Practise v Industry

A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Good Morning All

As reaching the end of my AAT studies like a lot of you am now contemplating the next step.

Now having worked in practise for almost 5 years and gained a great deal of experience i am now wondering if its time to move to either a bigger practise (so scope to move up) or look in to moving towards industry.

Now never working in industry (apart from factory work from leaving school) am not sure what to expect or possible advantages/disadvantages?

Any input would be great whether it be job details, experiences in either or advise would be great.

Thanks

Vic

P.S Can i also include Civil Service
ยซ1

Comments

• mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Good Morning All

As reaching the end of my AAT studies like a lot of you am now contemplating the next step.

Now having worked in practise for almost 5 years and gained a great deal of experience i am now wondering if its time to move to either a bigger practise (so scope to move up) or look in to moving towards industry.

Now never working in industry (apart from factory work from leaving school) am not sure what to expect or possible advantages/disadvantages?

Any input would be great whether it be job details, experiences in either or advise would be great.

Thanks

Vic

P.S Can i also include Civil Service

carry on to do chartered !!!
  • A-Vic
    carry on to do chartered !!!

I would Mark but have been as good as told this is a one chartered pratise and thats all it will be so what can you do?
  • mark130273
    I would Mark but have been as good as told this is a one chartered pratise and thats all it will be so what can you do?

so they would not give you the time off or the financial backing to do a course then ?
  • A-Vic
    so they would not give you the time off or the financial backing to do a course then ?

Nope am already doing a 5 day week in 4 days so i can go to college and paying the fee's myself
  • mark130273
    Nope am already doing a 5 day week in 4 days so i can go to college and paying the fee's myself

wow crickey.....i dont know what to say unless you look around maybe for a different company that will back your future courses ?
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    If I were in your position I would be inclined to find a larger practice rather than move to industry. Purely because I've found it so hard to move from industry to practice that I've stopped trying and am jsut concentrating on industry.
  • A-Vic
    wow crickey.....i dont know what to say unless you look around maybe for a different company that will back your future courses ?

Yep i was hoping the big 4 (more KPMG) but a bit of wishfull thinking lol
  • mark130273

hope.......eyh right ........two hope no hope and bob hope !!
  • Bookworm55

One of my friends is trying to convince me to join her in the audit function of KPMG Singapore. Apparently they are short of people and since most business is done in English, an inability to speak Mandarin or Malay isn't that much of a handicap.
  • mark130273
    One of my friends is trying to convince me to join her in the audit function of KPMG Singapore. Apparently they are short of people and since most business is done in English, an inability to speak Mandarin or Malay isn't that much of a handicap.

good luck ,im sure if you can speak another language then you would be miles ahead of getting a job abroad . i just couldnt even think about working abroad at the mo ?
  • A-Vic
    hope.......eyh right ........two hope no hope and bob hope !!

I do have a couple of links with them but why not aim high, the sad fact is i do love my current job so its a stay where you are and STAY where you are or its move and hope for the best ?
  • mark130273
    I do have a couple of links with them but why not aim high, the sad fact is i do love my current job so its a stay where you are and STAY where you are or its move and hope for the best ?

well in this current climate its best that at least you dont have to worry about your job . as i have seen myself and others around me losing their jobs left ,right and centre....so grin a bare it !!
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    The only thing I would say based on my experience in industry is if you don't choose a big enough firm you end up doing all sorts. In fact I've found the accounts side is incidental to my job now I do admin, training, you name it. Obviously thats not true of all industry just my experience.
  • Bookworm55
    good luck ,im sure if you can speak another language then you would be miles ahead of getting a job abroad . i just couldnt even think about working abroad at the mo ?

I'm not going to go for it. I do only speak English and some French (but not enough to live and work there), and I've consistently failed to pick up any Mandarin despite the best efforts of several of my friends and colleagues!

Plus I don't particularly want to move 6,700 miles away from home.
  • mark130273
    I'm not going to go for it. I do only speak English and some French (but not enough to live and work there), and I've consistently failed to pick up any Mandarin despite the best efforts of several of my friends and colleagues!

Plus I don't particularly want to move 6,700 miles away from home.

oh right the way it was put down was it looked like you were actaully going to go for the job , i do remember on here on time someone was putting a link to a job on the AAT website for a tutor in jamiaca !!! now thats a job !
  • Bookworm55
    Nah, I was suggesting it for anyone who fancied a move to the tropics.
  • A-Vic
    See thats the good thing for me i am prepared to move anywhere in the country for that ideal job op
  • Bookworm55
    I know what you mean, but I have my limits. There are places I'd like to go though.

Anywhere in the country, probably. Anywhere on the UK mainland, certainly. Other side of the world? No thanks.
  • mark130273
    I know what you mean, but I have my limits. There are places I'd like to go though.

Anywhere in the country, probably. Anywhere on the UK mainland, certainly. Other side of the world? No thanks.

thats aquestion i get asked quite a lot when signing with agencies. on how far would i be preparred to travel ?
  • A-Vic
    thats aquestion i get asked quite a lot when signing with agencies. on how far would i be preparred to travel ?

I think its a case of move rather than travel tho
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

You are only young...you should follow your dream...if you have no chance to progress in your present place of work..sad as it is...you will have to move to a new job....and one of the big 4 is NOT out of you reach...why should it be..you are as good as anyone else..
  • mark130273

i would rather travel for 1 1/2 hours than move !
  • A-Vic
    i would rather travel for 1 1/2 hours than move !

Trust me mark where i live at the mo makes anfield look nice, plus i was looking to move in the next year to northest
  • mark130273
    Trust me mark where i live at the mo makes anfield look nice

hey anfields not the worst area in liverpool..... but im sure manchester has its good areas ?
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I would echo the previous comments about small firms in industry expecting more than just accounts work from you (although its not always a bad thing). I would also comment that it needs a lot of self motivation to do the good and the bad bits as and when needed, and act as the guru with all the knowledge re accounting.

Not having worked in practise I cannot compare the two.
  • A-Vic
    thats what i do like the versatility of my current job id hate having to just sit and input invoices all day (no disrespect to those who do tho).

It may come across that am been fussy and should be grateful
  • mark130273
    thats what i do like the versatility of my current job id hate having to just sit and input invoices all day (no disrespect to those who do tho).

It may come across that am been fussy and should be grateful

too true. those type of jobs with just inputting invoices all day , i have seen a couple of them advertised and i would not fancy doing that as a career ?
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Practice for me!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    too true. those type of jobs with just inputting invoices all day , i have seen a couple of them advertised and i would not fancy doing that as a career ?

'Data_Input_Officer' springs to mind.

Maybe that's why they were such a pain/moany LOL
  • A-Vic
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    'Data_Input_Officer' springs to mind.

Maybe that's why they were such a pain/moany LOL

o gawd get me a UB40 now lol
Privacy Policy