Basic Maths

Comments

• jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I have too Jilt.......oh my they are big.....and old, lol. Are you sure they still used them in the 70's? What are all the buttons for? There is definately more than a qwerty and a number keypad on there! Was it for all that fraction malarky that was "back in the day"?

Thank goodness for decimal I say!:lol:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    jilt wrote: ยป
    I'm no spring chicken but what the hell are Burroughs machines?
    William Seward Burroughs inventor of the Burroughs Adding Machine was the grandfather of William S. Burroughs the novelist, who in addition to his many fine novels produced a collection of essays entitled The Adding Machine.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    I'm rubbish at maths full stop lol

didnt even know the was a full stop in maths ?
  • jow774
    Thats very intellectual!

I cant do sums and cant do intellect either, I should be a poster advert for GCSE's!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    didnt even know the was a full stop in maths ?

:lol:
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    The pictures you are looking at are the addding machines - the rows of buttons were for each amount so for say ยฃ1000 you'd hit the 4th 1 on the row instead of 1,0,0,0. If you wanted to enter ยฃ1005 it would be 4th 1 and 1st 5, and if you pressed the 5 slightly harder it would add it in, saved pulling the handle! You could get up quite a speed once you got used to it.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    'The Burroughs large systems machines starting with the B5000 in 1961'

:ohmy: I'm as old as the large ones :crying:
  • Jan
    Try this link for the first "computer" i ever worked on, way back in 1976!

http://www.acbm.com/inedits/images/musee-unisys/burroughs-tc500.jpg

I remember it was a TC 500, as I called it Top Cat. (A cartoon about an alley cat at the time).

My part of the office wasn't much better, underneath a sky light that leaked if it rained heavily. H&S what H&S?
  • mark130273
    im quite glad i wasnt around when these Borrough machine were.....they dont sounds like too much fun to me !
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    :lol:

Go on I give in............................:lol::lol:

It's Fizzy, It's Ginger, It's Phenomenal

Is it Fanta?
  • mark130273
    Jan wrote: ยป

I remember it was a TC 500, as I called it Top Cat. (A cartoon about an alley cat at the timr)

that looks well funky.....the first one i ever had was a dragon 32 !!!!and i thought that was old !....hey and ive still got it up in my mums loft !
  • jow774

I remember it was a TC 500, as I called it Top Cat. (A cartoon about an alley cat at the time).

My part of the office wasn't much better, underneath a sky light that leaked if it rained heavilty. H&S what H&S?

Now, Im older than that, suddenly its not so funny anymore! :lol:
  • AK002
    Go on I give in............................:lol::lol:

It's Fizzy, It's Ginger, It's Phenomenal

Is it Fanta?

LOL! I do hope you are joking :)?

Although you may not get the adverts in England(?)
  • Diannew
    LOL! I do hope you are joking :)?

Although you may not get the adverts in England(?)

No I wasn't joking...this sounds interesting.............if it is not Fanta?

Come on spill the beans...........................but be careful in that suit:lol::lol:
  • mark130273
    think the beans have already been spilt in that suit !
  • jilt
    Try this link for the first "computer" I ever worked on, way back in 1976! QUOTE]

Wow, that looks suspiciously like a machine I used when I was on a Youth Opportunites Scheme back in 1979, I seem to remember my trainer referred to it as an accounting machine.

That was my first introduction to accounts but she confused matters by calling the nominal ledger a cost ledger. I remember going for jobs afterwards and the interviewers didn't have a clue what I was talking about :lol:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Going back to the topic while the oldies go off on their tangents (!), although my mental arithmatic isn't too bad, I do even the most basic sums on a calculator. Why should I spend time trying to subtract 232 from 967 in my head when I've got a calculator next to me? Calculators exist. And if there was ever a world without them, I don't think the lack of a calculator should be foremost in our minds.
  • Jan
    Slightly back to the op - I was about to say I can't remember ledgers coming into it, but then I remembered the old ledger cards we used to do at the end of the day. You had to manually take away one figure from the next when they were side by side and then next day when you got the reports back from the computer centre check that they agreed. If they didn't you had to find out why & correct it.

When we got a new computer system in the the 1980's some branches didn't balance for weeks!

Enough of this - I'll have to get back to some work.
  • jilt
    Going back to the topic while the oldies go off on their tangents (!),

Er, we'll have less of the oldies, you've only got 6 years on me :laugh:
  • CJC
    Enough of this - I'll have to get back to some work.
    Put a pound in the swear box!
  • Jan
    Think I'd better put ยฃ2 in - I'm supposed to be on a busman's holiday, catching up on all hubbies bookkeeping I haven't done!
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i still have my first calculator , it was a scientific one which my mum got me when i was 11 attending the BIG school . it was great and of cause we all loved doing the 55378008 and 71077345 on the calcs too !!!or was that just me ?

I laughed when I read this. We used to do that number thing on the calculator too!:laugh: I forgot all about it! It was 4517734 (had to type it on calculator to remember) I didnt know the 55378008 one you put but typed it in also and realised that was probably boy code at school!:laugh:
  • Jan
    Ok, hands up who grabbed their calculators at this point?
  • jilt
    Ok, hands up who grabbed their calculators at this point?

Gulity as charged :blushing::lol::lol:
  • mark130273
    I laughed when I read this. We used to do that number thing on the calculator too!:laugh: I forgot all about it! It was 4517734 (had to type it on calculator to remember) I didnt know the 55378008 one you put but typed it in also and realised that was probably boy code at school!:laugh:

cant belive that someone hadnt done the 55378008 one........

and i was wondering if anyone had grabbed their calc and tried typing on there first !
  • jow774
    I remember my "big school" calculator had hexadecimals on it, so that opened up a whole new world of naughty numbers (in a 13 year olds eyes anyway), lol.:lol:
  • AK002
    No I wasn't joking...this sounds interesting.............if it is not Fanta?

Come on spill the beans...........................but be careful in that suit:lol::lol:

Good Scottish drink - Irn Bru :)!
    think the beans have already been spilt in that suit !

:lol::lol:
  • CJC
    No idea if it's still there, but there used to be a big illuminated Irn Bru sign atop Glasgow Central Station. I lived near there and it used to be a very handy guide home after a few pints of 80/-
  • Diannew
    Good Scottish drink - Irn Bru :)!

:lol::lol:

Duh! should have got that........I thought it was refering to you..and that you had red hair..............never mind.......i'll live to fight another fun packed day:lol::lol:
  • AK002
    LOL nope no ginger hair here :P
Privacy Policy