What's the next step?

Options
fadhel
fadhel Registered Posts: 4 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
i'm planning to study a Master in accounting in UK, but i'm not sure if my AAT will qualify me.
Please advise me.

Comments

• Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Can we have some more information on what you want and where you are coming from?

You want to do a Masters in Accounting? MSc or MRes, presumably?

I'm not going to go into 'why', but I will say this:
    The AAT is not an academic qualification.
    You will almost certainly need a bachelors degree first.
    Do you have a BSc or BA? In accounting? (although a broader business or finance might be ok)
  • fadhel
    Options
    Some schools in UK require "degree-equivalent professional qualification" instead of BSc in order to enter MSc programme, so im wondering if the AAT is considered as a degree-equivalent or not ?
    becouse BSc which i have in business informatics
    thanks
  • Bookworm55
    Options
    fadhel wrote: ยป
    Some schools in UK require "degree-equivalent professional qualification" instead of BSc in order to enter MSc programme, so im wondering if the AAT is considered as a degree-equivalent or not ?
    becouse BSc which i have in business informatics
    thanks

It's down to the discretion of the individual business school. You'd be better off talking to them.

The AAT is not a degree-equivalent programme. I'd argue that it's around an HND in level. However, since you have a BSc, and a lower-level accounting qualification, you may be able to get onto an course directly. But I can't stress enough that you should approach the admissions office of the business schools yourself.

Out of curiousity, why are you interested in pursuing a masters in accounting?
  • fadhel
    Options
    After AAT i'd like to enhance my profile by getting a high qualification, and as you know ACCA and CIMA both require a min 3 yrs experience in accounting to become a full member. Unfortunatly my work experience in marketing.
    any suggestion?
  • Bookworm55
    Options
    fadhel wrote: ยป
    After AAT i'd like to enhance my profile by getting a high qualification, and as you know ACCA and CIMA both require a min 3 yrs experience in accounting to become a full member. Unfortunatly my work experience in marketing.
    any suggestion?

Unless your goals are primarily academic, I don't think a Masters degree would add value. You don't need three years experience to start ACCA or CIMA, just to get full membership after you've passed all the exams. I'm in the early stages of CIMA and don't have anywhere near enough experience for full membership, but I'm trying to get into a role where I can develop some.

As you say you have marketing experience, I'd be inclined to suggest you take a look at CIMA (www.cimaglobal.com), which includes marketing in its syllabus and is more geared towards commerce and industry. (ACCA would be acceptable but makes an effort to be generalist in its approach)

Are you working in accounts at the moment?
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If you want to do a masters then why not consider an MBA. Probably much more respected than a masters in accounting.
  • fadhel
    Options
    Unfortunately, my accounting experience is 0, and here it's so hard to find a job with only AAT. that's why i looking forward to 1 year master to boost my opportunity to work in the accounting field, so then i can start ACCA or CIMA which both takes at least 2-3 years.

Yes, i do agree MBA more respected in terms of my practical experience.
    But I'm really feel confused between accounting and marketing, although i find the accounting is more suitable with my personal skills.
Privacy Policy