Sage !

Sevren
Sevren Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hello - I have finally had to bite the bullet and get to grips with Sage. I am a diehard QB fan, but too many accountants are telling our mutual clients that Sage is the better package.......

Whilst not wishing to open that old can of worms, I have had a look at the range of software and presume that Sage 50 Accounts 2009 is the one to go for to manage a company with turnover to £5M ?

Can anybody familiar with QB and Sage give me any indication of how much of a learning curve this is going to be ?

Also, one of the reasons that I use QB is to make use of the import facility - how well does this work with Sage - mainly for things like sales invoices etc.

Many thanks

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    We have just updated our sage here and use the instant accounts but part of the package there is an elearning application to take you through how to use it and i think once you start its fine and wont take long to learn
  • Sevren
    Many thanks for that - I have just spoken to Sage and it would seem that the entry level package with foreign currency for a single company, single user is over £1K !!:ohmy:

I nearly fell off my chair !

The equivelent for QB (Pro 2006) is a fraction of that.

One tip though for others, if you tell them that you are moving from QB they will give you 25% discount !
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi

When you spoke to Sage did you tell them you are an Accountant/Bookkeeper in Practice? You will get a much better deal if you do. I am using Sage Client Manager which is the equivalent of Accounts Professional and for a 50 Company Licence it costs me around £400 plus VAT a year.

Let me know if you want the details of my Sage Accounts Manager.

Sue
  • Sevren
    Yes please Sue - I did go down that route but it was still over £1K !

Very many thanks
  • Sue
    I have sent you a Private Message with the Sage Contact Details.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I'm in a similar situation - I love QBs but recently I've picked up a few clients using sage. Luckily I've not had to buy the software for myself yet, but I still find sage very frustrating! Or maybe I'm doing it wrong, I keep thinking that it can't be as bad as I make it out to be because so many people swear by it, but I just can't get it to do half of the things QBs does. I've tried reading books on it but they don't help - might try signing up for evening classes!
    Good luck with it & if you feel like you're making progress please give me a few tips!
  • Angela566
    Angela566 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    When you spoke to Sage did you tell them you are an Accountant/Bookkeeper in Practice? You will get a much better deal if you do. I am using Sage Client Manager which is the equivalent of Accounts Professional and for a 50 Company Licence it costs me around £400 plus VAT a year.

Let me know if you want the details of my Sage Accounts Manager.

Hi Sue

Could you please supply me with the account manager details too. Thanks.
  • Sue
    Sage Contact

Hi Angela

I have sent you a Private Message with the details.

Sue
  • Sevren
    Very many thanks for your replies.

I will let you know how I got on Jodie - but I am getting a bad feeling about it...........

On the upside, the previous accountant completely oversold the licences required so I have been able to avoid paying out !

For the minute.
  • Angela566
    Angela566 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks for that Sue and thanks for trying!
  • micklynch
    micklynch Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Well guys I will be sticking with QBs! If I take on a new client who is using Sage I always try to get them to change to QBs and so far all the clients I have done this for are very happy after the changeover.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I've only used Sage, so I have no comparison, but what I will say is its expensive!

Theres been other threads were people have discussed alternatives which have been said to be cheaper and better. Maybe worth having a look round before deciding?
  • Sevren
    Well, whilst not wishing to turn this into a soap opera, I am 4 hours into the tutorials and general dabbling and to be honest it is not a huge learning curve if you are used to QB - but I agree with Jodie - no matter how much you double click on entries seeing the original source 'document' seems impossible - but that may be me so the jury is still out.

One thing I would be greatful for though is if somebody can tell me how I enter a suppliers invoice in $. No I don't want to use the naff currency converter by pressing F5 - I have no idea how people are managing exchange rate fluctuations by doing that !

What I want to do is enter an invoice for say $500 and it stay in that currency (although I appreciate that it gets converted to £ for accounting purposes).

Help would be much appreciated.

PS Mick, I am staying positive and reserving judgement - but somtimes customers are reluctant to change when they have just been fleeced for the best part of £6K for a multiuser license........
  • Sevren
    Oh dear - ignore last post - I think there has been some further misselling going on, contrary to purchase invoice, this isn't Sage 50 professional - it's just the standard !!!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Sevren wrote: »
    Well, whilst not wishing to turn this into a soap opera, I am 4 hours into the tutorials and general dabbling and to be honest it is not a huge learning curve if you are used to QB - but I agree with Jodie - no matter how much you double click on entries seeing the original source 'document' seems impossible - but that may be me so the jury is still out.

if I understand you right, find the URN number on the purchase ledger or wherever you are and then look for it in financials, you'll then be able to see all related entries.
Privacy Policy