A guide to Technician

AK002
AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
(Yes mark, a helpful/useful post :blushing:)

I thought Iโ€™d do a "small" guide to Technician stating units & optional units etc as a lot of people seem to be asking the same questions regarding units..

This is for the NVQ route

These units are Compulsory and must be done:

Unit 8 - PEV - Contributing to the Management of Performance & the Enhancement of Value - Exam

Unit 9 - PCR - Contributing to the Planning and Control of Resources - Exam
Note: Most people/colleges recommend sitting Unit 8 & 9 in the same exam sitting as they are similar subjects and compliment each other.

Unit 10 - MSP - Managing Systems and People in the Accounting Enviroment - Project
This is a ~4000 word essay due within 6 months (I think) of completing all exams, some colleges dio it earlier.

Unit 11 - DFS - Drafting Finacial Statements - Exam
Subject is similar to FRA in intermediate

Unit 22 - HSPE - Contributing to the Maintenance of a Healthy, Safe and Productive Enviroment - Skills Test
Normally completed in Intermediate Level

These are the optional units (You must chose 2 of the below):

Unit 15 - OCMC - Operating a Cash Management and Credit Control System - Skills Test

Unit 17 - IAP2 - Implementing Auditing Procedures - Skills Test
Note: some have said this puts you in good stead for the auditing paper in ACCA

Unit 18 - BTC - Preparing Business Taxation Computations - Exam

Unit 19 - PTC - Preparing Personal Taxation Computations - Exam

This is for the Diploma route

These units are Compulsory and must be done:

Unit 11 - DFS - Drafting Finacial Statements - Exam
Subject is similar to FRA in intermediate

Unit 33 - MAC - Management Accounting - Exam

Unit 10 - MSP - Managing Systems and People in the Accounting Enviroment - Project
This is a ~4000 word essay due within 6 months (I think) of completing all exams, some colleges dio it earlier.

Unit 32 - PET - Professional Ethics - Skills Test
Normally completed in Intermediate Level

These are the optional units (You must chose 2 of the below):

Unit 17 - IAP3 - Implementing Auditing Procedures - Skills Test
Note: some have said this puts you in good stead for the auditing paper in ACCA

Unit 18 - BTC - Preparing Business Taxation Computations - Exam

Unit 19 - PTC - Preparing Personal Taxation Computations - Exam

Hope this helps..
ยซ1

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Great idea, it wouldn't hurt to raise your forum profile a little.

Maybe you could also expand on what each module covers with brief explanations of one or two sentences for those yet deciding which ones to go for?

Make your post definitive by bumping it back up every now and again to keep it fresh and useful.
  • AK002
    I've yet to sit Technician blobby, so not sure on content..
  • heartsandstars
    heartsandstars Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor โญ
    This is useful - it seems there is always someone asking about the units on here.

Maybe could mention about the DFS paper being weighted differently (ie 70% section 1 and 30% section 2) as that seemed to catch a few people (myself included) out at this sitting.
  • AK002
    Any info that anyone adds to this thread will stay, so people can feel free to update it!

Just had a look on the various websites and..

Exemptions

ACCA

AAT Diploma
    Individuals that have completed the Diploma in Accounting may claim exemptions from papers F1-F3.

AAT NVQ
    Individuals that have completed NVQ levels 2, 3 and 4 may claim exemptions from papers F1-F3

ICAS

(I can't get onto the ICAEW etc websites at work:()

Full AAT members can be exempt from two out of the five TC courses and examinations, Business Management and Financial Accounting, provided the relevant AAT papers are selected and passed.

ACA

The AAT is the fastest growing route into ACA training. The AAT is in itself a well respected accountancy qualification and can be the first step to becoming a Chartered Accountant for school leavers.

The AAT-ACA Fast Track scheme allows AAT students to build on the knowledge and work experience gained at AAT. Unlike graduates, AAT students can apply for exemption from our Accounting exam and are offered special Top Up units in place of our full Audit and Tax exams.

Please add to this part too :).
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Thanks AK.
  • acc1077
    acc1077 Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I'm doing NVQ route however my unit 17 Audit is a skills test:001_unsure:
  • AK002
    I'm doing NVQ route however my unit 17 Audit is a skills test:001_unsure:

You're right.

Amended it, thanks.
  • acc1077
    acc1077 Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    a pleasure - you had me worrying i had another exam to sit :001_smile:
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Looking at the guidelines for each subject, the following is a brief breakdown of the subjects;

Unit 8 PEV โ€“ Monitor how a company is performing and to make recommendations in how to improve performance.

Unit 9 PCR โ€“ Forecast demand for goods or services of a co. Draft budgets of income and expenditure and compare the actual against budget forecasts and make recommendations on the variances.

Unit 11 DFS โ€“ Prepare financial statements of a Ltd co and in relation to the financial reporting standards.

Unit 17 IAP โ€“ Be able to plan and prepare an audit for checking by a qualified supervisor. Know all the relevant laws and regulations.

Unit 18 BTC โ€“ Prepare tax returns for sole traders, partnerships and Ltd companies.

Unit 19 PTC โ€“ calculate tax liabilities for sole traders and employees and investment income.

Unit 22 HSPEW โ€“ deals with Health and safety at work and how to maintain an efficient work environment.

