Reference Books - for work

Jenny Chamberlain
Jenny Chamberlain Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
I have been AAT qualified for a few years now and have one exam left on ACCA. However my role at work now involves a lot less supervision and although I have a number of books from my exams, could somebody please help me with suitable reference books for work.

I work in the property industry and have to run the payroll, which is completely new to me. I also have a lot more book keeping than I have ever been involved with, four manual cash books a lot of inter company transactions and Pegasus (Opera) as our accounts package. I also have to deal with the partial exemption and VAT returns.

There are so many different books on the market and some of them are really quite costly so any assistance would be helpful

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I generally find Tolley's manuals to be the best. Their VAT manual is expensive but extremely detailed. Tottel publish a much cheaper range but you pay for what you get!
  • elging
    elging Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Payroll Info

For the cheapest (ie nothing!) and most up to date info, personally I would set aside half a day and download/register on the government gateway, both PAYE and VAT. Download the base info booklets for both subjects and for payroll the whole of 480 Expenses (nearly 100 pages) print it off and stick in a ring binder - vv useful for the P11ds.

Tolleys are great but way too much money and the whole point of being in business is to make a profit.:cool2:
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Personally, I would trust very little of what is on HMRC's website. Although referring inspectors to their own manuals can be very gratifying.

The payroll stuff is good but you are not going to come across too many areas of contention there. The real tricky stuff is usually VAT related and HMRC's guidance in that area is pretty poor.

Oh, and as for printing off swathes of online manuals when they are er.. online, seems a little wasteful.
  • Jmann
    Jmann Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    I generally find Tolley's manuals to be the best. Their VAT manual is expensive but extremely detailed. Tottel publish a much cheaper range but you pay for what you get!

Is the book called Tolley's Value Added Tax - YYYY ?

Would you know how this book differs from FL Memo - VAT?

Thanks for you time.

John
Privacy Policy