reduced advertising with Yell

Options
lorraine
lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I have just read that you get reduced advertising with yellow pages, does this include Yell.com as I would prefer to have something like a sponsored link on there. Has anyone used the discount for Yell. com? :blushing:

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I have just read that you get reduced advertising with yellow pages, does this include Yell.com as I would prefer to have something like a sponsored link on there. Has anyone used the discount for Yell. com? :blushing:

If you got on BT.Com there is a free web page advertising
  • Sevren
    Sevren Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I would imagine that the whole concept of yellow pages and yell.com is just about dead with google and the numerous other directories on line ?

I have advertised with both the book and yell.com in the past with very little success beyond what I got with the free oneliner.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    so what do you reckon is the best way of advertising the business then ?
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    When my other half began to work for himself (not accounts related) he was advised not to advise with Yell. as he'd only end up spending more time pricing jobs and chasing money for the jobs he did get than actually earning.

Don't know if applies any self employed person, but we found a small ad in a local advertiser each month and word of month works for us. The most calls he got when he started were from charities wanting donations! We keep the ads up just so people know we are still here and if someone recommends him they can say to look in the advertiser -its delivered to every household in the area.
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I think I will forget about Yell, they are really expensive as well, but wasn't sure what the AAT discount was and thought I would see what you thought to save me wasting my time. Thanks for your replies. I have already posted my details on various free online directories, and have had a few enquiries, I would definitely say they are a good option and don't cost anything.:thumbup1:
  • Sevren
    Options
    Mark - to get a web presence then I think it is a case of getting a good website (probably cost the same as an advert in Yell) well optimised for a search engine so when somebody googles it you have a fighting chance of it coming up.

That said - I have found that 90% of the work that I have gained is from word or mouth. To get through the initial catch 22 I basically worked for next to nothing to build a reputation up.

Business networking events can be good if you are into that sort of thing - my social skills don't quite stretch that far though....

It ain't easy and takes a long time......
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    thanks for that. im currently trying to get a list together of networking poeople to start a new work group in the wirral area. i know there is couple of ones which currently run but if i decide to run them myself then this will actually bring in a small wages also as having the advantage of getting my name to the people too ?
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend running your own unless you have been to a variety of different events and are completely comfortable with what does and doesn't work. You will spend more time ringing round getting people to join than is worth it, particularly when you have your own business to promote too.
  • Sevren
    Options
    I struggle with them because I can't do the small talk without feeling a bit 'fake' ! - maybe it's part of my only child syndrome.

I would wager that speed dating wouldn't be my trip either.....

One think to think about though Mark, the ones I have been to have consisted of a room of 100 people selling but nobody actually there to buy anything.......(networking - not speed dating.......:001_tt1:)
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    one of our local radio stations now host networking days if thats your bag - maybe some in your areas do as well?
  • clearaccounting100
    clearaccounting100 Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    if you can get over the initial OMG everyone is looking at me syndrome, networking is really good. i go to a local one in Shrewsbury where you spend 5mins talking about your business then you have time to mingle and then they do sponsered speakers, that whilst promoting their own business do pass on some invaluable advise. I have been to about 7 meetings now and i have picked up 1 client and made a couple of good contacts. PS i still get nervous when i stand up in front of people, but so do a lot of the other people there. It does get easier each time tho. :thumbup1:
Privacy Policy