Comments

• MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    what provider is this with?

Martin
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    don't know if I can say it...

anyway it's very surprising how come distance learning students exceed the national (ie colleges?)
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor โญ
    Im even more supprised I passed MAC now!!! :001_smile:
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I'd like to know how they arrived at these percentages and what level of attritition there is. Did you notice Mac 46% national average!

My friend has been told by her local college that AAT are making colleges teach more hours (she cited the number of hours but I don't recall), for Diploma to get the pass rate up and that they have no choice but to run the course over two years.

Has anyone elese heard this?
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Home study students do homework, collegues it would appear do not.

I'm home study :001_tt2:

Colleges get homework, We do every lesson
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor โญ
    Home study students do homework, collegues it would appear do not.

I'm home study :001_tt2:

Im afraid i too attend college and get soooooooo much homework!! so thats that theory out the window!! I did pass tho :001_tongue:
  • reddwarf
    Well I stand 'curtly' corrected by another college - the AAT don't 'dictate' how long it takes for Technician/diploma it's entirely down to the college. :blushing:
  • messedup89
    Well I stand 'curtly' corrected by another college - the AAT don't 'dictate' how long it takes for Technician/diploma it's entirely down to the college. :blushing:

and the student, and the employer
  • reddwarf
    Hmm my experience of this being a democratic decision is not the same as yours!!!
  • messedup89
    some colleges say you can do it in 1 year, others 2. Some employers will only let u have so much time off for study each time, this therefore limits the amount of exams you can take at each sitting and therefore affects the time it takes to complete a level. And as for the student, its simply if the pass or fail determines how long it takes them :)
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I've often wondered how the distance learning training providers determine their results.

I studied with a well known provider, but sat my exams at a local college, so the exam venue code I entered on my exam paper was the college, not my training provider.

Therefore, would my results be reported with the training provider, or the college?
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Richard
    The normal way that results are fedback is through the registration college or provider. For this each student is only registered with one provider, and that provider's pass % is based on how many students registered passed divided by how many were entered.
    I teach PEV PCR and ECR at Chichester College, and at this time of year I will often have students from nearby colleges attending the PEV course in preparation for Dec (or Nov this year) they will typically want to take their exams earlier than there own registration college have timetabled. This will often mean that the actual number of students who have been in my class and have passed differ from the reported results, and nearby colleges could have statistics for students they did not teach.
    The point about distance learning students is a different one, unless AAT collect specific data based on the total number of students entering an exam who have studied using distance learning I don't know how they would know.

I wonder if the data quoted by Londina may actually be a comparison of AAT results with pass %s produced by the provider themself.
    I certainly do that sometimes based on my revision days. I know how many students attended, and if I find out the number who passed I can compare the pass rate for that class with the exam total pass rate. (Prior to the June 2009 exams, at least 3 revision days produced 100% pass rates, so you can understand that typically these rates are well above the exam pass rates)

You must bear in mind that my revision candidates have only had my class as an extra help, and are generally at college somewhere or studying with a distance learning provider, so despite very high success rates I cannot take all the credit.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    You must bear in mind that my revision candidates have only had my class as an extra help, and are generally at college somewhere or studying with a distance learning provider, so despite very high success rates I cannot take all the credit.

I think you should take a majority of it along with part of the rest of us that you've helped during the years!
  • reddwarf
    Thanks for that Sandy, puts these figures in perspective! Also agree with Bluewednesday above!
  • SandyHood
    reddwarf
    Just to let you know, 100% success for everyone who attended the revision day you came to.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Richard
    I wonder if the data quoted by Londina may actually be a comparison of AAT results with pass %s produced by the provider themself.

They were Provider's Distance Learning Diploma results in comparison to the AAT average
  • SandyHood
    I think that is the only way to do that sort of data.
    I could look at the Chichester College students data in just the same way as any provider can.

Those who passed divided by those who sat the exam.

AAT wouldn't necessarily have sufficient details to produce something like that.

I imagine we know to be wary with statistics, my question on distance learning would be how many of those who signed up were still around and attempted the exam? Quite often students will join a distance learning programme and drop-out before the end.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • reddwarf
    Actually I think the attrition percentage would be an interesting number - more indicative of the provider's efficacy!

Thanks for the info on the revision course Sandy - 100% can't be bad pass rate!!

Would you pass on congratulations if you can. ta!
Privacy Policy