Sage year end - is there another way?

sheelagh
sheelagh Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Following all the usual discussions and assurances that my client was happy with his year end figures, I sent a backup of the data to his accountant, closed the year on Sage and continued to enter data. We have entered approx 300 transactions since the year end was run.
The client has now provided information which affects the closed year (sales ledger write-offs), and the accountant wants to discard the backup I provided and has asked me to provide a new year-end backup which includes the newly provided information.
My first thought is that I need to restore to the original "before year end" backup and add the new information, thus keeping the accountant happy. I would then need to re-enter all the work I have done since I first closed the year.
It is my intention to try to persuade the accountant to work with the original year end backup and make necessary journal entries to the data already provided, but failing that, is there an easier way to deal with this in my copy of Sage?

Comments

• Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Sage year end

Hi Sheelagh

Did you take a backup prior to running the year end?

If you did, you could create a new company (slightly different name) using this backup to restore, then input the additional transactions and then run the prints again etc etc. You could then make the amendments to the original version (current year) via journals to whichever accounts have been altered.

However, saying that, I also think that the accountant could amend via journals aswell.

As the client has caused this additional work, ensure you are recompensed for the time spent.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It surely is a better option for the accountant to deal with the sales ledger write offs via journals!

I'm sure if you let them know how much work it will cause you if you have to do run year end again, they will back off.

Good luck
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You could restore the old backup, post the accountants journals and then send him that copy. Then restore your current backup, post the journals again so you have the correct opening balances whilst keeping your transactions to date.

It does mean posting journals twice but at least you don't have to re-post the 300 or so transactions.
  • sheelagh
    Year End

Thank you both for your comments. It's nice to have some support in my plan to ask the accountant to make the adjustments without us undoing all the work we have done.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It surely is a better option for the accountant to deal with the sales ledger write offs via journals!

I'm sure if you let them know how much work it will cause you if you have to do run year end again, they will back off.

Good luck

Yup, accountant should really make adjustments in his accounts program and then do opening balances that you post into the current year in sage to take the write offs into effect.
  • sheelagh
    I did consider reversing the year end journal and changing the year end in Sage. Any thoughts on that?
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    A lot of work just for a few write offs!

The accountant should know how much work is in reversing a year end in sage!

If they are not prepared to do opening balances for you then ask them for a copy of the closing TB once the accounts are complete and you will input OBals yourself.
  • mc25
    mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I would stick with jounals if possible.I cannot see why the accountant doesn't want to deal with journals.

Or like some of have already said, do a back up restore the back up before year end, then do a back up for the accountant, then restore your files back then when the accountant has done his year end stuff he will send you all the necessary journals for you to match his records for that year end.
    Hope this helps
Privacy Policy