The ECR Exam 30/11/2009

Comments

• dingaling
    dingaling Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Paul1990 wrote: »
    What did you all put for the profit maximisation/6000kg limiting factor question?

Think that was possibly the only question I liked! Made a profit and everything! Can't remember the figures tho :s
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    i think you can have 515kg even if you put just 500kg...this is because it said that the DIRECT materials were 500 never said anything about indirect material....lets say it is paint....you put in 500 kg worth of red paint....you can end up with 515kg of paint because you can have used for example water to clean the bowl were you mix it and this is an indirect material that can be accumulated making the extra kilos ...the paint wont be of that much quality but hey ho thats the only common sense explanation i can think of....

about the P&L i have the exam on wednesday for unit 5 so i tried to much as match as i could....
  • meibaker
    meibaker Registered Posts: 481 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    can't remember, think my ranking was 2 1 3.
  • catheriner3482
    catheriner3482 Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    dingaling wrote: »
    Not being funny mate, but I know what an abnormal gain is thanks. Its physically impossible to get more out than you put in which is why my totor is ringing AAT tmro to find out.

As for getting it wrong, I think you are making the wrong assumption because I know how to work out the cost per kg based on the exoected output.

Please don't talk to me anymore, and I would recommend buying a new book!

clearly you don't know what an abnormal gain is, or you would know it's a gain that's abnormal, not expected, shouldn't happed! but has happend. look in ur book and you'll see it's called an abnormal gain!
  • Spans
    Spans Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    oh my god what a nightmare

resat the ECR today after failing in June. I thought the first half was ok - a couple of odd little things i had to stop and think about carefully but generally that section was fine. the second section was a nightmare! the first question has never come up on a paper before. I know they are testing our adaptability but come on AAT! it was mental! also, i really struggled for ages on the process account but i managed to balance it eventually and got an abnormal gain of 40 and unit price on that of £30.00 and balanced both sides at 15942 or 15492 or something (can't remember the exact figures), but looking through everyone's comments that seems to be about right. that net present cost thing was a bit weird. i think overall, they put far too many things in to throw candidates. instead of just the odd thing here and there to put you off, everything seemed to be there to throw you! i think they made the exam far too hard and it didn't really reflect how much revision i did! i spent ages revising!! but then, having said that - the first section seemed fine and if most people did struggle on the same stuff on the second half the likelihood is the exam board will lower the pass rate!
  • Marga
    Think that was possibly the only question I liked! Made a profit and everything! Can't remember the figures tho :s

i think the profit was 30000?
  • meibaker
    yeah, i agree, limiting factor is the only question i liked in section 2.
  • dingaling
    Marga wrote: »
    i think you can have 515kg even if you put just 500kg...this is because it said that the DIRECT materials were 500 never said anything about indirect material....lets say it is paint....you put in 500 kg worth of red paint....you can end up with 515kg of paint because you can have used for example water to clean the bowl were you mix it and this is an indirect material that can be accumulated making the extra kilos ...the paint wont be of that much quality but hey ho thats the only common sense explanation i can think of....

about the P&L i have the exam on wednesday for unit 5 so i tried to much as match as i could....

I see where you're coming from and good luck for weds! Lets hope the examiner is less mean!
  • meibaker

yeah, mine is the same.
  • dingaling
    clearly you don't know what an abnormal gain is, or you would know it's a gain that's abnormal, not expected, shouldn't happed! but has happend. look in ur book and you'll see it's called an abnormal gain!

Shhhhh
  • meibaker
    what's the contribution per unit for MC?
  • dingaling

My book is top notch thanks and I think you will find you are wrong! Such is life...
  • Marga
    I see where you're coming from and good luck for weds! Lets hope the examiner is less mean!

thanks
  • Spans
    anyone got any other exams this week? ECR was my resit today but i have the DFS exam for level 4/diploma level on Wednesday morning and i am sooooo scared!!!!!
  • catheriner3482
    meibaker wrote: »
    yeah, i agree, limiting factor is the only question i liked in section 2.

ditto, the only simple question on section. i think i put 2,1,3
  • dingaling

sounds about right! Think I got that too!
  • Marga
    meibaker wrote: »
    what's the contribution per unit for MC?
    got £5 i think if i remember right?
  • Marga
    sounds about right! Think I got that too!

YAY!!!

about the P&L question anyone go £57000 and £60000?

do you also know when the past paper will be available for download?
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉

I got that aswell, I completely got the profit one wrong though for the second part of the question.
  • catheriner3482
    My book is top notch thanks and I think you will find you are wrong! Such is life...

clearly not, seems as you don't understand about abnormal gain! yet you seemed to understand when the other members explained it in terms of paint!
  • catheriner3482

yeah, i got £5 too. hopefuuly that's right. couldn't do the profit and loss, the second part to the same question though.
  • Spans
    definitely was abnormal gain of 40 cos that was the only way possible to balance off the process account!
  • meibaker
    yeah,i've got this right, but did not know how to work out the profit on 2.1!
  • Spans
    yeah, i got £5 too. hopefuuly that's right. couldn't do the profit and loss, the second part to the same question though.

yeh i got £5
  • catheriner3482
    Spans wrote: »
    definitely was abnormal gain of 40 cos that was the only way possible to balance off the process account!

thank you, hopefully dingaling will stoping inplying i'm thick coz i said it was an abnormal gain of 40!
  • Pricey
    Pricey Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Yes I got an abnormal gain of 40 units as well.
  • Spans
    thank you, hopefully dingaling will stoping inplying i'm thick coz i said it was an abnormal gain of 40!

it was the only way to balance it. 515 output + 25 normal loss = 540 therefore if direct material input was 500 then there had to be 40 added to the left side and the only thing that it could be is abnormal gain. it took me ages though to get it to balance as i couldn't work out the unit price for the abnormal gain and output so i managed to get it to 30 and balanced both sides. seem to have got the same answer as most people on here so i am relieved (not that it's definitely correct but at least if everyone's done the same thing then that's good!)
  • missy
    missy Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor ⭐
    YAY!!!

about the P&L question anyone go £57000 and £60000?

do you also know when the past paper will be available for download?
    i think i got 57,000 and 60,000
  • dingaling
    clearly not, seems as you don't understand about abnormal gain! yet you seemed to understand when the other members explained it in terms of paint!

If the ACTUAL loss is less than the EXPECTED loss the difference is known as an abnormal gain and can therefore not magically make itself into and extra 15 when you only began with 500!
  • NO BUSINESS CASE
    NO BUSINESS CASE Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    same here abnormal gain 40 and unit price £30 per kg. Must be honest I thought it strange that abnormal gain made it more than that what went into the pot but just went with the flow!!

P&L I just had a stab at to be honest but overall section 2 was ok for me as that is the section I have been revising on with gusto!

Hated the group bonus question just was a bit more confusing that it needed to be and changed my answer about 3/4 times!!!

All in all glad it is done and may squeak through if there is a fair wind!!
Privacy Policy