DFS/Accounting Standards Revision for December 2009

Steve Collings
Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Guys,

Following the results of the June 2009 session, I have now got some dates available for DFS related revision. I aim to keep the costs to an absolute minimum so they do work out very cheap. However, costs for the London venue in November and the days in October have not yet been finalised, but have put details here so you can plan your time.

Saturday 26 September 2009 - Novotel Manchester Centre

IFRS Refresher/How to Succeed at DFS
This day will run through some of the more complex IFRS/IAS which you are likely to come across during your DFS studies. I will also offer guidance on what the examiner is looking for, the traps the examiner can (and has) set for candidates and how to spot these, effective consolidation techniques, how NOT to fail Section 2 (the smallest section of the paper) and effective study techniques as well as a "how to revise for DFS" session.

Cost of this day = Β£25 per delegate including course material.

Saturday 17th / Sunday 18th October - Manchester/Leeds
DFS Revision
This day will look at 2 past papers in a lot of detail and we will look at exactly what the examiner is looking for and why students fail. I will also go through some pointers for section 1 and section 2 and pitfalls to avoid.

Venue and cost: to be arranged

Saturday 7 November 2009 - Bristol
DFS Revision
Course as above.

Venue adn cost: to be arranged

Saturday 21 November - London
DFS revision. This course will cover the same as the above course.

Venue and cost: to be arranged.

If you would like to attend any of the above days, then please drop me an email at steve.collings@accountancystudents.co.uk

Please note that I am restricting class sizes to a maximum of 8 people in order that I can incorporate questions into the lecture plans. Those that have already emailed me about the days on the 26 September 2009, your places have been secured.

Many thanks

Steve

Comments

• numberz
    numberz Registered Posts: 44 Regular contributor ⭐
    really interested in a revision course but i live in Bristol and my 4th child is due in december so don't want to risk driving too far, do you think there might be a course closer for me???
  • Steve Collings
    I can look to do one on 7th November 2009 in Bristol if you like. I would need a class size of 8 to make the day viable.

Cost and venue to be advised.

Regards

Steve
  • numberz
    numberz Registered Posts: 44 Regular contributor ⭐
    thanks......... i'll ask about to see if anyone else interested
    Luci
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Steve are you doing any courses for IAP. I am still struggling like mad with this paper.
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I Highly recommend Steves courses, they're full of useful information.
    :001_smile:
  • Steve Collings
    Glynis wrote: Β»
    Steve are you doing any courses for IAP. I am still struggling like mad with this paper.

I don't have any IAP days planned unfortunately merely because the take up of these don't make revision days viable.

If you are still struggling with IAP then it might be best switching to another unit. I understand some tuition providers tell the students which optional units they will sit, but it might be worth explaining to your college the difficulties you are having with this unit. If they won't allow you to change options then maybe look to BPP/Kaplan/other providers who will allow you to do another unit.

Regards
    Steve
  • garry_coombs
    garry_coombs Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I would reccomend these courses, I did one ready for the June 09 sittings and it got my studying off to a flying start and helped me feel confident that I could pass.

I passed my exams and am now AAT qualified.

This is a real building block to studying and understanding the essentials that need to be studied in detail along with learning about the grey areas that are common problems for students.

Thanks for the help Steve!!
  • Glynis
    Steve can you recommend any good books on auditing please to help me with my unit 17 as I want to do the sim in a couple of weeks then do ACCA.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Sorry to butt in here but which text books are you using Glynis?
  • Glynis
    Sorry to butt in here but which text books are you using Glynis?

I had bought some BPP manuals but they are useless. My college have given us some handouts which don't really help explain issues very well.
  • Bluewednesday
    I used BPP all through ACCA and referred to them during AAT, I found them excellent, what isn't good about them? I found them the best for both the audit and the advanced audit paper.

People home study just using those books, just interested in what you don't like about them?
  • Glynis
    I don't like how they are written. There is no structure to make it easy to learn the subject. I have found that before with BPP books. I don't think they are written with the student in mind.

I urgently need some more audit books to help me deal with unit 17. Steve where are you?
  • Bluewednesday
    We got on really well with Osborne books have you tried them before?
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Steve where are you?

