AAT vs an Accountancy degree

Mathew_Hill
Mathew_Hill Registered Posts: 23 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi everyone

I have just completed my AAT studies and have been awarded the level 4.

However, today I met up with an old friend from school who told me she is currently doing an accountancy degree at Swansea university.

Therefore I was wondering what is the difference between an accountancy degree and the AAT qualification? Which one is deemed as the more useful/academic and could you call yourself an 'accountant' by passing a university degree and not doing the AAT?

Many thanks for any help

Matt

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    By all means, you can call yourself an accountant if you can do rudimentary accounts - and many do - but most people view professional accountants as chartered, certified or qualified by (extensive) practical experience (QBE).

As for AAT versus an accounting degree, I've heard several employers state that AAT is far,far,far preferable having usually been gained in conjunction with real world experience gained in a workplace environment as opposed to graduate knowledge mostly learned in the classroom.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    "Ditto" Blobby. I know PWC are fed up with Uni students with no experience & would much rather employ AAT people.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    As for AAT versus an accounting degree, I've heard several employers state that AAT is far,far,far preferable having usually been gained in conjunction with real world experience gained in a workplace environment as opposed to graduate knowledge mostly learned in the classroom.

I've heard the same.

Although I've often heard AAT placed in a similar level to degrees and chartered similar level to masters degrees. From a point of view of company salary grading systems.
  • Damo8604
    Damo8604 Registered Posts: 12 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I think AAT is held in higher regard as it is a vocational qualification, just by holding the technician qualification shows that you have the qualifications AND EXPERIENCE to carry out the job.

Academically, the degree is higher :mad2:I wanted to do a degree after finishing my AAT quals (maybe I was being insecure about my academia?) :blushing:

I did find it difficult to find a training provider to do a degree with, most AAT finalists go onto ACCA/CIMA and realistically, this is the right thing to do...... But I still wanted the kudos of having a degree (I come from a family of degree holders, I'm the only one not holding one! I joined the army instead of college and uni):thumbdown:

Eventually I found Kaplan do a distance learning degree course, and they offer exemptions from the first year....................

Only now I think at 35 do I really want to spend all that time and money on something that won't benefit me professionally and even if I was awarded a degree conferred by the University of Essex, would it be held in any kind of regard by employers?? :001_unsure:

I've hijacked this thread slightly and I apologise!
  • garry_coombs
    garry_coombs Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Damo.. With ACCA you can get a degree on your way through by doing a big essay after the second level of exams, something to think about, two birds with 1 stone.

My college teacher says that he's had people come to AAT from uni and they haven't been able to cope, there is a bit of snobbery by people who dont really understand what AAT is tho i expect.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Damo.. With ACCA you can get a degree on your way through by doing a big essay after the second level of exams, something to think about, two birds with 1 stone.

My college teacher says that he's had people come to AAT from uni and they haven't been able to cope, there is a bit of snobbery by people who dont really understand what AAT is tho i expect.

Agreed, if you want a degree then this is probably the best route to take. Having a degree and being chartered is hard to beat!
  • Damo8604
    Hmmmm...................... I must admit, I did consider doing this however (and this might just be my father's snobbery) it is an Oxford Brooks degree! I agree, having a degree AND being chartered would be the pinnacle of my career but if the Oxford Brooks degree isn't really worth the paper it's printed on, should I just stick with ACCA or CIMA, but then if I'm bothering to do ACCA, I might as well do the assignment too, like Garry said, "killing two birds............"

.....................I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!:confused1:
  • cs_1988
    cs_1988 Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    To say an Oxford Brookes degrees arent worth anything, is a complete farse. They are given under the same standards and rules as every other uni in the country.

Personally, i will be getting a degree from them come the time!
  • Kat82
    Kat82 Registered Posts: 6 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I would say that AAT is probably more well know in the accounts world? But then again it depends on what company/employer you are dealing with? I would imagine that some people have not heard of AAT or may not straight away know what it is where as the majority of people know straight away what kind of level a degree is?!

When you mention the Oxford Brooks degree.....are you guys from near Oxford? I live about 10 miles from Oxford....:001_smile:
  • Damo8604
    I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone who has or is taking an Oxford Brooks degree!
Privacy Policy