Employee Holiday entitlements PAYE

A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hi All

Haveing a bit of a payroll nightmare doh day!

Can anyone confirm that the holiday entitlements changed in Apr 2009 to 5.6 from 4.8 and if so if a payroll runs from Jan 1st to Dec31 an employee who works 5 days a week is entitled to 26.6 days holday a year??

Thanks in advance

Vic

Comments

• Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Hi All

Haveing a bit of a payroll nightmare doh day!

Can anyone confirm that the holiday entitlements changed in Apr 2009 to 5.6 from 4.8 and if so if a payroll runs from Jan 1st to Dec31 an employee who works 5 days a week is entitled to 26.6 days holday a year??

Thanks in advance

Vic

Oooh!! sorry Vic I haven't a clue...but you may be able to help me xxxxx if some one works three days a week and varies the day's are they entitled tp a% pay for bank holidays even thought they don't always work Mondays or Fridays?

XX
  • A-Vic
    as long as they work 3 days a week they are entitled to 3x5.6 = 16.8 holidays a year i think but you may want to check as my head hurts with payroll :(
  • A-Vic
    Plus it gets worse as one of the employees went part time in June so need to work that out also
  • A-Vic
    The new rules come in two stages adding four days from 1 October 2007, with a further four days added on 1 April 2009.
    It is important to understand that this is not an automatic right to take public holidays as paid leave.
    If an employee had to work on Christmas Day before, the employee will still have to.
    But it does mean that the employee gets an extra day off on top of the previous minimum to make up for working on a public holiday.

Employees who work less than the five full days a week enjoy these rights in proportion.

The new rules are best understood in the following way:

ยท From 1 October 2007 the legal minimum paid leave entitlement will increase to 4.8 weeks per year (this is 4 weeks annual leave plus 8 days public holiday)

ยท On 1 April 2009 there will be a further increase to 5.6 weeks.

Dianne :)
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
  • A-Vic
    Fab thanks poodle it worked out at 27.1 for five days
  • truecockney
    truecockney Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi A-Vic,

From April 2009, the minimum holiday requirements for all employees changed to 5.6 weeks from 4.8 weeks. This can include Bank Holidays co could, in effect, require any employer to give a minimum of 20 days (4 weeks) holiday in their terms and conditions. If any Bank Holiday is worked, however, they must give that day "in lieu" for their employee to be entitled to the minimum requirements.

From Jan 09 - Dec 09
    3 months @ 4.8 wks = 1.2 wks
    9 months @ 5.6 wks = 4.2 wks
    This employee would be entitled to 5.4 wks holiday this calendar year. (YAY came up with the same answer :))
  • A-Vic
    have a bit of confustion with reducement of hours for one staff memeber there payroll runs as said Jan to Dec one employee was on 5 days till june 10th then reduced to 3 days a week ever since
  • truecockney
    Hi Dianne,

It is only deemed for normal working days as far as I'm aware. If they only work Tues-Thurs, then they would not normally be entitled to automatic pay for any Bank Holidays that fall on a Monday or Friday.

They would definitely be entitled to 17 days holiday though, minimum (although that is considered to be the usual 5.6 weeks of working time).
  • truecockney
    3 months @ 4.8 wks = 1.2 wks
    2.33 months @ 5.6 wks = 1.09 wks
    6.67 months @ 5.6 wks = 1.87 wks [full] (pro-rata'd at 3/5)

I work that out at 20.8 days (or 21 as no rounding down allowed). Let's hope that makes sense!
  • A-Vic
    i get it at 17 days (rounded up)
  • A-Vic
    thanks everyone saved that site its gonna help as 32 payrolls to go lol and a pub with 21 employees different hours every week (yiks)
  • Diannew
    Hi Dianne,

It is only deemed for normal working days as far as I'm aware. If they only work Tues-Thurs, then they would not normally be entitled to automatic pay for any Bank Holidays that fall on a Monday or Friday.

They would definitely be entitled to 17 days holiday though, minimum (although that is considered to be the usual 5.6 weeks of working time).

Thank you x

her normal hours are Tue-Thu but we are very flexi and she can alter them to any day in the week...but she has used all her holls and wants from 21 Dec 2009 - 4th Jan 2010 off unpaid but she thought she was entitled to be paid for xmas day, boxing day and new years day (as a %) ??

I need a drink LOL as I am sure A Vic does xx
  • truecockney
    I don't blame you for wanting a drink (can I join you?)! It was meant to be easy, but is certainly anything but!

As I read it, she wouldn't be entitled to anything for Xmas, Boxing or New Years Day, unless she has been paid for all other Bank Holidays automatically, as they don't fall on her normal working days. Not sure what would happen if she had taken less than the 17 days off though so I won't go into that.
  • Diannew
    I don't blame you for wanting a drink (can I join you?)! It was meant to be easy, but is certainly anything but!

As I read it, she wouldn't be entitled to anything for Xmas, Boxing or New Years Day, unless she has been paid for all other Bank Holidays automatically, as they don't fall on her normal working days. Not sure what would happen if she had taken less than the 17 days off though so I won't go into that.

Thank you x

long way to share a drink....but I will raise my glass to you tonight LOL
Privacy Policy