volunteering work

abb220044
abb220044 Registered Posts: 6 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi,

I have completed my Foundation stage and am starting the Intermediate next week.
To improve my CV I was thinking of doing some accountancy based volunteer work but am unsure where to begin. If anyone has any advice or experience of such things it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i am a volunteer at our local scout group and i have just been made district treasurer. i started off in the group with a bank card and a cash box - nothing else. so it is quite satisfying to know i have set up and can confidently run the local and district accounts.

Hope that helps

Tracy
  • Cariann65
    Cariann65 Registered Posts: 19 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Same here, I do accounts for 1 rainbow pack, 2 brownie packs, 1 guide unit, 1 ranger unit and payroll for a disabled guy with carers, plus running my own business :) ... oh and finishing NVQ4 and sitting payroll 2 and 3 at christmas.

I must be mad!:lol:
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I got sick of trying all the voluntary organisations & tried local government for a part-time placement - most are in such a mess that when they realise they'll eventually lose you, they offer something quick (& dealing with big budgets does your CV no harm at all). Best of luck!
  • Mikeb111
    Mikeb111 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I got sick of trying all the voluntary organisations & tried local government for a part-time placement - most are in such a mess that when they realise they'll eventually lose you, they offer something quick (& dealing with big budgets does your CV no harm at all). Best of luck!

Did you find the local government placements on their own websites, or did you chance your arm and write direct to their finance departments?

Has anyone else managed to secure something similar to this? If so how?

Thanks
  • Thomasl1
    Thomasl1 Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor โญ
    I visited a Voluntary Action centre in my town, and they said that voluntary treasurers were like gold dust these days, so they offered me a number of options and I have now been Treasurer with the local branch of The Alzheimer's Society for over a year now and really enjoying the experience that comes from it.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I just rang their HR department - thay take on loads of school kids for 2 weeks work experience, but were really enthusiatic when I told them I was doing AAT & wanted a longer placement in finance (social services dept). I was a bit scared about taking on a treasurers role in the current economic climate, by the way.
Privacy Policy