Is AAT Foundation suitable for complete beginner?

mge
mge Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
Hi. I'm very interested in learning bookkeeping/accounts, but am an absolute beginner. I do have good educational qualifications in other areas though, and have very good numeracy skills.

Is it a good idea to dive straight in with the AAT Foundation course, or should I sign up for something a little more basic first. Another alternative at my local college is the IAB Bookkeeping Certificate.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Go for it!

That was exactly how I started, you will be fine.
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums. The foundation is ideal for beginners, as it will teach you all the basics, that you need to know in doing double entry bookkeeping, such as journals, the different types of documents used for supplying goods and paying invoices etc.

Just about everyone there will most likely either have no prior knowledge of accounts or hasn't done studying for a long time and it will be good to get them back into studying.

The IAB bookkeeping will also teach you this and you can use it as an excemption for the foundation level and move straight to the intermediate level, you may have to do the work skills test or Health and safety unit at this level though.

Best of luck, for whichever you choose to do.
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Yeah foundation is very straight forward and it teaches fundamental areas. DR and CR which is pretty much the core building blocks of accounting are so easy to absorb at this level that it helps for pretty much the rest of the course and your future depending on how far you take it.

If you no foundation then opt for the 6 mths option as its more than acheiverable.

Just go for it!!

Martin
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I did a years course of bookkeeping before doing AAT Foundation. Really no need to do the bookkeeping first. Everything I had already done was pretty much covered in Foundation year. It was a years waste of time and money but then hindsight is a wonderful thing!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I did a years course of bookkeeping before doing AAT Foundation. Really no need to do the bookkeeping first. Everything I had already done was pretty much covered in Foundation year. It was a years waste of time and money but then hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Same here!
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Definately go for it.

I would say forget the bookkeeping course and go straight for foundation.

I started on foundation with no prior experience except for a 'C' in GCSE accounting which I didn't utilise after school at all, so thought I'd start from scratch and now I'm onto intermediate studying for the December exams.

Also, this is a great forum with great banter and I can say that there are a minimum of posts left without replies ,so your never left needing an answer.

Go For it.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve
  • mge
    Many thanks for all the help and advice people have given me. It's very much appreciated.

The problem with the AAT Foundation course at my local college is that it is during the day, but the IAB Bookkeeping Certificate (Levels 1 and 2) is in the evening, which would suit me much better. Also, it goes without saying that the IAB Bookkeeping certificate course is considerably cheaper than the AAT Foundation.

Do you think that if I do the IAB Bookkeeping Certificate this year, and also did some extra studying in computerised accounts, I would be able to move straight to the AAT Intermediate next year?

Your help is very much appreciated.
  • Thomasl1
    Thomasl1 Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor โญ
    I wouldn't say theres a need to do the extra studying in computerised accounts. If you complete the IAB Bookkeeping Certificate then I would say you could definately start AAT studies at Intermediate. I started AAT studying at Intermediate level because I had a very basic knowledge of bookkeeping, and this was learned upon during intermediate level. At the end of the day its what you feel comfortable with to pass the exams at the end of the year.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    would it be possible for you study by distance learning ?

I'm studying with a company called Premier training and they offer a way to pay off their course in 4 installments. Alternating months plus no interest if that makes it easier for you.

Take a look at their website.
  • Rasa
    Rasa Registered Posts: 22 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi,

I started at Intermediate even I never did any bookkeeping or accounts. I found it quite easy. Books and tutor can explain everything, so there is no need for additional training. I think you could start Intermediate as well - it would save you 1 year.
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor โญ
    mge wrote: ยป
    The problem with the AAT Foundation course at my local college is that it is during the day, but the IAB Bookkeeping Certificate (Levels 1 and 2) is in the evening, which would suit me much better. Also, it goes without saying that the IAB Bookkeeping certificate course is considerably cheaper than the AAT Foundation.

Do you think that if I do the IAB Bookkeeping Certificate this year, and also did some extra studying in computerised accounts, I would be able to move straight to the AAT Intermediate next year?

Do what suits your budget and time avaliable. I would go 4 the book keeping one, then if you want to continue then into intermediate.

Like others have said i would imagine the Foundation to cover mostly what is in the bookkeeping course so you would be wasting time/money and effort to take foudation after. Dont worry about the computerised accounts as AAT is book based!!

Good Luck
  • mge
    I really appreciate the advice I have been given on this forum. Many thanks to everyone!

I've actually now started the IAB Bookkeeping Certificate course, as I couldn't really justify taking out a full day to study the AAT Foundation at the moment. Hopefully next year I will be in more of a position to take on an AAT course, possibly the Intermediate. Meanwhile, I'll try to look around for a basic job in bookkeeping/accounts, or possibly for something voluntary on my days off.

I'm really enjoying the course so far (although at the moment we've only covered the accounting equation and basic ledger DR/CR entries).

Many thanks for all the help and advice. It's really been invaluable!
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    If you want any help with the technical aspects of the bookkeeping, then feel free to ask on here and someone will be able to help.
  • mge
    Many thanks for that mikes.
Privacy Policy