Emails from: NICO@hmrc.gov.uk

WHOPPIT
WHOPPIT Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
We have recently received 2 emails from NICO@HMRC.GOV.UK - Stating that the self employed on-line registration had been rejected for incorrect NI Number

The email fails to give the name of the client we were trying to register.

There are no other details on the email as to where it has come from other than a KN reference number.

The email does not permit you to return the email to its sender and all the following helpline numbers were unable to direct us to who had sent the email:

Self Assessment IT Helpdesk

NI Help Line

Self-employed NI Helpline

Self-employed on line registration 'back office' Helpline

Has anyone else had similar emails and if so what have you been able to do about it if NO ONE at HMRC knows where it has come from! Woe betide if they end up sending us a penalty on behalf of the 'unknown' client.

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I would put money on it being a scam. I would expect a letter in the post from HMRC.
    Regards,

Burg
  • MILLY21
    MILLY21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    I'd put money on it being a scam too, there have been a lot of false emails sent out around our area. Just a quick observation - HMRC would refer to NI and NINO not NICO or am I trying to be too clever about it??

I wouldn't reply and ring HMRC.

Regards M
  • MILLY21
    MILLY21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    I have just googled that address and it does take you to HMRC site - thats strange, let us knw what you discover? (its was the gov.uk that made me curious)
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Normally emails from HMRC i.e. when you submit something online come from something like @edi-government.gov.uk or something like that. Don't think I have ever had one with @hmrc.gov.uk which makes me think its a scam
    Regards,

Burg
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Sounds dodge....has it got any hyperlinks for u to click on?? if so right click and select copy shortcut and paste it to see where it plans on taking u....
  • truecockney
    truecockney Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    It appears to be a scam. There are other varients of the @hmrc.gov.uk domain name on their phishing list.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

Forward the e-mail to phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk and ask them to look into it.

If you have covered all options with the self employed register, then there's nothing else you can do.
Privacy Policy