Starting Studying for December exams

Portsmouth_AAT
Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor โญ
Is it just me?

But after my results yeaterday I am still buzzing and with only DFS left to go to complete the AAT Im considering getting the books out already!!! :confused1:
ยซ1

Comments

• mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    wow you are very keen !
  • katielou
    katielou Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor โญ
    The sooner you start the better chance you will give yourself, im guna fish mine out of the loft when i get home, give them a dusting down and get stuck into them!!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    My courses start back in 2 weeks!
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor โญ
    I started DFS last Sept and it was awful, and personal reasons lead to me defering it, so now I am ready to get in and learn it early meaning I can revise till my hearts content. I have the books from last year and have spoke to the college to get this years as they may be changing to another type. I wont be attending college tho, just for revision so its me and DFS alone!!!

Its the last challenge before i get MAAT so cant fail now!!! :thumbup:
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Books already out and studying for December !! I passed the IAC (foundation) and now on the intermediate. I prefer to keep the tempo up with my studying, as I have in the passed sat back a bit and found myself further behind !!

Just keep on going !!! LoL
  • Luflux
    Luflux Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor โญ
    I think i will follow suit, esp. as we all good know revision is the key to success!
  • AK002
    steveJ wrote: ยป
    Books already out and studying for December !! I passed the IAC (foundation) and now on the intermediate. I prefer to keep the tempo up with my studying, as I have in the passed sat back a bit and found myself further behind !!

Just keep on going !!! LoL

You going to do both exams in December?
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I'm studying for my cashflow skills test today, hope to take it next week, I have also been studying towards PEV.

I decided not to take the PEV exam in June as I wasn't prepared enough, so the plan is to study hard over the next 3 weeks so that I am confident enough to take the exam in Dec, then that will free up time to study PTC from Sep-Dec at college.

Then (fingers and toes crossed) I will be finished!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    My courses start back in 2 weeks!

Same as cant wait :001_smile:
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I received my technician pack the day after my ECR exam, how sad is that!
    I've done all the assignments for PEV and PCR and now just have to revise for Dec exams.
  • jmoles
    jmoles Registered Posts: 1 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    First Timer

:001_smile:

I am quite worried about studying for the unit 31 exam, there is so many formulas etc to remember, has anyone got any tips?? Also does not help the fact that you have to get all the questions correct to get a pass, no room for error, no pressure then!!

newby moles::001_unsure:
  • mark130273
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Same as cant wait :001_smile:

and same here too.......but mine not AAT its ACCA !!! ohhh no ??:huh:
  • neuroticprincess
    neuroticprincess Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor โญ
    I'm studying for my cashflow skills test today, hope to take it next week, I have also been studying towards PEV.

Oh you poor thing!! I've just looked at my statement of achievement and am over the moon my cash management has been signed off it was the worst topic ever!! and it means I've completed intermediate!! yaaaayy! off to enrol tonight and am already well over half way through my project... I just have no social life so carry on studying over the summer!! haha! x
  • columbia
    Thanks NP

Most assuring!!!! You should have just typed nah, nah, na, nah, nah!!! :lol:

Only joking, I actually rather like the subject.

ps my statement of achievemet shows the project as being completed!!
  • mark130273
    well np at least you are tryign to get your project on the way as we didnt get started on ours till mid january. so by the tim we had done the first draft it was only about 5 weeks before our last two exam ......not easy studying for them and doing a project....so glad i got through it as found out that only about 60% got through this year in stead of the normal 80+%
  • neuroticprincess
    neuroticprincess Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor โญ
    Thanks NP

Most assuring!!!! You should have just typed nah, nah, na, nah, nah!!! :lol:

Only joking, I actually rather like the subject.

ps my statement of achievemet shows the project as being completed!!

haha sorry :blushing: lol I think its the fact we had the worlds worst tutor for that module and it made it very difficult!!!

So is 3rd year a lot harder again if only 60% ish are passing?? I found 2nd year was a big step up from 1st year, is it about the same again or does it get a lot more difficult?

x
  • columbia
    I was only joking!!!