Probably enjoying his weekend :lol:
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    As a general question have any home studiers asked their local branch if they have someone that can assist with specific areas they are struggling with?
  • Steve Collings
    Steve can you recommend any good books on auditing please to help me with my unit 17 as I want to do the sim in a couple of weeks then do ACCA.

Hi Glynis,

I am not aware of any "good" auditing text books. If you are not happy with BPP then you should try either Kaplan or the Osbourne books that Annette has referred you to. Alternatively, you should contact your college and see if they have any such books available.
    I don't think they are written with the student in mind.
    Steve where are you?

I'll be very surprised if BPP authors don't write text books without the student in mind as the students are what makes BPP!

Regards

Steve
  • Steve Collings
    Worryingly the AAT have come out and said that their pass rates (DFS included) have fallen "big time". (PQ Accountant magazine)

The examiner has pointed out in a recent article that students struggle with the written elements of DFS and this would be consistent with a large number of students who contacted me after the recent results release saying they had passed section 1 and failed on section 2.

I, for one, am surprised at the substantial fall in pass rates given DFS's "predictable" nature and am left asking the question "what has gone horribly wrong??!!"

Regards

Steve
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Did you end up booking anything in Leeds Steve? I am coming this week to Manchester but would appreciate all the help I can get!!
  • Steve Collings
    Hi Sarah,

I will be looking at the Leeds course in the next week or so pending delegate numbers.

Kind regards

Steve
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Cool I hope there is something on in Leeds, I need all the help I can get!!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Worryingly the AAT have come out and said that their pass rates (DFS included) have fallen "big time". (PQ Accountant magazine)

The examiner has pointed out in a recent article that students struggle with the written elements of DFS and this would be consistent with a large number of students who contacted me after the recent results release saying they had passed section 1 and failed on section 2.

I, for one, am surprised at the substantial fall in pass rates given DFS's "predictable" nature and am left asking the question "what has gone horribly wrong??!!"

Regards

Steve

I've heard a bit about this, that the DFS exam cannot be passed on numerical questions alone...
  • Steve Collings
    Hi AK002,

That is correct. The examiner has said that students are good at calculating numbers and correctly classifying these numbers within the appropriate sections of the paper but what they fail on is the interpretation side of the paper i.e. the bits were the student has to write words!

The examiner knows trainee accountants can use calculators but what the paper also tests is the student's interpretation of what those numbers mean which is a fundamental part of any accountants job. In real life accounting practice, the numbers are merely a form of shorthand - clients often want to know what those numbers mean.

Kind regards

Steve
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi Steve

Your book that helps with DFS "The Core Aspects of International Financial Reporting Standards and International Accounting Standards" - is this only available from the www.authorhouse.co.uk book store? This seems to be posted out from USA - how long does the book take to arrive once ordered from here?
    Thanks
  • Steve Collings
    Hi Mini,

It is also available here from Amazon.

Best wishes

Steve

p.s. I think it usually takes about a week if you order direct from the publisher - I know it's quicker than Amazon.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Steve

Currently studying DFS on the third week it suprised me that we have now covered 99% of section one and are now going to be concentrating the remainder now studying section two.

it seems strange and unfair that so much is concentrated on one section of an whole exam, but whatever happeneds speaking for myself i will put as much in too both sections.

Vic
  • Steve Collings
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    Hi Steve

Currently studying DFS on the third week it suprised me that we have now covered 99% of section one and are now going to be concentrating the remainder now studying section two.

it seems strange and unfair that so much is concentrated on one section of an whole exam, but whatever happeneds speaking for myself i will put as much in too both sections.

Vic

You must make sure that you don't let the weighting of the paper distract you. Also don't under estimate the importance of section 2 - it might only be 30% of the paper but as lots of students found this sitting just gone it is as important as section 1.

Good luck.

Steve
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    You must make sure that you don't let the weighting of the paper distract you. Also don't under estimate the importance of section 2 - it might only be 30% of the paper but as lots of students found this sitting just gone it is as important as section 1.

Good luck.

Steve

Totally agree steve thats the fact thats worrying me (trying not too tho) the fact it only being 30% and the amount needed on such a small section.

But ty for the heads up :)

Ive also sent an email to you sorry for late question.

Thanks

Vic
Privacy Policy