. They are using Quickbooks and a bespoke package. I'm used to Sage but sure most packages are similar. I could do everything they asked but you never know exactly what else they are looking for do you?

They gave me a questionaire to fill out, which the boss said he liked my answers to, only bit I didn't like was having to say what I would work for. I always think that's a nasty question as you either price yourself out the market, or you put a lower amount and they think ha, ha we would have paid more! I just told them what I used to be on and that I wanted (ideally) to be paid a similar hourly rate.

Only downside is the hours aren't quite as child friendly as they said, they are 12-5 so I would need afterschool childcare if I got it, but it is out of my hands now, so I will go on holiday tomorrow and try and forget about it!

Thanks for your encouragement, and if I don't get this one, I will try and stay positive for the next one!

Cheers

Trace
  • farmergiles
    Options
    By the sound of it, you did your best. The rest is in the laps of the Gods. Maybe we need to make a sacrifice to the god of wine and slurp a bottle or two for you....lol
    Enjoy your holiday and don't worry about the job now until you get back.
    Then you can go hell for leather into panic mode....lol
  • columbia
    Options
    Cheers FG,

Your last comment is very me, you obviously know me too well!!! :001_tt2:

ps Butlins watch out the Lewis' are on the way!!!!!! :lol:
  • farmergiles
    Options
    columbia wrote: Β»
    Cheers FG,

Your last comment is very me, you obviously know me too well!!! :001_tt2:

ps Butlins watch out the Lewis' are on the way!!!!!! :lol:

:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::lol::lol::lol:
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Have a great holiday Columbia, & I hope you get a result.x
  • columbia
    Options
    Cheers Andy

This is me signing off for a week, I hope I don't miss too much gossip!!!

Take care all!
    x
  • farmergiles
    Options
    Enjoy yourself and don't do anything we wouldn't do...lol
Privacy Policy