Distance Learning

zhulme
zhulme Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello everyone i am in need of some advice from anyone who has studied the advanced certificate by distance learning. I am considering studying with kaplan financial after a very poor experience at college and just wondered how you found it as the past papers that i have looked at look very tedious! i would gratefully appreciate any response. Thanks

Comments

• GreenMousey
    GreenMousey Registered Posts: 154 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I've just started intermediate with Kaplan after doing my foundation at college. I find them to be helpful and the books are fantastic, I'm about half way through unit 5 and I've not had any problems other than trying to remember everything!
    I got the study notes too so it saves me having to do my own "reminder cards." I'm aiming to do the exams FRA and ECR in December, so I'll be right there with you if you decide to go for it.

Good luck!

Mouse x
  • zhulme
    zhulme Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Have you heard any reports on eagle? there seems to be a lot of people studying with them also ive only just heard about them. Its gonna cost about 570 at kaplan because ive already done unit 31 did you find any hidden charges in that or are they pretty much "what they say on the tin"? thank you x
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi
    I'm studying with Kaplan for distance learning. Paying the full cost for the simulation units, which is around £140 from memory - you get book/study text, pocket notes, practice test and practice simulation, along with sitting the live simulation. For the exam based units (5&6) i just purchased Kaplan books and pocket notes and entered the exams with AAT. Saved quite a bit of money, and i still passed unit 5 & 6 first time this way in June 09. Kaplan always seem very helpful on the phone, and they are good at answering emails quickly. If you do sumbit practice tests or simulations please be aware that they have to have to reach them on a Wednesday, as this is the only day of the week that they go off to be marked. My first simulation Unit 15 i was not told this, so i wasted time as i missed the day they went off for marking (as I got it there for a Thursday) and it delays the results coming back for another week.
    Good luck
  • cs_1988
    cs_1988 Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Much more than 140, if not, i got took to the cleaners!
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Sorry it was £135 per unit - so even cheaper! If you buy the whole Advanced Certificate stage together, you receive a futher discount.
  • GreenMousey
    GreenMousey Registered Posts: 154 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    zhulme wrote: »
    Have you heard any reports on eagle? there seems to be a lot of people studying with them also ive only just heard about them. Its gonna cost about 570 at kaplan because ive already done unit 31 did you find any hidden charges in that or are they pretty much "what they say on the tin"? thank you x

I've not heard much about Eagle to be honest.
    My company paid £405 for the entire of Intermediate, which included all books, notes, simulations and tutor support (I'm doing NVQ route). There haven't been any hidden prices, just the exam fees and AAT membership fee on top of that but they were clear about that on the out set.

Mouse x
  • hztm
    hztm Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi,
    I signed up with Eagle a few weeks ago. It cost about £650 for the complete Diploma Intermediate level (including Unit 31 and Sage, etc). They supply the osbourne books and their own 'study buddy' manuals which you use alongside the books. I have only just started but it all seems extremely good. They also offer a student moodle site with video courses to back up the course content. They shipped the next day, my tutor rang to introduce herself and work out a study plan. As I say, I have only just started and cannot comment on how good they will be going forward, but I am really impressed so far.
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I started aat with kaplan at foundation level and they are ok but overall I am not imprest! Books are riddled with mistakes and likewise with class material. They appear to be pretty much money orrientated and customer service in my opinion is shambolic!! Email is slow if not non-existent. I would say if you look at them then the money you pay is for the private name and little else. I simply couldnt recommend them; but if its company money then its their choice not the student.

As a few people have noted; eagle seem to be popular. I registered with them monday and got my stuff yesterday (wednesday) even though they said it would take 3 days. They are pretty much unknown but I think they seem ok but the future will tell.

Martin
Privacy Policy