Unit 10 MSP โ€“ To identify a problem, make recommendations on improvements costs involved etc.

Unit 15 CCMC โ€“ Draft budgets, identify investment opportunities and see if new customers are credit worthy.

Unit 33 MAC โ€“ this is units 8 and 9 combined

Unit 32 PET โ€“ All theory. How accountants should behave, what is and is not acceptable when advertising services and brief introduction to money laundering.
  • AK002
    Thanks Mikes, hopefully that should help people chose etc.
  • one-eyed-womble
    one-eyed-womble Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor โญ
    Unit 33 is Units 8 and 9 combined. I'm currently doing the Diploma route, just started studying Unit 33. Am I correct in thinking that Unit 33 is a 3 hour exam, whereas on the NVQ route, units 8 and 9 and two 3 hour exams. So in essence, the same content is covered, but on the NVQ route, there is twice the exam time?

I'm asking because my training provider is suggesting I try to do Unit 33 and Unit 11 DFS in December, which would be the equivalent of 9 hours of exam on the NVQ route. I'm trying to gauge if this is doable or too ambitious for 3 months of study.
  • aj7861
    aj7861 Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor โญ
    Is Level 4 diploma route = foundation degree????
  • Lizzim
    Lizzim Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor โญ
    Unit 33 is Units 8 and 9 combined. I'm currently doing the Diploma route, just started studying Unit 33. Am I correct in thinking that Unit 33 is a 3 hour exam, whereas on the NVQ route, units 8 and 9 and two 3 hour exams. So in essence, the same content is covered, but on the NVQ route, there is twice the exam time?

I'm asking because my training provider is suggesting I try to do Unit 33 and Unit 11 DFS in December, which would be the equivalent of 9 hours of exam on the NVQ route. I'm trying to gauge if this is doable or too ambitious for 3 months of study.

I did MAC and DFS last December, and it wasn't easy but if you can work out a reasonable study timetable it is doable :)
  • ema192
    ema192 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    This is really usefull thanks!!
  • AK002
    :)
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    great post :)

Just started college dipolma doing all except audit
  • AK002
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    great post :)

Just started college dipolma doing all except audit

I feel that's me fulfilled my useful post quota for the year...

Ooft, good luck with that!

I've picked BT and Audit sim :D
  • A-Vic
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    I feel that's me fulfilled my useful post quota for the year...

Ooft, good luck with that!

I've picked BT and Audit sim :D

We didnt get a choice but if we had our hearts set we could do it but working in practise it would be ideal to do both taxes i think
  • AK002
    Aye you're right, although i've done one audit @ work atm as an audit junior and i rekon the audit paper will help alot at my current place..
  • oh confused one
    oh confused one Registered Posts: 128 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Working for a small accountancy firm I too have been strongly advised to do both the Tax options - we don't really have much use for the credit control or the auditing.

My BIG stress at the moment is trying to sort out this project we have to do - with working in a very small firm I don't really have the scope to do anything "job related" but unsure really just what to do - ideas greatfully received
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    My firm is probably smaller than yours, being small won't stop you finding a project.

I did mine on bookkeeping of a client that we took over, going from written books to an excel spreadsheet along with a lot of control issues!
  • oh confused one
    oh confused one Registered Posts: 128 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    My firm is probably smaller than yours, being small won't stop you finding a project.

I did mine on bookkeeping of a client that we took over, going from written books to an excel spreadsheet along with a lot of control issues!

Thanks for that :thumbup1: I could certainly come up with something in that vein - I just assumed having had a brief read through the notes on the unit that it had to be an all singing all dancing project with information gathering through the ranks of the staff
  • AK002
    I talked the project over with one of the Partners @ my work, she said best to base it on a clients books if possible (excluding any confidentiality, obviously) and how you would improve things etc.
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Kinda 'off topic' but some people on Advanced/Intermediate forum talk about FRA simulations. I thought everyone, Diploma and NVQ sat an exam for FRA?
  • GreenMousey
    GreenMousey Registered Posts: 154 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Kinda 'off topic' but some people on Advanced/Intermediate forum talk about FRA simulations. I thought everyone, Diploma and NVQ sat an exam for FRA?

I'm currently studying FRA on the NVQ route and I have an exam and simulation to take to pass it, not sure about the diploma route though.

Mouse x
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Ah, maybe that's it NVQ do a simulation and an exam. I know diploma do only an exam.

Thanks for clearing that up!
  • A-Vic
    Hey all

My books came through at last today woooohoooo
  • AK002
    :lol:

I've been at college for 2 weeks already and you're just getting ready to study..

Shocking!

What exams you sitting?!
  • A-Vic
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    :lol:

I've been at college for 2 weeks already and you're just getting ready to study..

Shocking!

What exams you sitting?!

Got all books at 40% discount from college ยฃ71 kaplin :001_tongue:

doing DFS and personal tax return december
  • Vics
    Vics Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor โญ
    My 1st day back was last night and back in again 2nite!!

Im doing both Tax papers this year aswell as the Audit Sim on the side!! Thing i am slightly crazy!! eek :huh:

Just started PEV & PCR and am also doing Business tax ready to sit exams in December!! Then holiday to Florida for 2 weeks in December to get over the copius stress of 3 exams!! :thumbup:
Privacy Policy