HMRC do the funnest things

A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
well had a first today talk about HMRC getting lazy but now it seems they want us to do there admin for them as well.

We sent out a clients bank statements last month for an investigation, to be quite shocked when we received them back yesturday with a covering letter asking us to copy them and send them out the copies?????

What next they want us to run out and get them coffee? :lol:

So what stories or dealings have you lot had with HMRC then???

Comments

• mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    well had a first today talk about HMRC getting lazy but now it seems they want us to do there admin for them as well.

We sent out a clients bank statements last month for an investigation, to be quite shocked when we received them back yesturday with a covering letter asking us to copy them and send them out the copies?????

What next they want us to run out and get them coffee? :lol:

So what stories or dealings have you lot had with HMRC then???

maybe they want to keep them and thought they would only want to copies.....i know it very cheeky for them to send them back for you to copy and send it back again ??

i have not had much run in with them other than one time i was passed around 4 times before i got to speak to the person who i needed to speak too ?
  • A-Vic
    But come on lazy gits they have our money they can do their own bloody copying
  • Melt
    Melt Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    A friend of mine recently received a letter from HMRC informing him that he had died a year ago, brilliant!
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I was once asked if I was impersonating myself...

I called up my tax office to ask about a refund for overpaid tax the previous tax year. But before I could have an actual conversation, I had to get through the barrage of questions about my address, date of birth etc.

I noticed the advisor person kept asking the same questions about my personal information in slightly different ways as though to catch me out. I asked her what was going on. She asked if I was the person I claimed to be. I told her I was. She asked again, more aggressively. I told her I was, and asked if there was a problem.

Apparently the person I was talking to on the phone believed she could hear someone else in the room telling me the answers to all the questions I was being asked. I was alone indoors with the TV off. Somehow I convinced her I was telling the truth, but she remained suspicious through the entire conversation.
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ

I called up my tax office to ask about a refund for overpaid tax the previous tax year. But before I could have an actual conversation, I had to get through the barrage of questions about my address, date of birth etc.

I noticed the advisor person kept asking the same questions about my personal information in slightly different ways as though to catch me out. I asked her what was going on. She asked if I was the person I claimed to be. I told her I was. She asked again, more aggressively. I told her I was, and asked if there was a problem.

Apparently the person I was talking to on the phone believed she could hear someone else in the room telling me the answers to all the questions I was being asked. I was alone indoors with the TV off. Somehow I convinced her I was telling the truth, but she remained suspicious through the entire conversation.

LOL thats brilliant
  • MILLY21
    MILLY21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    I wonder if it has anything to do with like data protection? You know they cant be seen to duplicate official documents?? I suppose even if that were the case it does seem a little over the top doesnt it
  • mark130273

yes but im sure that they have to protect people i know thats a bit extreme thou......

i do rememeber once a company rang me and asked me various things because they wanted to get payment for a bill and i gave them their account code then they were asking all the other normal stuff about my address etc. and i told them that it sohuld be on their screen and she would not tell me what my address was. so i ended up telling them to p**s off and rang them back and when i rang back i got the same girl....who then preceded to tell me my address and amount to be paid ???
  • A-Vic
    The best one is though when they ring you then ask "security questions" i had tax credits do that to me they rang me asked questions then they said sorry you have failed the questions and could i ring them back i said baring in mind i had no idea why they where ringing so no
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    yes but im sure that they have to protect people i know thats a bit extreme thou......

I know. But they won't even speak to you unless you go through all this. All I wanted was the postal address of the tax office and which department I needed to address the letter to. Which surely they could tell anyone? (not which tax office an individual belongs to, but the address of the office you're talking to)
  • mark130273
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    The best one is though when they ring you then ask "security questions" i had tax credits do that to me they rang me asked questions then they said sorry you have failed the questions and could i ring them back i said baring in mind i had no idea why they where ringing so no

i do remeber that too.....i rang them for a very very simple answer on something which should of taken 2 minutes at most and after being on the phone for 10minutes i finally got through all the security questions and then asked the one thing that i wanted to know !!
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I have just rung HMRC's charity section as I need to register a charity for tax purposes.

I was given a list of information that they require, all good. Then I was told it would take up to six week before we heard from them. I mentioned something about then being able to hand out the gift aid forms. No she says it takes six weeks for them to decide whether they will allow us to register

Six weeks!!!
  • mark130273
    ouch six weeks.......why ?
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    because apparently they are very very busy hmmm

love the tank top by the way very fetching
Privacy Policy