I enjoy the financial topics more, my weaknesses are management accounts - however to my shock I passed PCR in June.

I found DFS very straightforward once you get used to what is expected it is quite a logical topic, and the ratios can cross over to the management accounts.

The last year obviously is a step up, but so long as you keep on top of it, and make sure that you study at home as well as college then it should be fine.

Once you have the basics, start downloading the papers so you can see how everything ties in to the exam papers, that might give you a better understanding of the topics. I don't mean to learn by rote as that is not a good idea, but I found that sometimes when I struggled if I looked at how it was supposed to be done from the exam papers, then I could work backwards and understand it better.

As for only 60% passing - I don't know if that is true or not, certainly from the postings on here it seems that more people passed than failed, so I wouldn't let that be a concern. The DFS paper was similar to past papers, PCR was a bit different, but I preferred it.

Try and learn an IFRS a week for DFS as there are a lot, and I also applied a management accounting formula each week. Doesn't sound much but again there are a lot to learn so best to be prepared and know them all in detail, than cram them all in at the last minute and fail.

All the best with your studies!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Oh you poor thing!! I've just looked at my statement of achievement and am over the moon my cash management has been signed off it was the worst topic ever!! and it means I've completed intermediate!! yaaaayy! off to enrol tonight and am already well over half way through my project... I just have no social life so carry on studying over the summer!! haha! x

I know exactly what you mean i hated this unit and not sure why but mine will show the same as i had it signed off back in april thank gawd
  • AK002
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    I know exactly what you mean i hated this unit and not sure why but mine will show the same as i had it signed off back in april thank gawd

I've still to do it :(
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I found 2nd year was a big step up from 1st year, is it about the same again or does it get a lot more difficult?
    x
    The workload is certainly greater but as for difficulty I think it varies from unit to unit and person to person. For my own part, it broke down like this

DFS - not really much harder than FRA. For the most part it's essentially a matter of practice and learning the mechanics, then there's a few IFRSs to learn and some financial ratios, the latter should be familiar from CMCC.

PTC- a fair bit to remember but again it's all pretty mechanical and mostly a matter of practice

PCR - I found this the easiest of the lot but then I'm pretty comfortable with budgets.

PEV - Eek. Horrible, lots of formulae to remember and you actually have to think. Textbooks (Osborne and BPP anyway) were pretty poor here too which didn't help. For me the hardest unit of all and I was lucky to sit a very straightforward exam paper.

Your mileage, as they say, may vary.
  • AK002
    Great!!!

I'm doing PCR and PEV in December.. better get my finger out then!
  • mark130273
    Great!!!

I'm doing PCR and PEV in December.. better get my finger out then!

maybe you should then.........but if you study hard you be ok !
  • AK002
    How did you find them?
  • mark130273
    How did you find them?

well have to say all the exams have taken me less than 1 1/2 hour each.....so have to say found them all easyish....but im not taking the ACCA ones as easy ....going to make sure im going to study every chance i get....so dont think i be on here every day posting for no reason ?:001_tt2:
  • AK002
    LOL the forum will go into melt-down if you're no around to keep it afloat!
  • mark130273
    LOL the forum will go into melt-down if you're no around to keep it afloat!

well im sure i come on from now and again .amking sure that your name is not last ???:001_tt2:
  • AK002
    well im sure i come on from now and again .amking sure that your name is not last ???:001_tt2:

Hmm..

You do realise you have 2 weeks of A-vic free catch up don't you?
  • mark130273
    Hmm..

You do realise you have 2 weeks of A-vic free catch up don't you?

well if you didnt reply to mine then i wouldnt reply to yours .but i know ive got two weeks of free posting .and im gonig to make the most of it ?!??!?!?!!:mad2:
  • AK002
    I'm just replying to all threads..

I like to think i'm being helpfull.
  • mark130273
    I'm just replying to all threads..

I like to think i'm being helpfull.

yeh you are and surely others must see this and just think "idiots"
Privacy Policy