Advice needed

lori
lori Registered Posts: 25 Regular contributor ⭐
having completed and passed intermediate level due to start technician level day release at college - not 100% sure if i want to continue - i don't work in accountancy i work for the NHS in the payroll department - found the Intermediate level really hard going and had to put in a lot of work at home any advice would be very much appreciated
lori:glare::crying:

Comments

• SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    lori
    I think the Technician is a tough course. I think it helps in accounting and suits someone who can see its application with their work.
    I think their are far more fun ways of using the time, and if the course and final qualification are not going to help, these more fun things would be preferable.
    On that basis, stop. Look back at your success on intermediate with pride, and make a point of enjoying the days that you might have spent grinding through question after question on Technician.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • dobbieobby
    dobbieobby Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Lori, I've worked in accounts for 17 years and most of what I learnt in the second year never comes up in my day to day role. I've just started Technician and doing the DFS and Personal Tax, I personally think it will be worth it (espically if work are paying!) for a sense of achievement! I work full time and can only study in lunchtimes (not everyday) and after work, at weekends. YES, it's a lot of work but I'm going to complete it if it kills me!
    Only you can decide what's for the best. But in a few years would you regret not carrying on?
    I appreciate that Sandy is a valued member on here and has helped me out before, but it's your choice what you do :001_smile:
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Lori, I also work in the NHS in Finance and I know that they prefer people to have qualifications that are relevant to your job. (Paper seems all important doesn't mean you know what your doing), i digress).

If you want to move into Finance in the future - be it NHS, other public or private, then the AAT Tech qualification is worth it. (I am on my 3rd attempt so I know how hard it is). However I found that the hard work that i put in to be invaluable.

If you are not sure now, wait. AAT is something that you could pick up later. get used to your job, what you want to do where you want to go etc.

Good luck with what you decide
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If you are working in Payroll and want to continue in that, would the payroll qualification be more suited to you? You may be able to pick up on that more easier as you will know more about it.
  • lewpylew
    lewpylew Registered Posts: 216 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I was in the same predicament as you this time last year and almost gave up, but decided to pursue Technician level. I started in term one with just cash & credit which is only a skills test and then I have just completed PEV & PCR which I passed. I am heading back off to college next week to do both tax exams and will study DFS after Christmas. I work f/t, have 2 children(3 & 5) and found doing it in little steps made the qualification more acheiveable.

Good luck whatever you decide xx
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    lori wrote: »
    having completed and passed intermediate level due to start technician level day release at college - not 100% sure if i want to continue - i don't work in accountancy i work for the NHS in the payroll department - found the Intermediate level really hard going and had to put in a lot of work at home any advice would be very much appreciated
    lori:glare::crying:

If you dont mind me asking - where are you based lori? Wales? England? Scotland?

I am only asking because there is a huge re-shuffle going on with the NHS in Wales at the moment with the amalgamation of primary care trusts and health boards....meaning there will be loads of employment opportunities within a finance department. I am not sure what is happening in England presently, but Scotland also went through this and I am sure that if they are both proved be successful....roll outs will follow in England and Ireland too. Obviously if you feel you dont want a career in finance...take a year off your AAT studies and see where you go from there
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    It seems such a shame to complete only part of the qualification.

It would be beneficial to pursue Technician level because of a sense of acheivement.
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    mark057 wrote: »
    It seems such a shame to complete only part of the qualification.

It would be beneficial to pursue Technician level because of a sense of acheivement.

Thats true, but if someone's heart is not in it then there is a serious danger of lacking the required commitment through pure lack of enthusiasm.....and there would be nothing worse than say getting through the year and then giving up because you just dont have the motivation to see it through....that could then negatively affect confidence levels and attitude and i just cant see any positives in that. If there was a determination there to finish the technician level then yes i would say go for it, but not if their hearts not in it.....thats just planning to fail.
    Good luck anyway, whatever you decide. :thumbup:
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Lori

I would say continue purely because when you do your second year of AAT it is quite a big gap from the 1st to the 2nd year. I found that the gap from 2nd to 3rd was not quite as bad as I had learnt the foundation of what I needed to complete techie level.

Also don't forget that if you are stuff on someone, throw it out on to the forums and there will also be someone out there who can help you. For example if you need project assistance I mentor students in the area for the love of it, I do not charge and do not expect or accept any payment for my help and believe me there are lots more out there like me who will help you along.

The other thing to think about is that once you qualify you could work on becoming a member in practice and then set up your own accounting practice.

Think long a hard before packing it in altogether. You have worked so hard to get this far and although Sandy is right and you should be extremely proud of yourselve for getting this far, but it's only a few more units and you will be fully qualified.

Well good luck in whatever you decide anyway, but do let us know.

Speegs. :thumbup:
  • lori
    lori Registered Posts: 25 Regular contributor ⭐
    thanks for all your advice i'm based in Middlesbrough England - i started back at college on Tuesday still not 100% sure what going to do will decide nearer end september before enrolling - i'm starting a new venture (teaching baton twirling to kids) outside of work so don't think i will really have the time to put into AAT will see how things go
    thanks again
    lori x
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Lori

Knowing a few people who work in the NHS in the north east they look very favorable on the completion of the AAT and better roles are offered. Just a tought.

Good luck for the future

Vic
  • flower
    flower Registered Posts: 160 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Lori I too do not work in Accounting environment but work in finance for local council.
    I too did struggle with some things on Intermediate and can say I am probably one of the oldest students on this forum. I failed both my exams but did resit and passed FRA.
    ECR still to do but am going onto Level 4 because I do not want to be beat and enjoy going and meeting other students and made good friends. Think it is worth perservering and although you may not need this qualification in your present job, there are lots of finance jobs advertised that require this, even in a non accounting environment. If I can do so can you. Good Luck though in whatever you decide to do.
Privacy Policy