CMCC or Audit???

jow774
jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I am just about to start another distance learning unit and was wondering which would be more beneficial for a small private sector business CMCC or Audit and what experiences other people have had of these two unit?

Thanks

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    jow774 wrote: ยป
    I am just about to start another distance learning unit and was wondering which would be more beneficial for a small private sector business CMCC or Audit and what experiences other people have had of these two unit?

Thanks

Personally having done CMCC if would say it is suited to industry for cedit control ect
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Many of the things you'd learn in CMCC are cross sector as even accountancy practices need to have adequate cash planning, credit control procedures and be able to collect their debts (which in my experience, they're sometimes quite poor at!)
  • A-Vic
    Many of the things you'd learn in CMCC are cross sector as even accountancy practices need to have adequate cash planning, credit control procedures and be able to collect their debts (which in my experience, they're sometimes quite poor at!)

True but correct me if am wrong (as our firm dont perform audits) i would say this is more for practise over industry
  • jow774
    I did think that A-Vic but we do get audited at work and I thought a bit of knowledge on what they are looking at may be useful. Im just indecisive and want someone else to decide for me, lol. Perhaps the question should be which one is easiest.
  • A-Vic
    I did think that A-Vic but we do get audited at work and I thought a bit of knowledge on what they are looking at may be useful. Im just indecisive and want someone else to decide for me, lol. Perhaps the question should be which one is easiest.

Well also if continuing to ACCA there are audit papers involved so proir knowledge is a good thing. I wanted to try it myself but college wont offer the unit so had to do CMCC and taxes.

Anyway good luck with choosing :)
  • jow774
    Thanks,

I think CMCC is the way forward for me too.
  • A-Vic
    Also its not easy i really struggled with this unit - not helping much am i lol
  • jow774
    No, lol. Suddenly audit looks so much more attractive!

I dont really know what either entails so I guess it may be best to do a bit of research.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi jow, sorry to hikack your thread. Not had a particularly good last couple of days, but seeing you cat again has brought a smile to my face, ta!
  • jow774
    No worries, glad he made you smile.

:-)
  • Criggers
    Criggers Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor โญ
    I did both of these Units at college and in my experience they were both fairly simple units. They are both simulations so quite self explanatory in what to do. I think Auditing is more writing and CMCC is the slightly more number crunching of the two.
  • A-Vic
    There you go jow do both choice made lol
  • jow774
    Im wondering whether to just do three exams (DFS, PTC and BTC) now instead. Did I mention just how indecisive I am, lol.
  • Criggers
    Criggers Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor โญ
    Im wondering whether to just do three exams (DFS, PTC and BTC) now instead. Did I mention just how indecisive I am, lol.

The problem with exams is they are easy to go wrong. Miss something out on revision that then throws your whole exam off as you stress yourself, you could be ill etc. Anything really.

The good thing about the simulation units is they are extremely hard to fail and fairly quickly to do. Where I studied my tutor referred to them as "banker units" since it is harder to mess up than to complete. Just get it done in a couple of weeks and then you'll have lots of time for the Unit 10 work and revision for remaining exams.
  • A-Vic
    I have to agree however much i dislike simulations they are a lot less easy to fail
  • jow774
    I know what you are saying but as my employer isnt paying and I am, Im doing it as cheaply as I can. Buying the books and taking the exam = cheaper than paying a provider for the simulation. If my employer would pay I would definately take the double simulation route and just do DFS, but sadly cash is tight.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Kind of a related discussion to CMCC:

http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=25452

If you're doing a module solely to pass the qualification then do the easiest. If you're doing one to hopefully use it sometime in the future, you need to know where that future might lie, not just in six months time but maybe in two or three years. If you'll work forever in practice then you may not need CMCC but if you ever want to work for yourself as an MIP, then audit may be of little use and CMCC a great deal of use.

What good is it to prepare the books of some local trader if the figures are showing them and you that their business is going down the swanny? And if they were to ask you for advice to slow down or prevent it, would you just say 'sorry, you can't help but you can audit their figures'?!
  • jow774
    True Blobby, I can see the sense in that. CMCC is probably much more useful to me as I did an internal audit course years ago and found it all to be common sense stuff. I'll just have to spend my xmas pennies on CMCC! lol.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    I'll do a CMCC class on line in January
    If you can't afford a paid class this has no fee, but you'll need time free 4-5 on Monday and Friday afternoons
    [post=181552]Sandy Hood Unit 15 CMCC online classes post [/post]
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Highlander1
    Highlander1 Registered Posts: 9 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I'll do a CMCC class on line in January
    If you can't afford a paid class this has no fee, but you'll need time free 4-5 on Monday and Friday afternoons
    [post=181552]Sandy Hood Unit 15 CMCC online classes post [/post]
    Will you be running this again Sandy?
Privacy Policy