The ECR Exam 30/11/2009

monkeyrage
monkeyrage Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
How did everybody find this? I hope people found it just as difficult as I did and AAT lower the pass rate!!

Comments

• meibaker
    meibaker Registered Posts: 481 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i didn't do well in the 2 part. does anyone knows the pass rate on ECR?
  • dingaling
    dingaling Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Found it stupidly difficult :( worked really hard building up to it and am now preparing to resit it by CBE in Feb
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I hated the whole lot. Didnt even answer one question and it was a 16 minute question so expecting to fail as I got stuck on both Sections.
  • monkeyrage
    I managed to answer everything in section 1 and fingers crossed, the majority of it is correct! However, Section 2 was something else. The Profit and Loss account was exceptionally hard, that has not been covered once in any past paper i've practiced! Also the last question, which was calculating the Net Present Cost, and not the Net Present Value, i feel i have completely messed up. CBE in Feb i think...
  • dingaling
    I'm relying on follow through marks to pass this bad lad :(
  • progmetalgod
    progmetalgod Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    monkeyrage wrote: »
    I managed to answer everything in section 1 and fingers crossed, the majority of it is correct! However, Section 2 was something else. The Profit and Loss account was exceptionally hard, that has not been covered once in any past paper i've practiced! Also the last question, which was calculating the Net Present Cost, and not the Net Present Value, i feel i have completely messed up. CBE in Feb i think...

Same thoughts here about section 1 being fine, and section 2 being very difficult. The P&L question came from out of nowhere, and don't expect to get anywhere with it. The last question about Net Present Cost didn't make sense to me as there were no revenues involved, but I unconvincingly gave it a go. I lost the plot in a couple of other tasks so whether or not they was laid out differently to what we have learned or I hadn't revised enough remains to be seen...
  • catheriner3482
    catheriner3482 Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    hi i've just sat ERC as well and found it really hard, i studyed really hard too, i went though all the past exam paper and was doing really well. todays exam was nothing like the past exam papers. i found all of it hard, when are the resits? i think i've failed. :-(
  • meibaker
    first part is not too bad, but i complete messed up on the section 2! P&L and the disposal process! it's so difficult!
  • catheriner3482
    when is the resit for ECR? is it in june? when do we get are results? i know mines going to say fail on section 2, it has so hard and nothing like the past exam question.
  • monkeyrage
    the paper-based resits are not until next summer if you fail! although you can take CBE at anytime throughout the year. section 2 was a complete mess! i've managed to work through each question and write logical answers but it just shatteres your confidence completely! also frustrating that we all need to wait until Feb to find out!!
  • catheriner3482
    the paper-based resits are not until next summer if you fail! although you can take CBE at anytime throughout the year. section 2 was a complete mess! i've managed to work through each question and write logical answers but it just shatteres your confidence completely! also frustrating that we all need to wait until Feb to find out!!

what is CBE? i know it's computer based but how does it work, is it part of the ECR exam so we don't have to resit as much of the ECR exam in June?
  • monkeyrage
    It is exactly the same as a ECR exam, just tested on the computer instead of on paper. It is the same length, and tests the same sort of questions! The advantage is that you can take the CBE whenever a centre organises it, whereas the paper exams are only sat in December and June. I can see the AAT making a lot of money from the re-sits for ECR!
  • meibaker
    do you know if you will be able to get the result staight away or not with CBE?
  • catheriner3482
    i can see AAT making ahell of alot of money out of the re-sits for ECR, everyone seems to have it really hard. it was nothing like the passed examed and much harder. i might look into CBE.
  • dingaling
    There may be an error with the process costing part in section 2. Abnormal gain of 515 when you only started with 500 and there were no opening or closing stocks. My tutor is going to find out for defo tmro...........
  • monkeyrage
    meibaker wrote: »

When you have completed a CBE exam, it gives you a provisional result straight away as soon as you have clicked the finish button. If it says you have passed, it is pretty certain that you have passed!
  • dingaling

You are given a preliminary result of successful or unsuccesful straight after the CBE which is then checked by AAT and made official shortly after.
  • monkeyrage
    dingaling wrote: »
    There may be an error with the process costing part in section 2. Abnormal gain of 515 when you only started with 500 and there were no opening or closing stocks. My tutor is going to find out for defo tmro...........

If this is an error in the exam, how would this question be marked, do you know?
  • meibaker
    But i would prefer do it now when it's still fresh! Is it possible?
  • timgriff
    timgriff Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor ⭐
    hmmmm horrible paper with lots of trip-you-up,"'i bet they wont be revising this one Mwahahahaahhaha" style questions!!... Big thumbs down to management accounting, BOOO!!

Glad to see I wasn't the only one phased by the process question which said inputs 500kg, outputs 515kg.....
  • dingaling
    If this is an error in the exam, how would this question be marked, do you know?

You should be given full marks for at least attempting the question and trying to make it balance. There were errors in this mornings exams as well so they should be awarded full marks to!
  • catheriner3482

it is possible to have an abnormal gane, however it has never had an abnormal gain on any of the pass exam papers! i conldn't get it to balance or find out the cost per unit!
  • monkeyrage

You will have to find a centre that is staging a CBE soon. You may be able to check on AAT, to see whether you can request a CBE at any centre etc but I am not entirely sure I'm afraid.
  • dingaling
    it is possible to have an abnormal gane, however it has never had an abnormal gain on any of the pass exam papers! i conldn't get it to balance or find out the cost per unit!

It is possible to have an abnormal gain but don't believe it is possible when you have no opening or closing stock. My tutor didn't seem to think it was right and believes it to be an error.
  • meibaker
    so what's the product cost per kg then?
  • dingaling

I can't see why its not possible although if you have paid for this paper based exam and then pass it, you would have paid for the CBE which is approx £20 more.

I only know this stuff because I work for one of the accounting colleges that offer the CBE's - I'm not a geek really!!
  • dingaling
    so what's the product cost per kg then?

That question was before the scary processing question with the abnormal gain. The question for the product cost was based on normal production with the normal loss of 5%. I can't remember what I put now but I managed to work it out (I hope) :s
  • catheriner3482
    It is possible to have an abnormal gain but don't believe it is possible when you have no opening or closing stock. My tutor didn't seem to think it was right and believes it to be an error.

oh, i hope it was an error, i wouldn't figure out the cost per unit when there was an abnormal gain, it just wouldn't balance. but i'm sure we did one in class that had no opening balacne no closeing balance and had an abnormal gain.
  • Paul1990
    Paul1990 Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    £30 per kg wasnt it?
  • meibaker
    does anyone know if eastleigh college offer CBE or not, i live in bournemouth, the nearest centre is eastleigh for me.
Privacy Policy